AKSA/GK1 Enclosure Suppliers US/Europe/Australia

Jens

« on: 29 Jun 2004, 05:37 am »
Well, I can post it right here for starters.

In Scandinavia, there are several sources cases. However, my preference is the Monacor (www.monacor.dk) cases, and I have been quite succesfull in using some of their 2 RU cases.

The case has number UC-262H/SW (part No. 332540). I'll get the direct link later.

Cheers,

Jens

AKSA

« Reply #1 on: 29 Jun 2004, 06:09 am »
I have split this thread to make a sticky as suggested.

This is a great idea.

I suggest that people post their experiences of good suppliers on all three continents, and I will go through it every month or so and pick the eyes from it for publishing on the website.

This gives two tiers of information;  informal here, and formal on the site.  That way we cover all available information, and present a little choice.

This should be very helpful, thanks for the suggestion Carl.

First up is Jens, thanks mate, we have a start.  Any advances on the last bid??   :lol:

Cheers,

Hugh

EchiDna

« Reply #2 on: 29 Jun 2004, 08:10 am »
I guess Singaporean links are invalid then given that it is ASIA :cry:

You can have some anyway...

Larry Hi-Fi
101 Upper Cross Street
#B1-58 People’s Park Centre
Singapore 058357
Tel: 6535 3062
www.tube-amp.com
Larry have a large aluminium chassis range in various anodised colours

Bytetron Electronic Trading
#04-04 Sim Lim Square
Tel :6336 3132
Simple, steel industrial rack mount cases in various heights (1-4u) with black or silver aluminium fronts.

MikeC

« Reply #3 on: 29 Jun 2004, 08:20 am »
Hugh wrote:
I suggest that people post their experiences of good suppliers on all three continents ...

Actually Hugh, there are a bit more than three. :nono:  This is a bit rich, especially coming from an island state. Delusions of grandeur here, methinks? :rotflmao:

Cheers

Mike
(on the dark continent)

andyr

« Reply #4 on: 29 Jun 2004, 10:07 am »
Quote from: MikeC
Hugh wrote:
I suggest that people post their experiences of good suppliers on all three continents ...

Actually Hugh, there are a bit more than three. :nono:  This is a bit rich, especially coming from an island state. Delusions of grandeur here, methinks? :rotflmao:

Cheers

Mike
(on the dark continent)
I don't think so, Mike (delusions of grandeur!).

My definition of continents might differ from geographers' but at least it's logical.  It's based on the opinion that, if you cut a canal through a land mass which was joined, ya don't create two separate continents from the one.

The "continents" are thus:
* America
* Europe/Asia/Africa, and ...
* Orstralia!!   :P

Regards,

Andy

EchiDna

« Reply #5 on: 29 Jun 2004, 11:25 pm »
I guess antarctica doesn't then either... *sigh*

c'mon guys, it goes back to the first post, Jens listed Europe, America and Australia as his three continents of choice, forgetting that there is more than 3/4 people on this planet living away from Western Europe, Australia and "US" the country? or did he mean North America? or what?

Anyway... enough OT banter, anyone got links for cases ANYWHERE?

AKSA

« Reply #6 on: 30 Jun 2004, 12:12 am »
Cripes!!  I've upset everyone!!  Sorry guys!!   :oops:

OK, Dark Continent, SE Asia (which is, incidentally, the birthplace of my wife, an unforgiveable blunder, please don't tell her!), and let's not forget the sub-continent, where there are presently two AKSAs, and hopefully more in a month.

AND, I still haven't figured out how to do a bloody sticky  (Nick, perhaps you can help here??   :mrgreen: )

Cheers,

Hugh

mgalusha

« Reply #7 on: 30 Jun 2004, 12:20 am »
For those in the US and Canada (and perhaps other locations) Lansing Instrument Corp makes some very nice enclosures. I have not built an AKSA in one but I am using one for a preamp and it's quite nice. The company was excellent to deal with.

Lansing Instrument Enclosures

I purchased the Graybox model which is available in stand alone or rack mount. Other options are availabe such as vented sides, channel sides (for pcb mounting), black or natural and they offer custom work as well.

Edit: Also there is a company called Front Panel Express that offers CNC milled panels to your design. Not inexpensive but not horribly expensive either. http://www.frontpanelexpress.com/

Mike G.

gonefishin

« Reply #8 on: 6 Jul 2004, 12:37 am »
Here are a few more cases...

Hammond Manufacturing

IAG Audio

Quality Sound Supplies

Also...a couple could be found at

DigiKey

HandMade Electronics

Mouser

In addition to places to buy enclosures from, I'd love to hear of any useful enclosure hardware links you may have.  Such as feet, footers, handles, knobs etc...thanks!

dan

Bert

• http://www.mahieu.org
enclosures and transformers in BENELUX
« Reply #9 on: 10 Jul 2004, 07:55 pm »
Hi,

I have bought my enclosures and transformers from a Belgian company called "ARABEL". You can find them here..

The cases I have are the 19" 3U 350 ANT PL. It has an inner chasis and a double frontplate. The article number is 665.
The transformers I used for the 55W are the TK142 EK 150VA T/60 and for the 100W are the TK130 EK300VA T60/B.

Come in and have a look.

I hope someone will have use for the info. But then again, BeNeLux is so small.... :roll:

P.S.: I finaly found a company that is willing to do the CNC drilling for my front panels. So I hope I can update my pictures soon.  :)

AKSA

« Reply #10 on: 11 Jul 2004, 01:14 am »
Many thanks to all those who are posting their metalwork contacts on this sticky;  it's priceless information.  

