WireWorld Starlight USB cable
EE Minimax DAC Plus - all DEXA op-amps
All line level and speaker cables are Groneberg Reference
Zu Birth AC cable
Odyssey Tempest preamp
Zu Birth AC cable
Odyssey Stratos Plus Stereo amp
Silver High Breed 6 awg AC cable
REL R-205 sub on a custom platform which sits on top of an Auralex SubDudeHD platform.
Pangea Audio DS300 stands filled and sitting on Herbie's Audio Lab Giant Fat Gliders
Room mods: a bunch of bass traps and a custom room coupler.

Fritz REV 5 :
5 1/2 inch Scan Speak 15W/8530K-00 5" Revelator Woofer
ScanSpeak Classic D2905/9500 1" Tweeter Textile Dome
Acoustic Reality Series crossover: 1st order @ 2200 Hz - no capacitors or resistors in the circuit with the tweeter.

I was planning on writing this review a couple of months ago, but after a freak set of events where I lost much of my reference music, it has been difficult to deal with anything audio. But it's time to dust myself off and review these tiny beasts.

After spending several months auditioning every new and used speaker in the $2-5k range that I could find around Los Angeles, I finally called Fritz from fritzspeakers.com. Without hesitation he agreed to haul over several of his speakers to my home. Fritz is one of the nicest and most patient people in the industry that I have ever met.

Coming from full range floor standers (Legacy Classics) and spending a lot of time listening to Maggies, B&Ws, Thiels, some custom horns, Focals, Gallo Reference 3.1s, etc,  I did not think that I could find any monitors that would do the trick.

Fritz brought in Carbon 7 floor standers, Carbon 7 monitors, Rev 5 monitors, and another pair of monitors with some sharp tipped tweeters. Not having any stands at the time, he used his own monitors as stands.

Learning that my taste ranges from Classical to Death Metal to Folk, and a lot of genres in between, but being most picky when it comes to Classical music, Fritz suggested that we start with the Carbon 7 monitors.

Man those babies rocked! Very live. Tons of energy and slam - which is saying a lot after comparing them to my previous beasts with of 2 carbon fiber 6.5" and 4 10" drivers. Amazing soundstage and accuracy. They went low enough not to need a sub. Not having negotiated prices, I was failing to conceal my massive grin.  The only minor weakens that I could find with them was that the highs were slightly rolled off, and they did not have the speed of horns and full ribbons - but they were still a crazy bargain. Ok I found my new babies. Let's run quickly through the rest of the speakers so that I can call some friends over and celebrate.

The floor standing Carbon 7s  were just as good but with a bit more low end and tad smaller sound stage. For the price, I was still settled on Carbon 7 monitors.

I can't remember the sound of the other monitors with the sharp tweeters, but I still preferred the Carbon 7s. I was pretty much done. Let's give a quick listen to the Rev 5s with their puny 5.5" woofers so that we can talk about finish options of Carbon 7s.

Plugged in the Rev 5s, and before I even got back to the listening seat, I was floored. Wow! Extremely accurate, fast and light - outperformed even the full ribbons that I've ever heard.  Lots of clean timbre. Wide open, pitch black sound stage. Bass? Lets just say that we had to make sure the sub was switched off - a few times(!). Good impact. Without doubt, put every speaker I had auditions up to now to shame. The only slight edge that Carbon 7s had over these was that they had more slam. If I was primarily listening to rock and R&B, maybe I would think twice, but especially when it comes to acoustic music, the Rev 5s are unmatched.

After breaking them in, setting them on top of the Pangea DS300 stands, they now have even more slam. I don't have the Carbon 7s for a direct comparison, but there is absolutely no lack of slam. 

It took me a long time to find a sub that could keep up with the amazing speed of these speakers. After an extensive search found a REL R-205 which is the only one that managed a tight, accurate, musical, seamless disappearing act. But still the sub is set close to it's lowest crossover and volume settings, so realistically I can't say that I really needed it for much of my music.

Don't tell Fritz but, if I had the money, I would have gladly paid $5k for Rev 5s and been just as happy.

PS
One note on the Pangea DS300s: they are very good sturdy stands but the top plate size is 6"x8.5" not 7.5"x7.5" as advertised.  

RSB

Re: Fritz Audio Rev 5 speakers
« Reply #1 on: 20 Feb 2014, 03:24 am »
Nice review!  The Fritzes and stands look really nice!

I'm looking for a monitor for my den (read man cave).  There's not much room, so the speakers will need to be somewhat close to the rear wall (fronts maybe 22" away).  From your pic's looks like yours are fairly far out.  How do you think they would sound closer to the rear wall?  What size is your room?

