Randall Museum the 6550 / KT88 amp class start in Jan 2013

orientalexpress

Tube Audio DIY The Randall III Tube Amplifier
Learn the art and science of tube audio by taking this class and building a pair of superb mono bloc amps to power your stereo system. The amp is based on 6550 / KT88 power tubes in push-pull pentode configuration rated at 40 watts per channel. The results are high quality amps that sound wonderful. Recommended speaker efficiency for these amps is 87db or higher.
The amp’s construction is all point to point wiring (no PC boards) with many intricate solder joints. If you are an advance builder / student you may be able to complete the 2 mono bloc amps in class. The majority of the students will have to do some work at home in order to complete the build within the allotted class hours. Do not take this class if you cannot set aside the time needed to complete the build. The student is expected to have their own soldering and hand tools.
This class is for intermediate or advanced students only. If you have taken any of the previous Randall Tube Audio DIY classes and have successfully completed the build, you are good to go. If you are an experienced builder with good concentration this class may be for you but first contact the instructor at the email below. If you are a beginner or have limited soldering / build skills do not take this class.
The parts & material cost for the 2 mono blocs is typically $800 to $1000 (payable to the instructor) depending on the brand of tubes the student wants. This cost is in addition to the class registration fee.
Class duration: 10 Saturday Sessions 3 hours each.
Class size limit: 10 Students.
Instructor: Ed Yang
Email: randallphono@yahoo
Reg for the class:
The session runs between January 7 and March 16. December 8 is Randall Museum member registration. December 15 is open registration.
Tube you will need to source for a pair of mono bloc amps: phase inverter two 6SL7, rectifiers two 5U4g or 5U4gb, power tube 2 matched pairs 6550 or KT88. I recommend you hold off on the power tubes till after the tube roll.
I recommend that you put the reg date on your calendar because I think the class will fill up fast.
See you in Jan!
e

Reg for the class:
The session runs between January 7 and March 16. December 8 is Randall Museum member registration. December 15 is open registration.

JoshK

Re: Randall Museum the 6550 / KT88 amp class start in Jan 2013
« Reply #1 on: 21 Dec 2012, 11:31 pm »
That is an awesome experience!   So jealous!   You should do it if your local!

Ericus Rex

« Reply #2 on: 22 Dec 2012, 01:01 am »
I wish things like this would happen in my area....

Cheeseboy

« Reply #3 on: 27 Dec 2012, 11:30 pm »
I snoozed I losed.  The class is all full up. 

Sounds like a fun class and you get to build an amp. 

soundofrockets

« Reply #4 on: 1 Mar 2013, 06:48 pm »
are there any new classes ?? interested in learning more about tubes and their applications.

Berndt

« Reply #5 on: 4 Mar 2013, 12:15 am »
There will be one more class for these amps limited to ten builders. You need to be registered with the museum to register for the class.

orientalexpress

« Reply #6 on: 29 Mar 2013, 02:17 am »
here is the finish build  :thumb:

currently running on borrow russian 6550 tubes and quad psvane kt88 tubes on the way.also got some got some russian 5u4g c-wing on the way. :thumb: :thumb:

lapsan

Maritan

« Reply #7 on: 29 Mar 2013, 03:01 am »
Dang, nice. That's a great looking amp. How does it sound?

There's a local class here in my state too, but the guy focuses more on guitar amps than home stereo amps. Still, the principles would be great to absorb... One of these days...

orientalexpress

« Reply #8 on: 29 Mar 2013, 03:27 am »
Dang, nice. That's a great looking amp. How does it sound?

There's a local class here in my state too, but the guy focuses more on guitar amps than home stereo amps. Still, the principles would be great to absorb... One of these days...
It's sound pretty good with the russian Tubes,i heard it with the Psvane tubes on another amp  :o.my speakers is pretty low efficient and still drive it to 90 db easily
.It's great class ,i meet alot audiophile there also. :thumb:

lapsan

soundofrockets

« Reply #9 on: 13 Dec 2013, 12:40 am »
any new classes for jan 2014 ??

Roger A. Modjeski

« Reply #10 on: 20 May 2014, 09:04 pm »
any new classes for jan 2014 ??

I understand from Edwin that the amplifier classes are over. I hope to re-start them and spend some additional time on circuit design, transformer design, measurements of parts and the finished amplifiers. I would also include transformer winding in another class. Those interested should reply to the following link. http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=125987.0

fastfred

• Fred Petersen
    • audiofyle.com
« Reply #11 on: 11 Oct 2014, 05:43 am »
I understand from Edwin that the amplifier classes are over. I hope to re-start them and spend some additional time on circuit design, transformer design, measurements of parts and the finished amplifiers. I would also include transformer winding in another class. Those interested should reply to the following link. http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=125987.0

Roger Modjeski has opened a new audio design school The Berkeley hi/fi School at this link. ( http://berkeleyhifischool,com/ )

fastfred

• Fred Petersen
    • audiofyle.com
« Reply #12 on: 13 Oct 2014, 06:58 am »
Roger Modjeski has opened a new audio design school The Berkeley hi/fi School at this link. ( http://berkeleyhifischool,com/ )

Sorry I made a mistake. The link to the Berkeley hi/fi School is. ( http://berkeleyhifischool.com )