Blackfish

poseidonsvoice

• Science is not a democracy - Earl Geddes
    • 2 channel/7 channel setup
Blackfish
« on: 1 Nov 2013, 05:04 am »
This is a recently made documentary (summer 2013) that is a very thought provoking and chilling production of killer whales (orca) in captivity. It is being played on CNN at various times this month (November) before being officially released on DVD later this month. Has garnered very high reviews from the public and various other online magazines. A favorite at the Sundance film festival.

Strongly recommended.

http://blackfishmovie.com

Best,
Anand.

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
Re: Blackfish
« Reply #1 on: 1 Nov 2013, 06:39 am »
Looks good!  I will have to check it out.

Photon46

« Reply #2 on: 1 Nov 2013, 10:05 am »
Agreed, it was a well done documentary worth watching.

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #3 on: 1 Nov 2013, 12:06 pm »
I'll look into this with great interest.

The whole orca entertainment business is pretty ugly the more you look into it.  The SeaWorlds are owned by the Blackstone Group- a profit at all cost type company.  Pick up a copy of "Death at SeaWorld".  I'll never support anything that involves captive Orcas again.  These are highly social animals that function only in maternal groups. They quickly grow ill and psychotic when kept in overgrown concrete bath tubs.

Maritan

« Reply #4 on: 1 Nov 2013, 03:33 pm »
That looks like it's going to be a tough one to watch. I'm not a fan of animals in captivity in general. But these giants need space and a SeaWorld isn't going to provide it.

Not to derail this thread, but there was a similar movie a few years back called The Cove. Here's a link to the trailer:

http://www.thecovemovie.com/WatchTheTrailer.htm

Another really tough movie to watch.

sebrof

« Reply #5 on: 2 Nov 2013, 02:38 am »
I saw it earlier this week, very well done.
If the stuff is true (you never know) then shame on Sea World for sure.

ss397

« Reply #6 on: 7 Nov 2013, 03:18 pm »
This movie had a real affect on me. I will no longer view Sea World, zoo's etc. in the same light. The depiction of capturing the young whales was very emotional, and I do not want to support that kind of activity. The living conditions for the whales in captivity seems to be poor, and bad for their well being. This was a hard movie to watch. I feel really bad for the trainers who died, and even worse for the whales.

ajzepp

« Reply #7 on: 7 Nov 2013, 05:39 pm »
I watched this one last night. I was very apprehensive about it because animal abuse and cruelty is an issue that I have a very hard time with emotionally, especially when I feel completely powerless to do anything about it. I absolutely refuse to watch The Cove because I know what sort of effect it will have on me.

I knew about the intelligence level of Dolphins, but I had no idea Orcas were on the same level. It's truly remarkable to learn about the way they structure their existence and environment. I posted about this film on another forum, and part of the discussion centered on how the decision makers in corporations are so far removed from the impact of their decisions that often times it lays the groundwork for a situation where abuse and cruelty can take place. That appears to be exactly what has happened here with Sea World and one or two other organizations.

I can't relate to people who don't or can't tap into a sense of empathy for other living creatures. And I'm not some animal rights wackjob, either. (That's another discussion...)  People who don't seem to be affected by the suffering of another life - animal, human, or otherwise - perplex me. People who participate in it disgust me. As a result, I cannot see myself ever having anything to do with Sea World again...and as a kid, this was one of the best experiences of my life. It's absolutely shameful that this sort of stuff went on, and I'm glad that this film was made and people are watching. It doesn't have to be this way, and when enough people make the decision to no longer tolerate it, maybe things will finally improve.

This is a bit of a side note, but there are two women early in the film (maybe about 20 min in) who were present at the show where a female trainer was killed. One of the women (the one on the right...brunette colored hair) had this awkward smirk/smile on her face as she shared her version of what took place. I don't know who was filming this, but if it were me I would have brought this to her attention, cause it looked ridiculous, IMO. It was like having someone talk about being at ground zero on 9/11 and smiling as they were discussing what happened...that's what it felt like to me. Did anyone else notice this?

poseidonsvoice

« Reply #8 on: 7 Nov 2013, 06:27 pm »

This is a bit of a side note, but there are two women early in the film (maybe about 20 min in) who were present at the show where a female trainer was killed. One of the women (the one on the right...brunette colored hair) had this awkward smirk/smile on her face as she shared her version of what took place. I don't know who was filming this, but if it were me I would have brought this to her attention, cause it looked ridiculous, IMO. It was like having someone talk about being at ground zero on 9/11 and smiling as they were discussing what happened...that's what it felt like to me. Did anyone else notice this?

