For Japanese knife enthusiasts....

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
Re: For Japanese knife enthusiasts....
« Reply #300 on: 28 Nov 2017, 11:20 pm »
Should you choose to keep the original angles, and decide to get a few stones, then something like these cheap guides work well.  For just over 10 bucks they are quite effective and will let you put different angles on different sides.   
https://www.chefknivestogo.com/anguforshst.html

EdRo

• Industry Participant
« Reply #301 on: 29 Nov 2017, 01:19 am »
Pretty handy guide set, and not expensive at all! They also have a sharpening stone , an Imanishi Two Sided 1K/6K Stone, on that same page as the angle guides. What would I use for this Japanese knife?

S Clark

« Reply #302 on: 29 Nov 2017, 02:15 am »
Sharpening is another can of worms.  What is your current skill level?  Are you comfortable with sharpening free hand to get a knife to shave arm hair or slice paper?  The answer to your question can be a complete sharpening system, or as simple as a combination stone. 
As I mentioned, I really don't know your steel.  But a 500, 1500, 3000 set of stones would cover a lot of bases.  The steel might take an edge up to 8 000  but probably not much more... and then there are strops and diamond paste.   
IF this knife has as much chromium in it as the speculations I've read, I think a 1000/6000 is too big of a gap on a tough steel.  You might look for an additional stone to fill the gap.  Also, stones will eventually need to be flattened. I'm fond of the Shapton stones because they are slow to dish and don't have to be soaked before using. 
There aren't many reviews of this stone, but I like the 1000/3000 gap better than the 1K/6K stone. 
https://www.chefknivestogo.com/ceraxcombo1k3k.html

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #303 on: 29 Nov 2017, 03:54 am »
The CarboNext knives are a screaming bargain!  I only wish they offered a line of CarboNext knives with Wa handles.  If you like the Yo-style (ie Western handled) then there's no much need to spend any more.  I have a lot of Japanese knives, partly because I'm a chef and partly because I'm a knife nerd.  If you really want a laser (ie a super thin blade) then these aren't the last word but if you're not looking for Kate-Moss-thin then they're terrific.  Whatever the steel actually is it seems to be a tool steel.  It will patina and even develop red rust if you abuse it.  It seems to be finer grained than VG-10 and seems to have less Tungsten (that's just a guess on my part) as it doesn't hold the burr as tenaciously as even VG-10.  I think it's an outstanding steel.  For all the talk about the new Super Steels there are plenty of great steels that have been around for a good while.  I do like playing with the new SoTA toys but for the money it's hard to beat the Kagayaki.

S Clark

« Reply #304 on: 29 Nov 2017, 05:10 am »
Rob, what would you recommend for sharpening stones?  I'm really in the dark with my advice.  All I could find on it indicated high Cr content. 
On further research, some speculate it's a variation of D2 tool steel, which is consistent with the guys that say it's a bit tougher to sharpen than VG10, but keeps an edge better. 

bladesmith

• water quenching steel since 2001....
    • palmer knives
« Reply #305 on: 30 May 2019, 11:56 pm »
This is my personal nakiri.
After 10 years of service.
(Nakiri can be spelled with an "a" or "i". Depending whether you lived in the northern Japan or southern Japan. )
The first pic was my original photo of knife, when it was posted 10 years ago.
The second was a photo made today..
I build my knives to last a lifetime.  And all are guaranteed for life. No matter how they fail.
I've forged/sold knives since 2001.. studied knife making since 1982.  My knives are made of high carbon tool steel and  ball bearing steel.

This post was just  for information purposes only, it was not made for soliciting new business. 
Thank you for looking..

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #306 on: 31 May 2019, 12:11 am »
I will be a customer of yours... one of these days, when the proper light shines on me.

lokie

« Reply #307 on: 31 May 2019, 12:30 am »
Hey Bladesmith... That looks just like the one you made for me.
We love using it everyday... and have a high pride of ownership! Custom made by an artisan in the USA w American Steel.

stlrman

« Reply #308 on: 31 May 2019, 12:03 pm »
Hey Bladesmith, What's with all the forging shows on TV????

bladesmith

• palmer knives
« Reply #309 on: 31 May 2019, 01:51 pm »
Hey Bladesmith... That looks just like the one you made for me.
We love using it everyday... and have a high pride of ownership! Custom made by an artisan in the USA w American Steel.

