cambridge audio - aero 2 - bookshelf speaker

smargo

cambridge audio - aero 2 - bookshelf speaker
« on: 6 Dec 2013, 01:46 pm »
this is by far one of the most unbelievable speakers i have ever listened to. i have been involved with this hobby since 1994 and have heard inexpensive speakers and expensive speakers

this little bookshelf speaker costs only $499 - this is so impressive for the money - it totally blows me away - that i can have this kind of sound for that king of money

nothing impresses me more than an inexpensive component that sounds incredible.

it has the technology in its tweeter called bmr (balanced mode radiator) - it was used in the nxt panels - but never took off

it is now practical - there is no mid bass - only a woofer - because the tweeter handles all the midbass - the result is wonderful

it takes a lot for me to be impressed - cause i think a lot of what i hear is so over-rated - these speakers are very enchanting for the money - they blow away those cheap pioneer speakers albeit at almost 4 times the price - i have had them about 17 days - and approx 4 hours a day of playing - so about 68 hours of running in

for this king of money - im so impressed - i dont want to cry wolf - but you got to here these a little broken in

wagnju

Re: cambridge audio - aero 2 - bookshelf speaker
« Reply #1 on: 7 Dec 2013, 03:25 pm »
I had similar experience with the Cambridge Audio S30 speakers . Unbelievable sound for size and money and they sounded better than some highly regarded much more expensive name brands and also (over)-hyped  speakers  :duh:. What other speaker did you compare them too ?
I'll try to give them a listen when I can get some hands on them .

smargo

« Reply #2 on: 7 Dec 2013, 06:54 pm »
i own a pair of def tech mythos st1's - they are $4000 a pair - floorstanders

and the pioneer bookshelf- bs-22-lr - andrew jones edition - which they blow completely away - at 4 times more the price

they sound alot more like the $4000 speakers

smargo

« Reply #3 on: 16 Dec 2013, 06:42 pm »

it takes a lot for me to be impressed - cause i think a lot of what i hear is so over-rated - these speakers are very enchanting for the money - they blow away those cheap pioneer speakers albeit at almost 4 times the price

Ive had these speakers almost 26 days - i cant take them down from listening to them - these are superb - for $499 they sound so much more expensive than they really are!

they do some many things well - i hope these dont get lost in the myriad of speakers available - becuase they are different - they have a balanced mode radiator as a tweeter (this also handles the midbass) - this tweeter blows away a lot at this price point - it also has a true bass driver - i cant stop gushing about how good they are!!

I havent been this excited after 3 weeks of having a component - as i am now - you got to hear this speaker - to see what it can do

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #4 on: 18 Dec 2013, 05:48 pm »
Intriguing...

harley52

« Reply #5 on: 3 Feb 2015, 05:19 pm »
 I know I'm late in this thread. I had a pr. of the Aero 2's and they have a wide sweetspot which for me, at my age is almost mandatory. They sounded very good to me for the price. Oh, the fake wood veneer is absolutely beautiful. I had read that they had a fake veneer but, when I set them up I had to really look close to confirm that the veneer was fake. That kind of veneer job should be investigated  by many other maker's. It keeps costs down but the veneer is very, very good looking. The casual friend or relative would never know it isn't wood veneer.

Wind Chaser

« Reply #6 on: 4 Feb 2015, 01:01 am »
I don't where the crossover point is for the Aero 2, but I have been using a pair of the Cambridge Audio Minx 21 with the HSU mid bass module. This combination works very nice. The Minx 21 has 2 new updated BMR drivers and rolls off at 130 Hz. The HSU seamlessly blends in and the end result, although nothing is flawless ...it is quite fabulous! And perhaps even more so considering how small it is, and how little it cost.

hesson11

« Reply #7 on: 24 Feb 2015, 12:14 am »
I know I'm late in this thread. I had a pr. of the Aero 2's and they have a wide sweetspot which for me, at my age is almost mandatory.

As an old guy, I'm wondering why a wide sweetspot would be almost mandatory. Am I doing something wrong? :-)
-Bob

harley52

« Reply #8 on: 25 Feb 2015, 08:10 am »
 Hey Bob,
I can't sit in one position for very long before aches and pains start happening. Just leaning to one side or the other helps with the pain. No, you're missing nothing unless you're into pain. :thumb:

bummrush

« Reply #9 on: 25 Feb 2015, 03:10 pm »
500 buys alot of speaker today.I had a pair of mmg's years ago,but had inferior pre amp that hindered them greatly.

hesson11

« Reply #10 on: 25 Feb 2015, 11:51 pm »
Hey Bob,
I can't sit in one position for very long before aches and pains start happening. Just leaning to one side or the other helps with the pain. No, you're missing nothing unless you're into pain. :thumb:

I hear you, Harley. And if I'm not right there with you, I'm not far behind! My knees are starting to hurt just by LYING IN FREAKING BED, for cryin' out loud!
-Bo