Why Playstation 4 (Toslink) sound worst than Pi (USB)?

kaka89

I am a Spotify user and I usually use Pi with Volumio and USB to stream music.

Tonight I tried to use Playstation 4 to stream the same song via Toslink, it sounds worst than my Pi setup.
The sound of violin was so bad on Playstation 4, it was not smooth at all.

La campanella: https://open.spotify.com/track/3Q3n7SX1Wz9EouUYCr98vQ?si=0Rm6R6DBTwOyzra-S6GzHQ

According to Spotify, the quality on both platforms should be the same. The only thing different is the connection method: Toslink and USB.
Since both methods are digital, I am expecting they would sound about the same.
I am wondering why?

I am using Nuprime DAC-9 & STA-9 with Focal Aria 926.

PS: The Nuprime, Focal and Pi combination is great. It is affordable and I love the sound.

kingdeezie

Re: Why Playstation 4 (Toslink) sound worst than Pi (USB)?
« Reply #1 on: 23 Jan 2018, 02:41 pm »
I don’t think this has anything to do with the digital connection method. Having used a PS4 and a PS4Pro now to stream music via Spotify , there is just something inherently off about the sound. There is definitely some type of harshness.

I think it has to be something with the APP, and how the sound is decoded. I have my PS4Pro running through a Mutec, and you can still hear it.

It’s ok for background music, but not great for critical listening.

kaka89

Re: Why Playstation 4 (Toslink) sound worst than Pi (USB)?
« Reply #2 on: 24 Jan 2018, 03:34 am »
I think it has to be something with the APP, and how the sound is decoded. I have my PS4Pro running through a Mutec, and you can still hear it.

This is what I thought too. But since I am using an external DAC, shouldn't the decoding be done in the external DAC instead of the app?