SE-1 vs SE-2 vs Kellin, help me decide please :)

mervincm

« on: 26 Jul 2004, 03:17 pm »
OK I am still trying to determine what I want to do here.  I had made three SE-1 (in Purpleheart and black) and was using them quite happily for my 3 front channels (LCR) for video, and 2 channel for audio.  I also have a quite potent DIYSUB system, so I did not rely on them for home theater, or loud rock bass.  Although for moderately heavy / loud audio I would run them full frequency.  I use them about 50 50 video/audio these days.  everything from the terminator to taj mahal to metallica.  I currently use my Marantz SR-18 to power them, but I also have a parasound HCA1500A that I could use.

Then I had a flood that destroyed the cabinets on 2 SE-1.  Its possible that some of the drivers lived, and I think the x-overs will be fine.

I guess my choices include

1) rebuild replace the SE-1's.  then I will have a sound I know and enjoy, and will have perfect balance in my front 3 channels. might be able to salvage some parts, but insurance is likly to pay for new ones anyway.  downside, nothing new or fun here.

2) buy/build a pair of SE-2's. cost is similar to option 1, slightly higher.  I would expect that with the additional midwoof that I could push them a little harder/safer than SE-1's.  I might be able to salvage some x-over parts/drivers from my damaged se-1's.  I would expect that an SE-1 would make a great center channel for a pair of SE-2's, but I am not sure here.

3) buy a pair of Kellin.  Are Kellins as rugged and versitile as SE-1's? and how would they work with my SE-1 center.

please give me any thought you might have on how these 3 compare in my situation and also how they compare regardless of my situation.

TIA!

Shamrock Audio

Re: SE-1 vs SE-2 vs Kellin, help me decide please :)
« Reply #1 on: 26 Jul 2004, 07:51 pm »
Quote from: mervincm

I guess my choices include

1) rebuild replace the SE-1's. then I will have a sound I know and enjoy, and will have perfect balance in my front 3 channels. might be able to salvage some parts, but insurance is likly to pay for new ones anyway. downside, nothing new or fun here.

This is most likely going to be the safest and least expensive option. You know what you've got and are apparently happy with it. While there's nothing "new", there's also no risk either.

2) buy/build a pair of SE-2's. cost is similar to option 1, slightly higher. I would expect that with the additional midwoof that I could push them a little harder/safer than SE-1's. I might be able to salvage some x-over parts/drivers from my damaged se-1's. I would expect that an SE-1 would make a great center channel for a pair of SE-2's, but I am not sure here.

If the drivers from the SE-1's are still good you can use them. However, the x-over for the SE-2 is much different. Seldom (almost never), will an MTM version of an MT speaker sound just like each other. Just too many things are different, though they share the same driver compliment. Yet, it's common for folks to have that expectation, and are sometimes disappointed with the difference.

3) buy a pair of Kellin. Are Kellins as rugged and versitile as SE-1's? and how would they work with my SE-1 center.

Well, I think the Keelins are a good speaker and your deciding to purchase a pair would be fine with me.

You should note that both the Keelin and SE-2 speakers are 4 Ohms loads. Make sure that your amp is rated for 4 Ohms. If not, stick with the SE-1's or select a speaker that is 8 Ohms.

While the SE-2 is the more "robust" of the three, subjectively the Keelins will be a better match to the SE-1 used as a center.

mervincm

« Reply #2 on: 26 Jul 2004, 09:26 pm »
hmmmm well my marantz sr-18 is only listed at 8 ohms as far as I can tell from the manual, and although I have a spare parasound 1500A, I do not want to be unable to use my marantz if need be.

Thanks for pointing out what should have been obvious to me!!!!

I guess it is SE-1's or something completely different :(

Shamrock Audio

« Reply #3 on: 26 Jul 2004, 09:52 pm »
Well, you might want to investigate this further. It seems that at least one reviewer has found information stating that the Marantz will produce 375 Watts into a 4 Ohms load under dynamic (assumed to be short-term), conditions.

http://www.audioholics.com/productreviews/avhardware/marantz_SR-18b.php

I'd see if I could find out more information. Perhaps even write the reviewer and ask where he found those ratings.