Lokie,
Thanks , I'm glad you are happy with the knife. 

V...

bladesmith

• palmer knives
« Reply #310 on: 31 May 2019, 02:02 pm »
Hey Bladesmith, What's with all the forging shows on TV????

Stlrman,
Im not sure, when they first started,  I watched one episode years ago. Then I've never watched another.
You must aneal the steel at some point, heat it up again,  then heat treat it with lower temperatures.  To get it at the right hardness.  I dont think its possible to do in one hour..  it's not possible to make quality steel in one hour, if that's what they are insinuating..  but, I'm not in Hollywood.  Nor, do I have the magic of Hollywood.. :scratch:

V...

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
« Reply #311 on: 31 May 2019, 07:15 pm »
A few years ago while we were touring Jinmen Island (also spelled Kinmen), we visited a workshop that takes unexploded artillery shells (explosives had already been removed!) and turns them into knives. Check this out:

bladesmith

• palmer knives
« Reply #312 on: 31 May 2019, 09:10 pm »
Im not sure what kind of steel incases a mortar or shell round..🤔🤔

mresseguie

« Reply #313 on: 31 May 2019, 10:36 pm »
Rusty steel, apparently.  :lol:

I hadn't thought about this till now. I don't know either. I imagine it needn't be the best quality steel considering the artillery round's manufacturer only wants the thing to explode and kill people. Our knife has not yet been used. It's pretty enough that my wife isn't inclined to use it, but I'd like to give it a whirl.

Thousands of these knives have been produced over a couple decades. Surely, someone must know something about the steel.  :scratch:

aldcoll

• Champagne Taste on a Water Budget
« Reply #314 on: 31 May 2019, 11:49 pm »
It appears that the shells were for Propaganda.  The shells are of Chinese Origin.

"Wu says unlike regular shells, which are designed to shatter into killing fragments, propaganda shells are ideal for making knives because they are made of high-grade steel, designed to split neatly open and demoralise the opponent."
https://www.lonelyplanet.com/taiwan/kincheng/shopping/maestro-wu-bombshell-steel-knives/a/poi-sho/1358783/1327844

And for the video:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gsSHdl5cunw

And here is a better video.  Coal in the forge and a air trip hammer, I am in love.  https://vimeo.com/95236049

Fascinating.

Alan

lewdogg

« Reply #315 on: 1 Jun 2019, 01:29 am »
Count me in on this thread...time to start at page 1.

The 210mm nakiri is my latest addition. It's a beast and I love it. Think I'm done with Toyamas...

300mm suji
270mm honyaki gyuto
240mm kasumi gyuto
210mm kasumi nakiri
150mm kasumi petty

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #316 on: 1 Jun 2019, 01:58 am »
Nice!
What wood is that board?
I've got a bunch of white oak from a recent project, and have been thinking about making an endgrain board from the extras.
I'm imagining that's about what it would look like.

mresseguie

« Reply #317 on: 1 Jun 2019, 02:01 am »
It appears that the shells were for Propaganda.  The shells are of Chinese Origin.

"Wu says unlike regular shells, which are designed to shatter into killing fragments, propaganda shells are ideal for making knives because they are made of high-grade steel, designed to split neatly open and demoralise the opponent."
https://www.lonelyplanet.com/taiwan/kincheng/shopping/maestro-wu-bombshell-steel-knives/a/poi-sho/1358783/1327844

And for the video:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gsSHdl5cunw

And here is a better video.  Coal in the forge and a air trip hammer, I am in love.  https://vimeo.com/95236049

Fascinating.

Alan

You're awesome, Alan!  :thumb:

aldcoll

• Champagne Taste on a Water Budget
« Reply #318 on: 1 Jun 2019, 02:21 am »
Is there any info on the paperwork with the knife?

And your appears to be a Damascus blade? 

A

JohnR

« Reply #319 on: 1 Jun 2019, 02:42 am »
Cool recycling :thumb: