Cheap/Free Tweaks ($10.00 or less)

John Ryder

Re: Cheap/Free Tweaks ($10.00 or less)
« Reply #120 on: 6 Dec 2008, 11:12 pm »
  Put some PTFE teflon tape from (Lowes) on your AC plugs and on the center pin of the RF cable coming from your satellite dish and to your satellite receiver RF hook up.  Take about 3 inches of tape and wrap it around each ac prong (all three AC prongs) and then push it all the way up to the base of the plug. On the RF cable take about 2 inches of tape and wrap it around the center pin of the RF cable (I used a Toothpick to hold one end of the tape down at the base of the RF cable and then used another toothpick to wrap the tape around the center pin tightly)  and push it up to the base of the RF cable. This Tweak lowers the noise floor a little giving you a better sounding system and a better TV picture !  Update.....I put some teflon tape on both ends of my speaker cables and interconnects(I put it on the center pins of the interconnects) and this took my system to a whole new level ! Update..... I put teflon tape on the female RCA ground connection on the gear and  on the ground connection of the RF cable too.   I would like to get some feedback from you all on this tweak....... I also noticed that putting teflon tape on the AC plugs makes your gear RUN COOLER too, giving your gear a longer life!

Wow you must have has a HORRIBLE system if a few inches of tape took it to "a whole new level!!"......

Seriously...I call MAJOR BS on this whole scenario.

PaleRider

« Reply #121 on: 31 Jan 2009, 08:52 pm »

After years of ultimate speaker developement I`ve stumbeled over quite a few cheap tweaks. One of my biggest jaw-drops came from experimenting with solid core powercords. From earlier I knew that solid conductors is the one and only solutuion for audio, but I hadn`t in my wildest imagined that a multicore powercord really damaged current that much.
  Uppgrading powercords inside boxes, like from rear powerintake to frontmounted off/on-switch and back to powersuppy is worth the job too 8)

Btw; if you`re running powerful transistor-amps on big multiway boxes some real solid conductors wont hurt the performance. For real woofers fun begins around 9awg single, no stranded junk :nono: :wink:

whubbard

« Reply #122 on: 1 Feb 2009, 08:52 pm »

Wow you must have has a HORRIBLE system if a few inches of tape took it to "a whole new level!!"......

I too would be forced to agree with you, but people have done way more minor tweeks, and claimed a whole lot more....(not that I buy into them either.)

-West

cornhulio

• The Great Cornhulio
« Reply #123 on: 1 Feb 2009, 09:21 pm »
If you have a tweeter that is a little or a lot on the harsh or bright side, it could be that the crossover point is too low which allows too much mid-frequency sound to pass to the tweeter. Putting a small value (~1.0 uf/ 250 v) $2 inline radial mylar cap on the tweeter will block the harsh mids from reaching the tweeter but still allow the smooth and silky highs to reach the tweeter. This mod saved me $1000 by not having to replace the 20 sl2000 tweeters in my 4 pair of vintage polk sda speaks. See my sig for more detail.

thunderbrick

• Volunteer
  • I'm just not right!
« Reply #124 on: 1 Feb 2009, 09:54 pm »
  Put some PTFE teflon tape from (Lowes) on your AC plugs and on the center pin of the RF cable coming from your satellite dish and to your satellite receiver RF hook up.  Take about 3 inches of tape and wrap it around each ac prong (all three AC prongs) and then push it all the way up to the base of the plug. On the RF cable take about 2 inches of tape and wrap it around the center pin of the RF cable (I used a Toothpick to hold one end of the tape down at the base of the RF cable and then used another toothpick to wrap the tape around the center pin tightly)  and push it up to the base of the RF cable. This Tweak lowers the noise floor a little giving you a better sounding system and a better TV picture !  Update.....I put some teflon tape on both ends of my speaker cables and interconnects(I put it on the center pins of the interconnects) and this took my system to a whole new level ! Update..... I put teflon tape on the female RCA ground connection on the gear and  on the ground connection of the RF cable too.   I would like to get some feedback from you all on this tweak....... I also noticed that putting teflon tape on the AC plugs makes your gear RUN COOLER too, giving your gear a longer life!

Or maybe he's just pulling our chains to see who falls for it.  Isn't that stuff kind of an insulator?

turkey

« Reply #125 on: 17 Mar 2009, 02:59 pm »

Or maybe he's just pulling our chains to see who falls for it.  Isn't that stuff kind of an insulator?

Yes.

One thing he's right about is that your gear _will_ run cooler with this tweak. :)

dyohn

• the12volt.com
« Reply #126 on: 17 Mar 2009, 03:46 pm »
Proper use of this tweak can make every system sound much more clear:

iGrant

« Reply #127 on: 19 Mar 2009, 09:52 pm »

I handed them out at the Vancouver Island diyFEST last year, but mine were 9N cotton and directional :)

Cheers,
Ian

cryoparts

« Reply #128 on: 19 Mar 2009, 09:54 pm »

I handed them out at the Vancouver Island diyFEST last year, but mine were 9N cotton and directional :)

Cheers,
Ian

Should have sent them to me and had them cryo'd!   :lol:

Peace,

Lee

iGrant

« Reply #129 on: 19 Mar 2009, 09:58 pm »
Tube socket cleaner, while browsing a make up store a couple of weeks ago ...

Came across some free sample eyeliner brushes, that does a great job of getting into all but smaller (like 9 pin) sockets. Spray a bit of your fav contact cleaner and poke and twirl away. Should make a difference having clean contacts, mine were clean already, so no difference. The kind staff informed me that I could grab a handful and that most make-up type store have them.

Cheers,
Ian

iGrant

« Reply #130 on: 19 Mar 2009, 10:07 pm »

Should have sent them to me and had them cryo'd!   :lol:

Peace,

Lee

Next up is getting my head cryo'd again. I think it's wearing off.

Cheers,
Ian