Pioneer SP-BS22-LR speakers are really nice.

vortrex

Re: Pioneer SP-BS22-LR speakers are really nice.
« Reply #20 on: 20 Jan 2013, 11:47 pm »
Has anyone ever heard the S-2EX?

Letitroll98

• Facilitator
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #21 on: 21 Jan 2013, 03:55 pm »
Has anyone ever heard the S-2EX?

Suggested Price: $7,000.00, not in any way close to Cheap and Cheerful, therefore not appropriate for this circle.  However it could be a TAD speaker for cost constrained audiophiles and a thread about them might be welcome over on the Enclosures circle.

dB Cooper

« Reply #22 on: 29 Jan 2013, 09:52 pm »
My prototype designer brought up his set for me to audition yesterday.  His main speakers are Sanders electrostatics and these little speakers impressed him so he gave me the chance for a listen here in my sound room with my best electronics.

Not to hijack the thread but I have heard the Sanders are pretty impressive and was wondering what your impressions were (assuming you have heard them of course.)

srb

Re: Pioneer SP-BS22-LR speakers are really nice - $90 at Amazon
« Reply #23 on: 1 Feb 2013, 12:59 am »
Now that the discontinued BS21 is no longer available from Newegg for $50 (or even $40 over the holidays!), the replacement BS22 has been selling for $125 - $130 from most vendors.

Right now, the BS22 is available from Amazon for $90 shipped.
SP-BS22-LR at Amazon

Steve

Wayner

« Reply #24 on: 1 Feb 2013, 01:26 am »
Or it proves how other speaker manufacturers are bad at their crafts......

Wayner

dB Cooper

« Reply #25 on: 2 Feb 2013, 12:56 am »
Or are just plain overcharging. Of course, to be fair, economy of scale favors a high-volume producer like Pioneer.

wushuliu

« Reply #26 on: 2 Feb 2013, 01:14 am »
The Pioneer crossover sounds much more complex than what would be offered in its price range, which means more money spent on parts. I doubt Pioneer is making much if any profit off the speakers given the price tag.

Toaster

« Reply #27 on: 2 Feb 2013, 12:10 pm »
Andrew Jones is a really nice guy too. Back in the day when I was studying for my first degree at Essex University and in the early stages of obsession with audio stuff, Andrew was working on noise cancellation- I think it was the Wolfson Noise Cancellation Project, or something like that- at Essex. Even though I wasn't studying anything related to this, Andrew showed me the workshop/ lab and demonstrated a vast bandpass subwoofer that was being used for the noise cancellation project. He also gave me a preamp PCB for a preamp that was, IIRC, designed by his brother, who also designed the Pink Triangle Pip preamp.

Doublej

On sale at Best Buy for $89.99/pair this week!
« Last Edit: 3 Feb 2013, 01:49 pm by Doublej »

Letitroll98

• Facilitator
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #29 on: 3 Feb 2013, 05:08 pm »
So I wonder, should one snag one of the last few pairs of BS-21 speakers at whatever steep discount you can get, or spend a few extra bucks for the newer BS-22 model?  Zero had some disagreement as to which one is better, has anyone else heard both?

jkelly

« Reply #30 on: 5 Feb 2013, 02:32 am »
I haven't listened to both, but I just received the BS-22 and boy am I impressed.

Just a few hours of listening but they really kept my attention.

Like Frank said they like power - they sounded dull on my Ampino.
When I switched to a Audio Alchemy om-150 they came to life.
(CAPS V2, Dragonfly)

Position was critical for me.  I am still tweaking. Right now they are about 5 feet
off the back walls and 6.5 feet apart.  I have a little bass boom on some tracks, but
definitely now have the magic.  Sound should fill the whole wall in front of you, not
just between the speakers.

Time to break them in and further tweak the positions.

vlad335

« Reply #31 on: 13 Feb 2013, 06:50 pm »
I picked up a pair of the BS-22 on sale at Best Buy. The imaging and clarity is stunning at this price point. A tad light in the loafers low bass wise so I added an 8" DIY sub to them and I am amazed by the magic.

The Pioneer crossover sounds much more complex than what would be offered in its price range, which means more money spent on parts. I doubt Pioneer is making much if any profit off the speakers given the price tag.

Yes, no doubt. Now that they have everyone's attention, Pioneer/A. Jones need to come out with a speaker line a notch or two above these. There is a huge gap between this budget line and the extremely expensive EX series.

tonrod55

« Reply #32 on: 13 Feb 2013, 08:07 pm »
I'm not seeing the sale price at Best buy.  Is there a trick?  Thx

Letitroll98

• Facilitator
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #33 on: 14 Feb 2013, 04:36 am »
I'm not seeing the sale price at Best buy.  Is there a trick?  Thx

Looks like the sale price has expired.  It appears that everyone has ended the promotion on this model, so I'm sure it was a factory incentive thing to kick off the new model.  Either look for the older BS21 on closeout, or wait for another sale.  The sales are like buses and women, there's always another one around the corner.

Alexdad54

« Reply #34 on: 14 Feb 2013, 06:23 pm »
Does anyone have an idea where these can be sourced in Canada? The Pioneer Canada website only lists a company in Vancouver that seems to be out of business. Best Buy/Futureshop (same company) don't carry them here and I'm keen to get a pair without paying the steep shipping and customs fees to Amazon or Parts Express.

charmerci

« Reply #35 on: 26 Feb 2013, 03:31 am »
Best Buy has them on sale again for $89. (It's Monday nite.)

mboxler

« Reply #36 on: 26 Feb 2013, 02:22 pm »
Best Buy has them on sale again for $89. (It's Monday nite.)

Amazon...$89.99 free shipping now as well.

tonrod55

« Reply #37 on: 27 Feb 2013, 05:05 pm »
Grabbed a pair last week at BB for $129.  Did the receipt switch-a-roo with them last night for the sale price.  No problem.  They are nice sounding speakers for the price.  A year old pair of PSB B6's might need a new job.

Letitroll98

• Facilitator
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #38 on: 28 Feb 2013, 05:24 am »
Grabbed a pair last week at BB for $129.  Did the receipt switch-a-roo with them last night for the sale price.  No problem.  They are nice sounding speakers for the price.  A year old pair of PSB B6's might need a new job.

Really that good?

charmerci

« Reply #39 on: 28 Feb 2013, 11:51 pm »
I just got mine in about an hour ago.

While they lack the ultimate in high end extension, they are very nice. They recommend that you pull them away from the wall to 2 feet. Do it. It gets rid of most of the mid-bass boominess. (The further you can pull them out, the better. I haven't pulled them out any further.) There is a surprising amount of bass for 4" mid-woofers.

They're voiced very laid back - it's not a in-your-face speaker.

They're not great (which can make mediocre recordings sound listenable at high levels) but very nice. They don't do anything badly.