'Best Headphones of 2017' lists (Steve Guttenberg/CNET & Tyll H./Innerfidelity)

dB Cooper

Interesting list. Discuss?
https://www.cnet.com/pictures/the-audiophiliac-picks-the-best-headphones-of-2017/

Persoally I think any list that includes a Beats model is a little suspect, but... 

Note: Edited the thread name to reflect the inclusion of both the CNet and Innrerfidelity lists)
« Last Edit: 7 Jan 2018, 04:53 am by dB Cooper »

dflee

Interesting is the correct word. Lost it's credibility with me
in the yo-yo pics ($39 to $6000).

Letitroll98

• Facilitator
  • Too loud is just right
Steve is charged with coming up with a market survey type of list, it needs to include all pricing categories to be useful for Cnet.  If he were doing something independent I think his choices would be different.  I don't find these types of lists to be helpful buying guides, but he did an okay job on an impossible task.

Jon L

Should read "Best non-electrostat Headphones"  :green:

95Dyna

I continue to be puzzled at the complete absence of mention or coverage of the new Grado ps2000e. it's almost like it doesn't exist. there are three reviews out on it all of which are very positive one of which even says that it's in a different League  tha :scratch:n another highly-regarded $1,800 range pair that is currently on Tyll's wall of fame.

Johnny2Bad

Although they like to think they can cover audio in a professional manner ("because it's tech"), I don't find reviews on CNET to be particularly valuable. I'm not convinced it's "all Steve's fault" but that doesn't change the fact that I too often find the conclusions expressed in that particular media website suspect.

Sometimes it seems like if it makes some sound that somewhat resembles music, it's good to go. Not exactly how I view quality audio equipment.

charmerci

Interesting list. Discuss?
https://www.cnet.com/pictures/the-audiophiliac-picks-the-best-headphones-of-2017/

Persoally I think any list that includes a Beats model is a little suspect, but...

It's a popular (for the masses) site so I imagine he gets thousands of "which Beats should I buy?" so by giving a recommendation, he saves himself a big hassle.

restrav

Monoprice 1060 2nd batch must be on the list.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
This list is merchandising paid to advertise the products, the HPs were not classified by SQ or price, the title say:
he Audiophiliac picks the best headphones of 2017
Or ie all are the best.

hibuckhobby

• On a search for audio nirvana
How can you possibly know that?  Apparently you feel free to have opinions
and at the same time question the motives of others who also have opinions.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
Its not difficult to know it, if no one is bad...(when the editor cant point defects from a item published in the magazine the product is a sponsor).

Roninaudio

• I don't necessarily agree with everything I say.
So not to hijack the thread, but since there are experts weighing in on this:

I'm in the market for headphones- I was thinking of the LCD2 Classics and this is right in my budget.  I think I can find a local spot where I can try them out.  Thoughts?

I currently have the Audeze Deckard to a Win10/Roon setup which "caters" to Audeze but does not mandate the purchase unless you guys feel the match / integration has benefits....

Thanks (you guys probably have a ton of "which should I buy threads" but if that's where this question belongs, I apologize.) 

trackball02

I had the LCD2, and it was the "Fazor" edition, so probably a good example of the series.  It was a very, very neutral headphone, with a slight dropoff on the extreme ends.  Some people might consider it boring, but if you don't like it as-is, a slight boost at either extreme end can only make it better.

I just got the LCD2 Classics, and really enjoy them. Very comfortable, great sound and I really cannot find any weaknesses with them. The top end is fine to me. Plus the price is not over the top. 

My other phones are the Massdrop Fostex TH-X00 Ebony and I prefer the LCD2 Classics. The LCD2s are well worth the effort to audition.

Roninaudio

Thank you.... I should mention I currently have Audio Technica ATH-A1000Z if that helps as a comparison.  I'm not sure I'm a closed can guy.  My previous were open Sennheiser's and I think those suited me better.  When on phones I listen to a lot of rock, some jazz but definitely elevated SPLs... 

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
Hi Ronin,
It would be useful if you decide in advance which type you want> Neutral or Warm sound. I like very warm planars as the HE400, mine is the original HE400 and its hurts the head after 1 hour, I suppose the new versions are better, on the positive side its great w/analogue recordings.

Roninaudio

In response to above, I tend more towards "neutral". My speaker preference is Dynaudio and Focal. I like a very detailed, up front type sound. Phones get a lot of rock use vs on the couch quiet smooth jazz. I have Roon set to two zones. First is main speakers which has no DSP or settings changed except for "event style" (I use WASAPI). Zone 2 is phones only. There are of course multiple pre-sets for Audeze and then tweaks I guess. However I at the moment just have the phone/BiAural setting on.

I guess my picks on the list would be LCD2 and the Focal.  $ delta though....  No experience with HiFiman, MrSpeakers  or others.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
No experience with HiFiman, MrSpeakers  or others.
I read here AC the HE560 are not warm as the 400, but neutral.
Maybe this HifiMan chart may help:

santacore

In response to above, I tend more towards "neutral". My speaker preference is Dynaudio and Focal. I like a very detailed, up front type sound. Phones get a lot of rock use vs on the couch quiet smooth jazz. I have Roon set to two zones. First is main speakers which has no DSP or settings changed except for "event style" (I use WASAPI). Zone 2 is phones only. There are of course multiple pre-sets for Audeze and then tweaks I guess. However I at the moment just have the phone/BiAural setting on.

I guess my picks on the list would be LCD2 and the Focal.  $ delta though....  No experience with HiFiman, MrSpeakers  or others.

For your taste I would suggest Focal or Denon phones over the LCD2's.

dB Cooper

Here is Innerfidelity's "Ten Best of 2017" list. Interesting to compare, but I think this is a slightly better list. Noteworthy (to me) that Sennheiser grabbed three of the ten spots, all for 'budget' cans; guess they've still got some game.

Thoughts on this list?

dB Cooper

Tyll isn't the Moses of audio, bringing down the tablets from on high (and neither is any other reviewer). But I like to read him for several reasons. One, he's open about his preferences (for warmer signatures, for example), which IMO gives the reader a baseline to judge a headphone to an extent if they've had a chance to hear other things he's reviewed. Two, he provides measurements, which of course aren't the whole story, but are useful. And lastly, unlike most reviewers, he isn't afraid to give a 'meh' review when he thinks a product deserves it- as he did with the AR planars recently, as well as the flagship AKG K812, the HD660S, the big-buck LCD4, and others. Most audio reviewers IMO are afraid to do the same, and have their supply of free audio equipment to nerd out on cut off.