Dirac Live Room Correction Suite

NekoAudio

• Industry Participant
    • Neko Audio LLC
Dirac Live Room Correction Suite
« on: 28 Mar 2012, 12:41 am »
I just tried out the Dirac Live Room Correction Suite software on my MacBook and I'm very impressed. I think this is something everyone should try out because it will help make sure your setup is performing at its best.

Using a microphone the software takes measurements and then lets you create audio filters to adjust the frequency response and impulse response. I used a Behringer ECM8000 microphone with calibration file and tried things out with both Airfoil and a USB -> S/PDIF converter to bypass the MacBook's sound card and feed directly into my Neko Audio D100 Mk2 DAC.

I am running this in my 2-channel setup at home, but it also supports surround sound and larger venues like an auditorium. The audio filter adds a noticeable delay to the sound, so if you use a HTPC you will need to delay your video to match. The software has a simple on/off switch that makes it easy to evaluate the audio filter's effect.

With Dirac Live engaged, the music was more centered and the sound stage moved closer so its distance equaled my speaker distance. The frequency response was more balanced and there was less distortion. I'm so pleased with the result I intend to continue using this in my setup: MacBook (w/Dirac Live) -> Airfoil -> DAC.

I've attached my measurements and the predicted post-filter results for the left channel.

The original frequency response measurements for the nine measured positions.

The post-filter predicted frequency responses at the nine measurement positions.

The original measured average and predicted average frequency response.

The original impulse response measurements for the nine measured positions.

The post-filter predicted impulse responses at the nine measurement positions.

The original measured average and predicted average impulse response.

Wind Chaser

Re: Dirac Live Room Correction Suite
« Reply #1 on: 9 May 2017, 07:29 pm »
This looks very interesting. Is there anyting like it that will work with a CDP as the source?

SlushPuppy

« Reply #2 on: 9 May 2017, 10:01 pm »
This looks very interesting. Is there anyting like it that will work with a CDP as the source?

There is a digital and analog hardware solution on this page:

https://www.minidsp.com/products/dirac-series

Wind Chaser

« Reply #3 on: 9 May 2017, 10:48 pm »
Thanks - I was hoping for single ended connectivity, but this is still woth looking into.

richidoo

« Reply #4 on: 9 May 2017, 11:15 pm »
When I was beta tester dirac worked only as an output driver for windows sound. If that's still the case, then to play from external CDP you'd need to run a media player software that can input a live stream, like foobar, JRiver or a DAW, and output thru windows. Can't output thru ASIO, etc.  You could also play the CD live on an optical drive in the PC. Most player software can handle that.

Nice review, btw!

NekoAudio

• Industry Participant
    • Neko Audio LLC
« Reply #5 on: 10 May 2017, 01:00 am »
I also use miniDSP's DDRC-22D for Dirac in one setup. I do not use their nanoAVR-DL multi-channel Dirac product because it is limited to 1080p and we're running 4K now. I currently do a lot of playback using iTunes to Dirac Live RCS to Airfoil for wireless playback from my computer. The proposal by richidoo should also work with Macs, in addition to Windows computers.

Thanks - I was hoping for single ended connectivity, but this is still woth looking into.

Would you consider using RCA to XLR adapters with the miniDSP DDRC-22A?

Wind Chaser

« Reply #6 on: 10 May 2017, 01:28 am »
Would you consider using RCA to XLR adapters with the miniDSP DDRC-22A?

Possibly, any drawbacks?

NekoAudio

• Industry Participant
    • Neko Audio LLC
« Reply #7 on: 10 May 2017, 03:44 am »
Possibly, any drawbacks?
You can ask miniDSP if they have a recommendation for the XLR to RCA adapter configurations (i.e. float the negative pin, or ground it, or if you need it to be transformer coupled). My guess is any configuration would work for the DDRC-22A XLR inputs, and probably floating for the negative. I would not expect a negative impact on sound quality.