AJ,

Yes I did. But given that it was a documentary, I think the director didn't edit much if at all, and showed everything in its entirety. Including the way some humans portray themselves when being interviewed about gruesome and morally culpable situations.

It is an excellent film and I am on the waiting list for the BlueRay. I am keeping in touch with the production team to see what else can be done from our side in order to provide justice, raise awareness, funds, what have you in order to free these Orcas form captivity. They are at least as intelligent as humans. Imagine if as a human, you were chained up in a prison cell, and then asked to do 'acts' for 1-2 hours daily and then placed back in a cell, where the other humans are not part of your family, do not speak your language, and repeatedly beat you for your very existence. And then those captors that have you, wonder why you pursue them in vengeance.

Best,
Anand.

ajzepp

« Reply #9 on: 7 Nov 2013, 07:48 pm »
Anand:

Yeah, I sort of gave her the benefit of the doubt that it was a nervous smirk, it just really took me out of the moment and the gravity of what she was saying was lost of me to a degree. I think the reason why it bothered me was because it came off as disrespectful. I was picturing the victim's family seeing that and feeling awkward, you know?

I'm 100% with you in terms of seeing what can be done to support this...I was truly shocked at the emotional intelligence of these amazing creatures, and it absolutely broke my heart when they discussed and showed the separation of the mother whale from her offspring. That image and those sounds are indelibly seared onto my memory after seeing that. I think someone in the film made the comment, "if a human being was stuck in a bathtub for 20 years, they'd probably go a bit crazy, too"  And the way they paired the younger, less trained whales with the more seasoned ones because they knew the trained whale would literally put intense pressure on the younger one to perform, just blew my mind.

The intelligence aspect is just unreal...I honestly had no idea...but I'll never forget it now, that's for sure.

I feel guilty as hell for goign to Sea World as a kid now!  :duh:

ss397

« Reply #10 on: 7 Nov 2013, 07:55 pm »
Yes, No more trips to Sea World for me, and I will participate in supporting efforts to stop this type of practice.

ajzepp

« Reply #11 on: 7 Nov 2013, 08:06 pm »
I don't know if I'm just weird, but part of the reason why I often can't watch this stuff is because I have this very intense sense of empathy where I will literally imagine myself being in the same predicament...like I think about it in such depth and detail that it almost becomes real in my mind...what WOULD it be like to have my child just taken away in a net, having no idea where they were being taken, having NO ability to do anything about it, and being stuck in a tank 24/7. I'm not sure why I do this, but it's absolutely overwhelming sometimes. I wish there was more I could do...

sebrof

« Reply #12 on: 8 Nov 2013, 01:18 am »
Anand:

Yeah, I sort of gave her the benefit of the doubt that it was a nervous smirk,
I noticed it as well. It was absolutely a nervous smirk or grimace or whatever, at the end she gave her condolences to the family and you could really sense her emotion but she was still smirking. It's more common to see that in some cultures than others (her being Canadian doesn't qualify IMO  :) )

poseidonsvoice

« Reply #13 on: 6 Jan 2017, 05:57 pm »
Just an update fellas. The orca that was featured in the film "Blackfish" named Tilikum has passed away. He was 36 years old and was in SeaWorld captivity for about 25 years. RIP.

http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2017/01/06/508534005/tilikum-seaworlds-famed-orca-and-subject-of-blackfish-dies

Best,
Anand.

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #14 on: 6 Jan 2017, 07:19 pm »
His passing hopefully sheds light on the horrible practice of keeping intelligent animals captive for our entertainment.  There was a time when it was the result of ignorance and greed, but now, we can't plead ignorance. Companies like the Blackstone Group know what they are doing, and choose to do it for money. Perhaps one day we will be wise enough to end the captivity of primates for entertainment as well.  I am still stunned that we keep gorillas in cages for our amusement. 

poseidonsvoice

« Reply #15 on: 6 Jan 2017, 07:59 pm »
His passing hopefully sheds light on the horrible practice of keeping intelligent animals captive for our entertainment.  There was a time when it was the result of ignorance and greed, but now, we can't plead ignorance. Companies like the Blackstone Group know what they are doing, and choose to do it for money. Perhaps one day we will be wise enough to end the captivity of primates for entertainment as well.  I am still stunned that we keep gorillas in cages for our amusement.

Right on S.Clark! I agree with you 150%.

Best,
Anand.

ajzepp

« Reply #16 on: 24 Jan 2017, 07:14 pm »
I'm so glad that all the activism is gaining traction. The way we treat animals is shameful. More and more are beginning to understand and join in the fight.