Cambridge Aero 2 - Amazing Bookshelf Speakers

smargo

Cambridge Aero 2 - Amazing Bookshelf Speakers
« on: 21 May 2014, 06:46 pm »
this is what they look like http://www.spearitsound.com/Main_Left_and_Right-Cambridge_Audio_Aero_2.html - i have had them up in my listening space since november - it is hard to take them down. They sound like their $2000-$3000 speakers

They provide a sound that once you hear it you will say - how do they do that for $495

This is strictly high end sound to the hilt - Im using them on el cheapo stands that cost $69

I know there are hundreds and hundreds of speakers out there - im telling you these are great at giving an auditory illusion

If they arent on someones product of the year - then i dont know anything about sound.

I know they are not $79 tp $120 like those pioneer speakers - but they simply blow away into eternity those pioneers.

2gumby2

Re: Cambridge Aero 2 - Amazing Bookshelf Speakers
« Reply #1 on: 12 Jun 2014, 01:06 pm »
I just purchased a pair of these Aero 2 speakers and I am very impressed. They have a huge soundstage considering their size and they sound great no matter what genre of music I'm listening to. Highly recommended!

smargo

« Reply #2 on: 12 Jun 2014, 03:02 pm »
I just purchased a pair of these Aero 2 speakers and I am very impressed. They have a huge soundstage considering their size and they sound great no matter what genre of music I'm listening to. Highly recommended!

arent they really good and unexpected for what they look like and cost? - i have been harping about how good they are for the last 6 months

Cambridge - who would have thought?

ThomDP

« Reply #3 on: 12 Jun 2014, 04:29 pm »
Looks like Cambridge just outdid themselves with the Aeromax line.

http://youtu.be/wQsxR3J7Ne4

http://www.cambridgeaudio.com/pages/aeromax-speakers

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #4 on: 16 Jun 2014, 12:36 pm »

smargo

« Reply #5 on: 16 Jun 2014, 03:14 pm »
Actually - The aero 2 book shelves are $499 - they have the 3rd generation tweeter - thats what i have

and they just came out with the aeromax bookshelf - they are $749 - and feature a 4th generation tweeter

i have not heard the aeromax! but if its a more refined version of the aero's - omg

for $499 the aero 2's offer so much of the high end its mind boggling

mick wolfe

« Reply #6 on: 17 Jun 2014, 05:59 pm »
Just a few questions on the Aero 2. Do they work well and disappear in the near field? ( sound stage behind the front plane of the speakers)  In other words, do they work well in a small room? Spec wise they look to be an  excellent match for medium powered tube amps.  Can they play reasonably loud with a sense of ease? ( mid to high 80's in db with an occasional 100 db peak) Thx for any input.

smargo

« Reply #7 on: 17 Jun 2014, 06:20 pm »
Just a few questions on the Aero 2. Do they work well and disappear in the near field? ( sound stage behind the front plane of the speakers)  In other words, do they work well in a small room? Spec wise they look to be an  excellent match for medium powered tube amps.  Can they play reasonably loud with a sense of ease? ( mid to high 80's in db with an occasional 100 db peak) Thx for any input.

To me they arent real sensitive - i dont know for sure but my estimation is 86 or 87db may even 85db - they totally disappear - incredible imaging - (they sing with one voice) - they are ideal for a small room - im using them in a somewhat larger spaced room with very good results

they can play loud with a ss amp - i havent really tried them with a medium power tube amp

randytsuch

« Reply #8 on: 17 Jun 2014, 06:38 pm »
Soundstage really liked them
http://www.soundstagehifi.com/index.php/equipment-reviews/700-cambridge-audio-aero-2-loudspeakers

The BMR tweeter looks pretty interesting, I would guess that is what makes this sound special.

I may buy a few drivers to play with, parts express sells them.

mick wolfe

« Reply #9 on: 17 Jun 2014, 06:41 pm »
Thanks for the reply. Their spec page showed them to measure 90 db efficient. That caught my eye. Strange they're that far off from stated in efficiency. Not a big issue with tube amps if the impedance curve is benign.  Tube amps in general play louder with ease than a solid state amp of equal power rating.

smargo

« Reply #10 on: 17 Jun 2014, 07:59 pm »
Soundstage really liked them
http://www.soundstagehifi.com/index.php/equipment-reviews/700-cambridge-audio-aero-2-loudspeakers

The BMR tweeter looks pretty interesting, I would guess that is what makes this sound special.

I may buy a few drivers to play with, parts express sells them.

To me - the bmr driver is a real breakthru - it sounds so right to me!

Thanks for the reply. Their spec page showed them to measure 90 db efficient. That caught my eye. Strange they're that far off from stated in efficiency. Not a big issue with tube amps if the impedance curve is benign.  Tube amps in general play louder with ease than a solid state amp of equal power rating.

i know the company says 90db - but i think that is realistically slightly off - not sure of the impedance

mick wolfe

« Reply #11 on: 17 Jun 2014, 09:21 pm »
I appreciate your honest evaluation on efficiency. Not unusual for speaker manufacturer's to get a bit enthusiastic in this area. Of the speakers I've bought over the last several years, only the Salk Songtowers seem to be accurately rated for efficiency at 88 db.  At times they seem to actually better that spec.

Wind Chaser

« Reply #12 on: 17 Jun 2014, 09:23 pm »
Cambridge Audio, not to be confused with Cambridge SoundWorks? Didn't know they made speakers. Are these their own unique drivers or are there other companies that use this technology?

Wind Chaser

« Reply #13 on: 17 Jun 2014, 11:18 pm »
What are you guys powering these with?

randytsuch

« Reply #14 on: 17 Jun 2014, 11:42 pm »
Cambridge Audio, not to be confused with Cambridge SoundWorks? Didn't know they made speakers. Are these their own unique drivers or are there other companies that use this technology?

It looks like this company makes the driver.  Click on the review button to see other speakers
http://www.cotswoldsoundsystems.com/index.php

2gumby2

« Reply #15 on: 18 Jun 2014, 12:18 pm »
What are you guys powering these with?
I'm using a Music Hall Maven receiver and the sound is quite impressive.

Wind Chaser

« Reply #16 on: 20 Jun 2014, 08:40 pm »
None of the Cambridge dealers around here carry them, much less seem to know anything about them. That's odd. So I emailed the Canadian distributor (Plurison) but they have yet to respond.