My new Beta 12LTA over H-frame Alpha build

Poultrygeist

My new Beta 12LTA over H-frame Alpha build
« on: 8 May 2012, 11:59 am »
I finished these this past weekend and wow, what a big lively sound and more detail than I expected from a 12 inch.

Poultrygeist

Re: My new Beta 12LTA over H-frame Alpha build
« Reply #1 on: 8 May 2012, 12:14 pm »
I've never been able to get a decent finish on MDF so my solution here was textured wallpaper which I painted. Up close it looks like leather. At 98dbs the Betas play loud and move lots of air. Very dynamic, well suited to a variety of music and affordable.

JohnR

« Reply #2 on: 8 May 2012, 12:19 pm »
Looks nice, what tweeter is that?

Poultrygeist

« Reply #3 on: 8 May 2012, 12:27 pm »
JohnR,

The tweeter is a Peavey that was on sale at PE.

jagtek

« Reply #4 on: 10 May 2012, 12:59 am »
Nice job !
  I just finished some Hammer super 12 clones using the same driver.
They sound really good.

Poultrygeist

« Reply #5 on: 10 May 2012, 01:52 am »
I like your super 12 clones. Have you considered cutting off the dust cap and adding a phase plug? It's said to really smooth out the Beta.

Gothover

« Reply #6 on: 10 May 2012, 05:18 am »
Speaker looks great, nice work.

Dave

Poultrygeist

« Reply #7 on: 22 May 2012, 11:46 am »
I'm now driving the super tweeters with their own t-amp.

Poultrygeist

« Reply #8 on: 22 May 2012, 12:01 pm »
I added these phase plugs to the Betas and the improvement was quite significant. They now seem as smooth as the Tang Bands which are relegated to the closet for the time being.

nicoch

« Reply #9 on: 24 May 2012, 05:18 pm »
I added these phase plugs to the Betas and the improvement was quite significant. They now seem as smooth as the Tang Bands which are relegated to the closet for the time being.

Wow ! sure ? will be great news....

RCduck7

« Reply #10 on: 24 May 2012, 06:23 pm »
Very nice! So are these better then your under 300$ project on "cheap & cheerful"? http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=101222.0
It seems you have fun on building and have very good sound for little money in the process. But if you would plan a next project, why not something a little more extravagent? I have read on this forum that the AE IB15 driver is far superior then the Alpha 15 for instance from someone his experience...
http://www.aespeakers.com/drivers.php?driver_id=8

Poultrygeist

« Reply #11 on: 24 May 2012, 09:09 pm »
IMO the Beta/H-frame Alphas sound better than my Betsy/Flat baffle Alphas but they cost a little more.

The Alpha 15A's in H-frames offer fast bass transients and sound nothing like a plodding sub. I prefer them as they are full range bass drivers with high Qts. ( 1.26 ) and high efficiency ( 97db ). Martin J. King, who has forgotten more than I'll never know about open baffles likes them as well.

http://www.quarter-wave.com/

ttan98

« Reply #12 on: 25 May 2012, 01:07 pm »
Nice work, what about the phase plug on the Beta, does it look a little vulgar?

Poultrygeist

« Reply #13 on: 25 May 2012, 05:46 pm »
Do these look better? :D

nicoch

« Reply #14 on: 25 May 2012, 06:03 pm »
IMO the Beta/H-frame Alphas sound better than my Betsy/Flat baffle Alphas but they cost a little more.

HI Poultrygeist ,thanks  but respect  the TB w8-1808? (this is not cheaper like Betsy)

Poultrygeist

« Reply #15 on: 25 May 2012, 06:41 pm »
The Beta's sound different but not better than the Tang Band W8-1808's. The flexibility of using the same H-frames allows me to change out just the tops and I expect to go back and forth between the Betas and Tang Bands.

I'll be building another pair of H-frames to stack or to use in my garage as I have an extra pair of Alphas.

The Betsy's I have use an early run of hemp cones ( per WB Labs info ) and although they lack the big sound of the Beta's my enthusiasm for them has not waned in the least. The folding wing Betsy's hooked me on OB's and I'm forever grateful for them and the Darkstar odyssey.

nicoch

« Reply #16 on: 25 May 2012, 07:04 pm »
 :) the first love....

btw great work ! and good info, like the alpha work different /better on H frame ....

Poultrygeist

« Reply #17 on: 26 May 2012, 01:18 pm »
The phase plugs are nothing more than $.99 wooden Easter eggs from a local craft store ( AC Moore ). They are not true egg shaped as they have a flat bottom which allows them to sit on a base which I used in the first pictured phase plug. The added base extends their length more than is necessary. I countersunk some screws in the egg's flat bottom which holds them in place magnetically. I have some pictures of an easy procedure to cut off dust caps on another forum.

I don't know how many of you have tried OB but for me it was an epiphany. I've owned some well respected commercially made speakers such as Aerial Acoustics and Zu's but they just don't come close to what I get from these humble home spun OB's.

I can't multi-task in the same room while they're playing as I lose my train of thought and totally forget what I'm doing. If you like to read with music in the background these OB's may not be a good choice. Like a drug they take me somewhere else.

Anyone contemplating this build shouldn't think twice. They are so worth the modest effort.

Poultrygeist

« Reply #18 on: 17 Jul 2012, 03:29 pm »
Here are the Easter egg phase plugs I picked up at a local craft store. I screwed wood screws in their flat base so they would magnetically attach. The highs on the Betas have really smoothed out. I love OB and can't see myself building anything else. Nothing compares and I don't care if I'm preaching to the choir.

Poultrygeist

« Reply #19 on: 17 Jul 2012, 03:37 pm »
They look almost sexy in low light.  :lol: