BDP-2 Digital Player

MoPac

Re: BDP-2 Digital Player
« Reply #1860 on: 20 May 2017, 01:32 am »
DarqueKnight:

This may not help you with your situation, but here goes anyway...  Most of the time I listen to playlists that are specific to the type of music being played for instance:  Symphonies, Violin Concertos etc.  To avoid the muting that occurs between different sample rates I created 8 second long tracks of silence for each possible sample rate and inserted them where there is a sample rate change.

This of course will not work if you are creating "on the fly" playlists or if you shuffle a playlist as I'm sure many people do.

Rich

DarqueKnight

« Reply #1861 on: 20 May 2017, 08:49 am »
DarqueKnight:

This may not help you with your situation, but here goes anyway...  Most of the time I listen to playlists that are specific to the type of music being played for instance:  Symphonies, Violin Concertos etc.  To avoid the muting that occurs between different sample rates I created 8 second long tracks of silence for each possible sample rate and inserted them where there is a sample rate change.

This of course will not work if you are creating "on the fly" playlists or if you shuffle a playlist as I'm sure many people do.

Rich

Thanks Rich. Your suggestion helped a lot. I started with 4 second delay tracks and went to 3.5, 3, 2.6, 2, 1.5, 1 and 0.5 seconds. The 1 and 0.5 second delays did not work with all file sample rates. The minimum delay that worked with all file sample rates was 1.5 seconds. My procedure was:

1. Find a DSD1 file with a minimum 4 second silent lead out and import it into Vinyl Studio. The file selected was "Take Five" from Dave Brubeck's
"Time Out" . The last four seconds were trimmed off and saved as a separate file.

2. The trimmed DSD1 file was then saved as DSD1 files of different lengths.

3. The DSD1 file was next converted to FLAC files of the different lengths, sampling rates, and bit depths.

I don't have the muting issue with the Bryston BDA-3 DAC in my office rig (paired with a BDP-2) , nor did I have it with my Cary Audio DAC-100 nor my Cary Audio CD 306 Pro Version SACD Player/DAC. The BDP-2 in my two channel rig is used with a dCS Debussy DAC and dCS Puccini U-Clock master clock. DCS explained that I have two sample rate locking delays in my digital source group since both the U-Clock and the Debussy have to lock onto a new sample rate. They further explained:

"Our Phase Locked Loop circuitry has a 3-stage lock which takes a few seconds longer than simpler designs. This is a factor in the sound quality, as you need a very narrow bandwidth in order to filter out jitter." 

They also said they would look into speeding up the Debussy's lock cycle.
« Last Edit: 20 May 2017, 09:01 pm by DarqueKnight »

mikemalter

• Have a nice cup of coffee
    • The Computer Mutt Blog a repository of divergent computer knowledge
Can't Get Music To Load From NAS
« Reply #1862 on: 27 Jun 2017, 04:56 pm »
I am having a devil of a time trying to get music loaded into my BDP2 player, and I am wondering if there is some way I can get a little help, like maybe someone I can call who can get me sorted out?

For number of songs it always stays at 0.  I have Manic Moose S2.34.  My music player daemon is at 19.21 and I have 5000 as my maximum playlist length.  When I go to the media player, the first folder name is usually blank (this should have the name of my NAS on it) and then I see folders for Genres, Artist & etc.  I don't see a name in the top folder unless I click on the Update link.  Then if I go back to the dashboard and come back, I can see it.  When I click on the folder icon for the NAS it will go down one level and there I see only 1 folder with no label.  If I click on the folder icon I get a loading message where the name of the container usually is.  If I click on the playlist icon, I can see playlists I created but I can't get them into the now playing list.  I tried clicking on the + sign but nothing happens.  The only thing I can get to play in the internet radio.  I did do an update and now I can't seem to get anything to work.  I'd really appreciate being able to call to help clear this up.  Thanks.

drummermitchell

« Reply #1863 on: 27 Jun 2017, 06:28 pm »
There's only one name CHRIS RICE(Bryston)
He'll fix you up 100% :thumb:.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #1864 on: 27 Jun 2017, 06:56 pm »
It sounds like the BDP isn’t completing the scan of the music library or the BDP is losing connection with the NAS.

Chris

mikemalter

« Reply #1865 on: 27 Jun 2017, 10:36 pm »
It sounds like the BDP isn’t completing the scan of the music library or the BDP is losing connection with the NAS.

Chris

I deleted the NAS entry and re-entered it and got this error message:

failed to connect:mount error(13): Permission denied Refer to the mount.cifs(8) manual page (e.g. man mount.cifs)
sudo mount -t cifs -o username='bryston',password='bryston',uid=106 "\\\\10.1.254.0\\MikeMusic" "/media/MikeMusic_on_NAS1.local" 2>&1

The username and password are correct as is the ip address and share name.

Mike

mikemalter

« Reply #1866 on: 27 Jun 2017, 11:13 pm »
There was another software update available which I elected to install.

Now when I try to connect to my nas I have all the fields filled in and I click on next and it keeps saying ready, no matter how many times I click on next, it says ready on the top.  I click home and everything goes away.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #1867 on: 28 Jun 2017, 12:27 am »

Now when I try to connect to my nas I have all the fields filled in and I click on next and it keeps saying ready, no matter how many times I click on next, it says ready on the top.  I click home and everything goes away.

I think maybe Chris may have to connect remotely to your unit.  Can you put it in Service and email Chris the service number?

james

mikemalter

« Reply #1868 on: 28 Jun 2017, 12:44 am »
I think maybe Chris may have to connect remotely to your unit.  Can you put it in Service and email Chris the service number?

james

How do I put it in service?  Do you have Chris' email address, please?  Thanks.

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #1869 on: 28 Jun 2017, 12:58 am »
http://support.bryston.com/downloads/BDP/Manic%20Moose%20Manual.pdf

Page 24, but you may also want review the section that covers nas setup first

Marius

« Reply #1870 on: 28 Jun 2017, 11:25 am »

Maybe you should first feed the BDP some music attached locally. A successful Nas connection can really be difficult if you're not sure what to look out for, in the many options (I've several entries for the same NAs in the dropdown box, for several different protocols and platforms)
Having a USB drive can t fail, for the BDP will find it automatically and update it immediately when found.

Try a thumb drive, with only a few songs/albums, of a usb drive with a bit more, to see if the BDP works as expected. If yes, enjoy and figure out how to connect the NAS correctly ;)

btw, check whether you have permissions set correctly on the NAS. You might have the correct login credentials, but your NAS might block any unspecified users.

It is best to create a separate user named Bryston BDP and give it certain read write rights for dedicated folders. That way you're certain nothing can happen on your NAS (where you might have stored other documents you don't want to grant anyone access.  )
I find this of particular importance, now the BDP and MM are fetching info on your library over the internet more and more. Best to close the access-gaps as tightly as possible.
Cheers,
Marius

mikemalter

« Reply #1871 on: 28 Jun 2017, 03:42 pm »

james

Done, thanks James.

gbaby

Re: Can't Get Music To Load From NAS
« Reply #1872 on: 28 Jun 2017, 10:28 pm »
I am having a devil of a time trying to get music loaded into my BDP2 player, and I am wondering if there is some way I can get a little help, like maybe someone I can call who can get me sorted out?

For number of songs it always stays at 0.  I have Manic Moose S2.34.  My music player daemon is at 19.21 and I have 5000 as my maximum playlist length.  When I go to the media player, the first folder name is usually blank (this should have the name of my NAS on it) and then I see folders for Genres, Artist & etc.  I don't see a name in the top folder unless I click on the Update link.  Then if I go back to the dashboard and come back, I can see it.  When I click on the folder icon for the NAS it will go down one level and there I see only 1 folder with no label.  If I click on the folder icon I get a loading message where the name of the container usually is.  If I click on the playlist icon, I can see playlists I created but I can't get them into the now playing list.  I tried clicking on the + sign but nothing happens.  The only thing I can get to play in the internet radio.  I did do an update and now I can't seem to get anything to work.  I'd really appreciate being able to call to help clear this up.  Thanks.

A 5,000 song playlist is excessive.

CanadianMaestro

• Restricted
  • Skepticism is the engine of progress
    • Hearing Everything That Nothing Can Measure
« Reply #1873 on: 28 Jun 2017, 11:51 pm »
^ That's putting it politely.   :green:

Me, I listen to one album at a time -- about 10-30 tracks.
Very short playlist.

artur9

« Reply #1874 on: 29 Jun 2017, 03:16 am »
A long playlist may be excessive but how else can one play all the songs of a particular genre?

Sometimes, while cleaning for example, I just want a lot of songs.  But there's no random shuffle mode... ;-(

gbaby

« Reply #1875 on: 29 Jun 2017, 11:57 am »
A long playlist may be excessive but how else can one play all the songs of a particular genre?

Sometimes, while cleaning for example, I just want a lot of songs.  But there's no random shuffle mode... ;-(

There is a random shuffle.

mikemalter

Re: Can't Get Music To Load From NAS
« Reply #1876 on: 29 Jun 2017, 01:09 pm »
A 5,000 song playlist is excessive.

How so?  What is not excessive?

artur9

« Reply #1877 on: 29 Jun 2017, 01:22 pm »
There is a random shuffle.

The random shuffle is playlist based.  Or is there another way to do it?

gbaby

« Reply #1878 on: 29 Jun 2017, 01:33 pm »
The random shuffle is playlist based.  Or is there another way to do it?

It is playlist based. But, to me, 300 to 350 songs in a playlist is fine. How long can one listen music at one time?  :o

mikemalter

« Reply #1879 on: 29 Jun 2017, 01:46 pm »
It is playlist based. But, to me, 300 to 350 songs in a playlist is fine. How long can one listen music at one time?  :o
You don't have to listen to the entire playlist each time.