Bicycling Off-Road

coke

Re: Bicycling Off-Road
« Reply #1000 on: 21 Sep 2012, 05:25 pm »
It's good to ensure that you have all the tools you need and also that all your parts are compatible ahead of time.  I completed my last couple builds in around 2 to 3 hours, but that was because everything went together as it should.

A nice stand is well worth the money if you don't have one.

Levi

« Reply #1001 on: 28 Sep 2012, 01:26 am »
Anyone knows how to set the new FOX FIT CTD w/trail adjust.  Ha ha ha.

JoshK

« Reply #1002 on: 28 Sep 2012, 02:48 am »
from what I've read, its set to trail and leave it. 

Levi

« Reply #1003 on: 28 Sep 2012, 02:55 am »
CTD (Climb, Trail, Descend)...it does not get easier than that.  Ha ha ha

JoshK

« Reply #1004 on: 30 Sep 2012, 02:22 pm »
Did my first ever lift access downhill riding yesterday.   Went up to Blue Mountain with a local MTB club.  Had a serious blast.   

At first, I felt a bit sketchy with the bike handling.  It was miles different than what I was use to, but by my 2nd or third run I was feelin it. 

Blue mountain isn't a super serious bike park.  Its more of a hill than a mountain, but there is still some good runs with plenty of steep rooty sections, loose shale, rocky bits and some features. 

A few years back, some got injured on a drop and sued, so they took out all the drops, well most of them anyway.   Pretty much everything could be rolled, but you can drop them with some speed.  There is one feature that rides up a bermed wall and has about a 4-5' drop.   I did that.

I rented a Rocky Mountain something or other.  It was monstrously heavy. 

I even rode the "expert trail" called shot glass that is notorious for its steep rooty sections back to back.   That was a bit sketchy as you have no braking control what-so-ever, so you just try to aim straight and not clip the narrow trees.

JoshK

« Reply #1005 on: 30 Sep 2012, 03:11 pm »
Just learned that this place is right near me.

http://www.joyride150.com/media/video-clips

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #1006 on: 1 Oct 2012, 03:42 am »
Did my first ever lift access downhill riding yesterday.   Went up to Blue Mountain with a local MTB club.  Had a serious blast.   

At first, I felt a bit sketchy with the bike handling.  It was miles different than what I was use to, but by my 2nd or third run I was feelin it. 

Blue mountain isn't a super serious bike park.  Its more of a hill than a mountain, but there is still some good runs with plenty of steep rooty sections, loose shale, rocky bits and some features. 

A few years back, some got injured on a drop and sued, so they took out all the drops, well most of them anyway.   Pretty much everything could be rolled, but you can drop them with some speed.  There is one feature that rides up a bermed wall and has about a 4-5' drop.   I did that.

I rented a Rocky Mountain something or other.  It was monstrously heavy. 

I even rode the "expert trail" called shot glass that is notorious for its steep rooty sections back to back.   That was a bit sketchy as you have no braking control what-so-ever, so you just try to aim straight and not clip the narrow trees.

Cool, DH is addictive! It will also make you a much faster trail rider...  :thumb:

JoshK

« Reply #1007 on: 2 Oct 2012, 01:41 pm »
Got the call yesterday.  New bike is available for pickup tonight.  Pretty stoked.d

Levi

« Reply #1008 on: 2 Oct 2012, 01:57 pm »
Nice!  That took awhile. At least you can still use it before it iced up. Ha ha ha

Levi

« Reply #1009 on: 2 Oct 2012, 02:00 pm »
+ the heavier you are...the faster you go down the hill. 

Cool, DH is addictive! It will also make you a much faster trail rider...  :thumb:

JoshK

« Reply #1010 on: 2 Oct 2012, 02:43 pm »
My DH experience is a sum total of 1 day, so take this for what its worth, but I do think DH riding greatly improves your technical riding skills, at least in the downhill portion.

I've never ridden a trail as rooty as some of the ones we rode Saturday.  And I was bombing over it, learning to relax and trust the bike will absorb it.  Now my trail bike doesn't have as much suspension, but the trust and relaxing is the same skill.

JoshK

« Reply #1011 on: 3 Oct 2012, 01:59 pm »
Pictures coming soon, didn't have a chance to take any last night.  Picked it up and rode it home last night.  Serious new bike stoke.  Looks so bad ass and crazy light for the amount of travel.

Build list:
Rock Shox Revelation with carbon steerer.
ENVE AM wheelset with Chris King hubs
CK headset
ENVE bars
XT drivetrain with XT Shadow+ RD
Conti TK 2.4 UST front MK 2.4 UST rear
WTB saddle
Magura MT8 brakes

Levi

« Reply #1012 on: 3 Oct 2012, 02:10 pm »
Sweet build!  You skipped a months mortgage?  Ha ha ha.  I like the Enve wheelset.  I am using Enve Seatpost.

JoshK

« Reply #1013 on: 3 Oct 2012, 02:20 pm »
Yeah, super spendy, ~9 large.

jackman

« Reply #1014 on: 3 Oct 2012, 02:24 pm »
I'm dying to see this bike!  It's been fun watching Josh jump into the deep end of the cycling "pool"!  You don't mess around. 

Best of luck with the new ride.  Hopefully you saved a few bucks for a camera so we can all see those cool trails you are riding in Canuck-Land!

Cheers,

J

JoshK

« Reply #1015 on: 3 Oct 2012, 03:43 pm »
Thanks Jackman,  I posted up some GoPro footage on vimeo.  That is my only view of the trails.  I have a small camera that isn't working at the moment. 

JoshK

« Reply #1016 on: 4 Oct 2012, 01:28 pm »
Maiden voyage last night.  Man does this bike ride sweet.   Its crazy light and responsive.    First time night riding too.  Its a whole different experience riding in a pitch black forest with lights.

Rocket_Ronny

• Your Room Is Everything - Use It Well.
    • ScriptureSongs.com
« Reply #1017 on: 4 Oct 2012, 01:38 pm »

Maybe I missed it, but what does it weigh in at? My guess would be 24 lbs. Must be nice.

My Specialized Enduro weighs in at around 31 lbs and it's a blast. I don't cross country race with it, but I can go anywhere, esp. the steeps. Got to love the 67 degree head angle for that. Also love the chain roller to eliminate chain slap when downhilling.

Rocket_Ronny

Levi

« Reply #1018 on: 4 Oct 2012, 01:44 pm »
Josh, you heard it before. No pictures therefore it does not exist. \(^o^)/

coke

« Reply #1019 on: 4 Oct 2012, 01:55 pm »
Maiden voyage last night.  Man does this bike ride sweet.   Its crazy light and responsive.    First time night riding too.  Its a whole different experience riding in a pitch black forest with lights.

I love night riding.  It can make a boring trail you've ridden 100 times feel like something new.  I also feel more relaxed at night and there's a lot more wildlife.

I've found it's best to use a light with a narrow beam on your helmet and a floody light on the bars.