Whats up everybody!?

gprro

Whats up everybody!?
« on: 6 Feb 2014, 06:31 am »
Anyone still posting in here? Anand, Ritch,? Ran into Steve at audioadvice a month or so ago... Disappeared in to a black hole for the last year it seems like, posting for first time in a while, going to start poking around. Maybe someone can send me to the "hot topics" for the last year or so. New amps, speakers etc. Alot to catch up on!!

richidoo

Re: Whats up everybody!?
« Reply #1 on: 14 Feb 2014, 09:33 pm »
Still here! It's been a slow season for hifi around triangle, no g2gs for a while. :(  Last one was in fall, Anand came up we had a good time spinning vinyl.

I built a pair of Meniscus Audio's Kairos 2way speakers, they sound really nice. Destination worthy...  :thumb:  I'm still experimenting with boxes for them, building sand filled boxes this week.  I will be adding a pair of GR/Rhythmik subs to them later this year. I hope they are still available when I'm ready.

Have you been building anything new Giyan?

I installed a Legato output stage into my Buffalo2 DAC, with transformer output coupling instead of caps. Makes a huge improvement and I love it. I bought a Samet I-15 integrated amp for my previous 95dB speakers. But it's not enough for these new ones 87dB so I'll be getting his I-60. 

That's it for me. What's everybody else up to?

poseidonsvoice

• Science is not a democracy - Earl Geddes
    • 2 channel/7 channel setup
« Reply #2 on: 14 Feb 2014, 09:47 pm »
Well at our next get together I'll bring my phonostage over. I've just been busy spinning vinyl and snowed in! I have lots of other projects pending just no time.

We got about 12 inches here near the Blue Ridge...

Best,
Anand.

gprro

« Reply #3 on: 19 Feb 2014, 08:46 am »
Hey, What's up guys!

Yeah, been a slow year audio wise and otherwise for me too, really just recovering from all the crap from the last couple years, just now getting back into it. Have an almost new Soundsmith smmc 2 cart I sent to Soundsmith to get full upgrade to new Boheme status, just new ebony body and freshened and tweaked motor. Looking forward to that.

Actually, project wise, would like to tweak out my technics table as far as I can. Maybe try to machine a new platter, possibly brass  :o (not bronze as I said earlier, was posting really late ;), might be in over my head with that one... at least put a new lower plinth on it.. Still have a speaker kit I need to finish, couple random subs laying around that should be put in boxes too. Would like to redo all speakers and amps, need to come up w money though :duh:

Rich, your system sounds like it's shaping up nicely! The Samet amps are Sol's (sp?) right?  Thought they sounded nice the couple times I heard them. If I can get some things put together, and we both find the time I might have to swing by to compare to the Meniscus, been wanting to hear something of theirs for a while.

Anand, what's you table and phono stage set up? Sounds like everyones been having fun with the vinyl! I've been getting a bunch of thrift store album scores ( some mercury, decca gold label monos, alot of clasical) , I need to start spinning them!

Looking forward to catching up with everybody!

« Last Edit: 19 Feb 2014, 10:23 pm by gprro »

AgentOrange

« Reply #4 on: 19 Feb 2014, 10:02 pm »
I have not died off yet and my systems have seen improvement.
Good to see me still on that great map here on Lake Hartwell.

richidoo

« Reply #5 on: 5 Mar 2014, 05:45 pm »
Yes Sol.   My speakers sound great but they need quieter boxes built, these have a resonance ~200-300. When I get that fixed then I'll do a g2g, come mid to late springish?  Anand, I'd love to hear the new phono! Love trannys and 6n6ps!

rabbits

« Reply #6 on: 6 Jul 2014, 05:08 am »
I finally got a pair of ADS l810s. I plan to use them to replace my SAE MkX main speakers. My center channel, surrounds and sub are all Polks and I am very mindful that I may have phase problems as previously

suggested by Richidoo, but I am determined to try. The speakers arrived the afternoon before Hurricane Arthur came through so I have not taken them out to even look at them yet. They've got to come up three flights of stairs and then I need to get the SAEs down and the ADS up. I run my mains on horizontal brackets that are 7.5 feet off the floor. I'm a 72 year old overweight lawyer so the prospect of getting over a hundred pounds up and over a hundred pounds down is a daunting one even with the help of a husky neighbor. It'll take me a couple of weeks to get everything done and adjusted, but I have high hopes and for better or for worse I'm very much looking forward to writing a review for you to let you know how it goes. I'm almost exclusively a "classical" music listener with some occasional Gene Bertoncini or Bill Evans, but I might just run a little Robert Randolph through these suckers when they're "wired hot." Wish me luck and wait for the next chapter. If there is no next chapter you can assume that I either (a) collapsed on the stairs or (b) fell off the ladder.

JimJ

• Ut Prosim
« Reply #7 on: 24 Jul 2014, 02:26 pm »
Been doing squat stereo-related...although I'm really getting the urge to put together a little tubed setup in my office.

No monoblocks & separates this time, I swear...

richidoo

« Reply #8 on: 29 Jul 2014, 05:52 pm »
Rabbits, good luck with your project! Looking forward to reading your review. Sounds like we have similar tastes in music. LOVE me some Bill Evans, piano and tenor.

I just bought some woofers to add to my Jeff Bagby designed Kairos bookshelfs to make them 3 ways.