May I ask group permission to place some of it on the website in the next week or so?  It makes the experience of building an AKSA much simpler if people take a path trodden by others before them..... :thankyou:

I recently had 15 cases made for the 100W AKSA.  You can see the top and [heatsink] sides here:

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=9867&start=0

These are now all painted up and look a treat.  I have sent one to Paul (Occam) in NYC, and he will take it to various metalwork shops to see if it can be inexpensively replicated in the States, the largest market at this stage.  The design is my third attempt, and appears to be finally on the mark;  strong, yet nicely made, and very clean.  Front panel is 5mm thick Aluminium, rear panel is mild steel, with all holes cut for switches, 'feet', transformers, LEDs, binding posts, IEC modules, RCA inputs.  The heatsinks comprise the sides, a la Harmon Kardon of a few years back.  It's strong enough to withstand the weight of a small car!

At this stage I have no plans for a 55W AKSA case, as the single heatsink can actually be mounted inside a professional 2U racking case without difficulty.  Suitable 2U racking case are commonly available almost everywhere at reasonable cost.  The dual heatsinks on the 100W make this approach much more difficult, however.

Cheers,

Hugh

Rocket

aksa cases
« Reply #11 on: 11 Jul 2004, 02:25 am »
Hi Hugh,

Do you have pricing set for the new aksa 100 cases?

regards

rocket

AKSA

« Reply #12 on: 11 Jul 2004, 02:32 am »
Hi Rod,

Thanks for your post.

Not really fixed just yet, but around $AUD200 for the full monty, but the heatsinks will cost an additional $30 as replacements for the stock heatsinks;  drilling/tapping for the supports and machining for the top is pricey.

Cheers,

Hugh

mgalusha

« Reply #13 on: 11 Jul 2004, 02:46 am »
Quote from: AKSA
May I ask group permission to place some of it on the website in the next week or so?  It makes the experience of building an AKSA much simpler if people take a path trodden by others before them..... :thankyou:

I don't think you need permisssion Hugh as it is your circle. :D But of course you are welcome to the small amount of information I posted.

Mike G.

CButterworth

ParMetal Cases
« Reply #14 on: 13 Jul 2004, 02:46 pm »
I have bought cases from a US supplier (New World, as opposed to Old World, or Even Newer World).

A number of other members have not had good experiences with this company.  Mine wasn't too bad.  I ordered two cases:  I ordered one of their "10" series, I cannot remember which one (something like the 10-19145X) for the AKSA55 and the list price was between $50 and $60.  It fits the toroids quite nicely along the left hand side of the case, with space for the heatsink to sit with fins over the vents.  The power supply is mounted to the front of the case.

The second case was much smaller (one of their "amplifier" cases).  This case contains my passive preamp consisting of Elma source selector, and ALPS 50K pot wired in shunt mode.

In all cases (now there's a pun), the quality seems good.  Bear in mind that I have no experience of other cases or enclosures.  However, the cost seemed good, and the finish on the cases (both anodized black) seems adequate.  Maybe I could have gone with a EMI shielded case for both these items, although I have not noticed any RFI/EMI interference in my sound system, in spite of woefully poor TV reception caused by numerous AC units in the apartments around me.

As for customer service.  I telephoned through the order, and now that I think of it, the person who took the order was not all that polite.  Maybe considering that Par-Metal are based on the US East Coast explains this (OK, I apologise for those on the East Coast).  The cases arrived within a week.

Anyway, if you're looking for cases and are on a smaller than average budget, then I think that Par-Metal should not be overlooked.

If anyone wants the specific part number, then please email me, and I'll look them up.

Regards,
Charlie

PS At some point, I'll get photos of the AKSA into the gallery.

gonefishin

« Reply #15 on: 13 Jul 2004, 07:02 pm »
No problem here Hugh.  If you could also add some places to buy enclosure (such as feet and knobs) I'd be much obliged :)

I still haven't had any time to start my amps yet...and when I do they'll first be in a temporary enclosure.  But once I start working on the permanent enclosure, I was thinking of incorporating the "AKSA" name onto the front design.  Would this be a problem using your name as part of the design of the front plate?  (I'm thinking maybe, if it works well, a  stainless front where the outside border and "AKSA" name are high polished and the rest of the ss is glass beaded.)  We'll see how it looks  :wink:   But I felt that I should ask permission.  So, can I :D

thanks!
  dan

AKSA

« Reply #16 on: 13 Jul 2004, 10:01 pm »
Dan,

Of course!  I should be flattered!  A signature series, and I didn't even build it myself!!  Golly, I'll be the Ken Ishiwata of Oz!!

Feet and knobs.  OK, I'll scout around.......

Cheers,

Hugh

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #17 on: 14 Jul 2004, 06:26 am »
Quote from: AKSA
Dan,

Of course!  I should be flattered!  A signature series, and I didn't even build it myself!!  Golly, I'll be the Ken Ishiwata of Oz!!
Hello Hugh,
    Some might think....Ken who  :? ...So here's a link....  
http://www.thebaj.com/interviews/KenIshiwata.htm   :) [/list:u]

T-Bone

« Reply #18 on: 3 Aug 2004, 11:53 am »
Here's another: http://www.protocase.com/ They seem to be a bit expensive at first glance but if you needed a custom case quickly with all cutouts ie, heat sink, IEC connecter ect, provided this might be the place.

Brad

mamsterla

Par-metal
« Reply #19 on: 19 Sep 2004, 01:23 am »
In the US, there is always Par-Metal - http://www.par-metal.com

I have used them on 3 projects - decent quality and good size selection.  I will get some pics of my system up eventually.

-MA