Thanks,

Randy

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #2 on: 20 Feb 2014, 03:34 am »
I've heard a huge number of speakers, after having been in this hobby for almost 20 years, and doing RMAF show coverage for several years.  I will state unequivocally that Fritz makes one of the best speakers in the business, regardless of price.  From a value standpoint - off the charts.  And he does it in that low key, unruffled, no-bullshit way that MANY other vendors should take note of. 

arthur

« Reply #3 on: 20 Feb 2014, 04:29 am »
Yes - definitely a good man. I'm absolutely blown away by how good of a deal these speakers are.

My room is around 15x18. I just moved the speaker closer to the back wall for you. The overall sound is still great except, expectedly, the sound stage is not as deep and there is increase in pressure in the ~100hz range in my room. Nothing some appropriate room treatments and/or equalization can't fix.

ajayrav

« Reply #4 on: 20 Feb 2014, 04:37 am »
That Scanspeak driver combo is awesome.  I have the ACI Sapphire XLs which have the 5.5 inch Scan Speak sliced paper Revelator mid-woofer coupled with the 9500 tweeter and it is marvelous in my small listening room.  I've heard the Fritz Rev 5s at the California audio show and they sounded great.

Ajay

bunky

« Reply #5 on: 20 Feb 2014, 04:47 am »
Fritz Audio is known for making very impressive loudspeakers with top shelf drivers at very reasonable prices.

PMAT

« Reply #6 on: 20 Feb 2014, 06:35 am »
"And he does it in that low key, unruffled, no-bullshit way that MANY other vendors should take note of.  :D"

Thank the audio gods. I would love to hear them. A quick aside...... Is there any way to put a bullshit filter on AC?
I work in a business place with a lot of sharp people. One manager has a gag toy called a "bullshit" button. When you press it a voice shouts BULLSHIT! Sometimes I wish a moderator would have one of these buttons. Just sayin.

JohnR

« Reply #7 on: 20 Feb 2014, 09:43 am »
Sometimes I wish a moderator would have one of these buttons. Just sayin.

Gee, if everybody who said something about what a moderator should or should not do actually volunteered to be one, it might even be worth making one of those buttons. Just sayin.

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #8 on: 20 Feb 2014, 10:29 am »
I met the man years ago, before I knew about or had heard his speakers, wish it had been the other way around.

audiogoober

« Reply #9 on: 20 Feb 2014, 01:01 pm »
I  will state unequivocally that Fritz makes one of the best speakers in the business, regardless of price.  From a value standpoint - off the charts.   

+1
« Last Edit: 20 Feb 2014, 02:03 pm by audiogoober »

strateahed

« Reply #10 on: 20 Feb 2014, 06:49 pm »
I will state unequivocally that Fritz makes one of the best speakers in the business, regardless of price.  From a value standpoint - off the charts.  And he does it in that low key, unruffled, no-bullshit way that MANY other vendors should take note of.

+1 more

I first met Fritz at the inaugural Cal Audio Show. He was on his way to taking a break, handed the remote to me to audition his speakers while he hung out in the hallway for a little while. Came back in with "... well, what do you think (smiling)? Let me know if you want me to come by and set 'em up at your place." That was it ... no hype, no pressure, no BS. Just a real good guy with quality products.

jonbee

« Reply #11 on: 20 Feb 2014, 09:33 pm »
Great drivers, talented designer. And... the secret sauce- a well designed series crossover. Every properly executed series xover speaker I've ever heard had improved dynamics, imaging and coherence compared to similar parallel designs. Very cool!

RSB

« Reply #12 on: 21 Feb 2014, 04:26 am »
Arthur - 

Thanks!  I just love the way those speakers look!  I'm going to put them on my shortlist!
What color wood/laminate are your speakers?

Randy

rockedharder

« Reply #13 on: 21 Feb 2014, 07:18 am »
For those interested, a Fritz fix can be found over at the Part-Time Audiophile website. I think many may have missed this one as the focus of the review is Woo Audio and Fritz does not appear to have a link listed. A good opportunity to check out another one of his creations.

http://parttimeaudiophile.com/2013/12/20/woo-audio-wa5-300b-amplifier/

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #14 on: 21 Feb 2014, 10:40 am »
Great drivers, talented designer. And... the secret sauce- a well designed series crossover. Every properly executed series xover speaker I've ever heard had improved dynamics, imaging and coherence compared to similar parallel designs. Very cool!

+1

Quality drivers allow for use of the series crossover, simple right?  I agree 110% on your series crossovers statement.  And at the end of the day we're mostly listening to drivers and crossovers, so why not use quality?  Too much emphasis on fancy veneers (that look better than my solid cherry furniture  :oops:) and that with monitors is small enough to ignore.

He makes it look easy, and it can be if you stick to solid basic concepts and cut the bull.  Most get greedy and so cut corners or come up with 'cute' design concepts that are goofy and/or overly complicated, then charge $$$ for cabinetry/bling.  His example offers lesson for all manufacturers, vendors, and customers.