Music You Can Strongly Recommend to Friends

Jon L

Music You Can Strongly Recommend to Friends
« on: 12 Jul 2015, 04:32 pm »
Instead of simply giving lists of many albums "Recently Picked Up" or "Listening to now," I wished for a thread where I could get some specific, strong recommendations for those albums I should listen to and perhaps purchase.   

I'll start with two recent purchases that I can definitely recommend. 

CurrencyofMan by drjlo1, on Flickr

Melody Gardot "Currency of Man"

I've always loved Melody Gardot, but this album is simply tremendous with previously unheard power and grandeur in her voice and arrangements with fabulous sound quality to boot.

TravellingKind by drjlo1, on Flickr

Emmylou Harris "The Travelling Kind (With rodney Crowell)"

Emmylou's albums have always been either a hit or miss for me, as I don't tend to like too much honky-tonk.  There's plenty of country in this album, and even though I prefer the parts with Emmylou over Mr. Crowell, there are tracks on this album that are simply heart-stopping. 

WGH

Re: Music You Can Strongly Recommend to Friends
« Reply #1 on: 12 Jul 2015, 07:05 pm »
Brian Wilson - No Pier Pressure (2015)

Yes, Brian is back! Wonderfully breezy summer music from the master, both familiar and new at the same time. Excellent sound too.

charmerci

« Reply #2 on: 12 Jul 2015, 07:17 pm »

Melody Gardot "Currency of Man"

I've always loved Melody Gardot, but this album is simply tremendous with previously unheard power and grandeur in her voice and arrangements with fabulous sound quality to boot.

Great - thanks. I love her music too but too much of it is too slow and has a tendency to be sleepy. I would hope that she would make more upbeat music.

Jon L

« Reply #3 on: 12 Jul 2015, 08:33 pm »
Great - thanks. I love her music too but too much of it is too slow and has a tendency to be sleepy. I would hope that she would make more upbeat music.

I know what you mean, but have you listened to this latest album?  It's got the slow tracks, too, but many songs are powerful, upbeat, driving music with such well-recorded drums and percussion that flexes my skull.

BoJonJovi

« Reply #4 on: 18 Jul 2015, 02:41 pm »
Hey thanks for Melody Gardot. Very nice.
try
Jamie Sieber, Lush Mechanique

http://magnatune.com/artists/albums/sieber-lush?song=1

Ern Dog

« Reply #5 on: 18 Jul 2015, 03:42 pm »
Shelby Lynne's "I can't Imagine" is the best I've ever heard from her.  Music is emotionaly expressive, soulful, laid back and has Excellent sound quality.  My favorite so far for 2015.

http://www.amazon.com/I-Cant-Imagine-Shelby-Lynne/dp/B00TQESC9C/ref=pd_sim_15_7?ie=UTF8&refRID=0RGAF1AGE405650TZX24

Ern Dog

« Reply #6 on: 18 Jul 2015, 04:07 pm »
Bojonjovi- I really like the Jamie Sieber cd, just ordered it from Amazon.

BoJonJovi

« Reply #7 on: 19 Jul 2015, 03:56 pm »
Ok I like Jamie Sieber but I can't say she makes me do ditti bop hop across the room. Maybe a belly flop in bed thou.
How about
Gomez, How We Operate  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L8sC9EkVL-Y
and Morphine, Yes    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AnRMpIRVTUc
and Jack Johnson, In Between Dreams https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OkyrIRyrRdY&list=RDOkyrIRyrRdY#t=37
Jack Johnson always makes me feel a bit breezy.

Always liked Brian Wilson and his latest is a very nice listen. I had not given him a listen since Smile. It seems he has finally contained his demons. I always thought In My Room was a cry for help. I saw the boys once in 74 on a comeback tour through Colorado. I don't think Brian was with them that year.

I will have to give the Ditty Hop theme a little more thought.

Peter J

• Hmmmm
« Reply #8 on: 19 Jul 2015, 04:53 pm »
Morphine.

Their music sounds like their name.

I like it.

Don_S

« Reply #9 on: 19 Jul 2015, 05:00 pm »
I know what you mean, but have you listened to this latest album?  It's got the slow tracks, too, but many songs are powerful, upbeat, driving music with such well-recorded drums and percussion that flexes my skull.

How does The Traveling Kind compare with her previous collaboration with Rodney, Old Yellow Dog? I am a big Emmylou fan but OYD was a huge yawn.

Don_S

« Reply #10 on: 19 Jul 2015, 05:06 pm »
Jon L,

Is Currency of Man like The Absence?  I hated that CD but I was a fan of her previous albums. The 30-second clips I heard on Amazon sucked.  I have been waiting for something good from Melody Gardot for a long time. There were some YouTube clips of her concerts where she kicked ass. Then she comes out with a totally dreary CD (The Absence).  :cry:

darth

« Reply #11 on: 21 Jul 2015, 11:07 am »
A little 70's German Krautrock from none other than Popol Vuh. Listening to both In The Gardens Of Pharao and Aguirre and it's a mind- blowing experience!

BoJonJovi

« Reply #12 on: 24 Jul 2015, 02:32 pm »
Try Amel Larrieux, Get Up
Love that cut.
Don, I read Calvin and Hobbs every morning. If I am down I pick up one the books for a quick lift.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=08zwtkQ6cKE

DogsPart2

« Reply #13 on: 6 Oct 2015, 02:24 pm »
Sadies

Jason Isbell

Mathius Eick

Marcin Wasilewski

anything new by Ray Davies

Sir Yacho

« Reply #14 on: 7 Oct 2015, 02:48 pm »
For the Jamie Sieber crowd that is into tasteful new age/ambient cello.

Look into David Darling here:

...and 2009 Grammy Winner here:

I know there is a DXD version of "8 String Religion" available.  Not sure about "Prayer for Compassion".