Is Adele DONE already?! She is only 25...

Art_Chicago

Is Adele DONE already?! She is only 25...
« on: 1 Dec 2015, 03:45 am »
Listening to Adele 25 on vinyl and cannot believe how uninspiring and flat she sounds, yet the mastering of the LP is pretty good.
She needs to record a rock album.  :D

Phil A

Re: Is Adele DONE already?! She is only 25...
« Reply #1 on: 1 Dec 2015, 03:55 am »

Art_Chicago

« Reply #2 on: 1 Dec 2015, 04:01 am »
well - I guess I am one of those idiots who bought it.

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
« Reply #3 on: 1 Dec 2015, 04:18 am »
I wonder, do you suppose she heard a Melody Gardot recording and lost all drive?

Sorry, I heard a pre-release single and felt uninspired.  :( I do find I prefer Gardot over Adele.

Phil A

« Reply #4 on: 1 Dec 2015, 04:37 am »
I really like Melody Gardot - I had Worrisome Heart before most heard of it and saw her at the Birchmere in Alexandria, VA.  Phil Roy opened for her.  Apparently before she made it, she used to open for him/

kingdeezie

« Reply #5 on: 1 Dec 2015, 04:58 am »
I don't own the album, but everyone keeps playing that damn single, "Hello," over and over again. I would have to agree, it sounded pretty bad.

I think she is a victim of her own success. Her last album, straddled a pretty rare line, in that she had popular appeal across a multitude of demographics.

She has genuine vocal talent, mixed with some decent song writing, and mildly catchy hooks. She was a lot of different things, to a lot of different people.

The problem with that is, you can't catch lightening in a bottle over and over again (nor serve two masters), and eventually you have to play to the lowest common denominator to stay relevant in the popular music charts. This has likely led to derivative, watered down imitations, of what made her decent before.

Either way, she could buy me 40 billion times over, so, she could shart on CD and still be winning.

Woodsea

« Reply #6 on: 1 Dec 2015, 05:38 am »
Adele has an amazing voice.  I guess my ears are tuned differently than yours.  I have some Melody Gardot, but she doesn't do it for me my like Adele does.  I like Ann Wilson, Stefani Germanotta, Karen Carpenter, and Christina Aguilara as well.
Adele is far from done.  I find it disconcerting that you came up with that phrase, without thinking about the sensationalism of the statement.  She sounds just like her recording, which I find rather pleasing, when singing live.

brooklyn

« Reply #7 on: 1 Dec 2015, 05:39 am »
I was going to purchase her new CD right up until I listened to some samples and didn’t seem to like it..
It is getting good reviews on Amazon. I’m sure every album she records from now on will be compared to 21..

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
« Reply #8 on: 1 Dec 2015, 09:05 am »
Woodsea,

I apologize. I typed it tongue in cheek without thinking someone (such as yourself, for instance) might take exception to it.  :duh: Honestly, I really enjoy listening to many of Adele's songs from her 21 album. I'm less interested in her earlier work and I really don't care for 'Hello." I thought she was pretty good until I was turned onto Melody Gardot. Then, I realized I prefer Melody's voice. I admit to turning up the volume when I hear my favorite songs from 21.  :thumb:

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #9 on: 1 Dec 2015, 10:56 am »
Adele fans cant want too much quality in her voice, since she had surgery on vocal cords a few years ago.

But her voice is so bad she says the surgery has improved her voice :duh:
http://www.mirror.co.uk/3am/celebrity-news/adele-reveals-throat-surgery-feared-6760698
« Last Edit: 1 Dec 2015, 12:03 pm by FullRangeMan »

stlrman

« Reply #10 on: 1 Dec 2015, 01:54 pm »
She is 27, she started writing this album at 25.

wisnon

« Reply #11 on: 1 Dec 2015, 02:17 pm »
"A million years ago" is great by any standard.

ctviggen

« Reply #12 on: 1 Dec 2015, 02:57 pm »
Adele has an amazing voice.  I guess my ears are tuned differently than yours.  I have some Melody Gardot, but she doesn't do it for me my like Adele does.  I like Ann Wilson, Stefani Germanotta, Karen Carpenter, and Christina Aguilara as well.
Adele is far from done.  I find it disconcerting that you came up with that phrase, without thinking about the sensationalism of the statement.  She sounds just like her recording, which I find rather pleasing, when singing live.

I find it difficult to select one artist's voice over another's.  They all have good voices within their range.  For Adele, I really liked 21, although I recommend not listening to the lyrics as they're depressing.  I'm going to buy 25, too, as I have 19 also. 

I don't have any Melody Gardot.  Any recommendations on what to buy?

TomS

« Reply #13 on: 1 Dec 2015, 03:18 pm »
I find it difficult to select one artist's voice over another's.  They all have good voices within their range.  For Adele, I really liked 21, although I recommend not listening to the lyrics as they're depressing.  I'm going to buy 25, too, as I have 19 also. 

Worrisome Heart is a very good starting point.

Don_S

« Reply #14 on: 1 Dec 2015, 04:35 pm »

I really like several of the songs on Melody Gardot's first major commercial releases, Worrisome Heart and My One and Only Thrill. But too many of the tracks I found dreary.  Even more so on later releases.

If you are fortunate enough to get the later release of My One and Only Thrill it has a bonus disc with live tracks.  I think it might only be available on Amazon.  There were some wonderful live videos on YouTube but they were removed due to copyright issues.  I am so pissed at her for not releasing more live versions. She morphs in concert to a butt-kicker. She kicks up the tempo and so does the band and they sometimes do instrumental solos in the songs. So different and engaging compared to the coma-inducing CD, The Absence.

mix4fix

• Facilitator
  • I reject your music, and substitute my own.

brooklyn

« Reply #16 on: 1 Dec 2015, 06:40 pm »
I never heard of Melody Gardot before this thread.. I just watched some of her
videos on YouTube. I think she’s the bomb. I will be getting some of her Cd’s.   

Phil A

« Reply #17 on: 1 Dec 2015, 06:52 pm »
I just have Melody Gardot's first couple of albums.  I didn't like some of the reviews I saw of later releases so I never bought them.

Early B.

« Reply #18 on: 1 Dec 2015, 07:38 pm »
I bought Adele's 25. Sounds like her previous stuff, but my wife likes, "Hello" so I'm gonna keep it. She's very talented, but I don't care for the music.

Based on recommendations here, I just bought Melody Gardot's "My One and Only Thrill" just to see what all the hype is about. 

charmerci

« Reply #19 on: 1 Dec 2015, 08:24 pm »
I never heard of Melody Gardot before this thread.. I just watched some of her
videos on YouTube. I think she’s the bomb. I will be getting some of her Cd’s.   

I love all her albums - though she does too many slow songs. If she would do more of her upbeat songs, I think she'd sell much more.

Should we start a MG  thread?  :scratch: