SOLD: Custom Nelson Pass Amp Camp Amps (ACA) - 8w Class A Monoblocs

pstrisik

• Holding pattern in Audio Nirvana in the PNW!

SOLD to a gentleman in Illinois.  Thanks everyone!  :thumb:

--------------------------------------------------------------------

This is a difficult sale.  :?  I built these amps as a labor of love.  I came from tube amps, but was curious about First Watt, all Class A, solid state.  Not wanting to spend $2500+ to try one out, I decided to build the Pass designed Amp Camp Amp kit (ACA).  Lots going on with this over here: http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/pass-labs/215392-amp-camp-amp-aca.html

And here is Nelson Pass' original article about the design:  http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/diyaudio-com-articles/214808-amp-camp-amp-1-a.html

And here's a link directly to my post when I finished building them:  http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/pass-labs/215392-amp-camp-amp-aca-327.html#post5039345

I first built it stock and was impressed.  Impressed enough that I thought these worth keeping.  I purchased a pair of toroidal linear power supplies and modified their chassis to accommodate the ACA amp circuitry.  The power supplies are 24v (with proper bias adjustment).  Both the linear power supply and the greater voltage (24v instead of the stock 19v) really made a huge difference.  It also brings the power up to 8 watts (from 6) per amp.  I used quality RCA jacks and binding posts and silver hookup wire in the signal path.  The amps run quiet.

I made them with two different faceplates.  The ones in the photos are poplar and more gray/black.  The others are made from red oak and are a dark brownish/gray for a bit warmer look.  The oak faceplates are what is currently installed and how they will be shipped.  The power buttons have a blue LED lit circle around them when powered up for a bit of consistency with the First Watt look. 

I stayed impressed for a few months using them.  They have more of a tube than solid state sound given the all Class A design.  They also run hot given the Class A. 

I originally said that I explored this design out of curiosity about Nelson Pass and his First Watt designs.  Perhaps the best thing I can say about this pair is that it got me willing to spend the bucks and buy a First Watt J2!  Yes, the J2 sounds better, but at five+ times the cost. 

I think these are worth quite a bit more for what they offer, but I realize I can't charge top dollar when I am not a professional builder.  Also, shipping will be expensive as these two amps with cords, spare faceplates, and packaging make for a 25lb shipment.  I will use a 12x12x16 double walled shipping box.  That will make for $70 shipping costs with insurance - fedex 2 day - in the US.  Maybe slightly less if you closer to the west coast. (I have a fedex account, so fedex 2day is actually cheaper than fedex ground or USPS Priority Mail).  Canada turns out to be less, but slower, with Fedex International Ground (9 days) at $60.

So, I am selling them for the cost of the parts and materials only.  $600 plus actual shipping and paypal.  I hope someone will fall in love!

..........Peter

« Last Edit: 20 Feb 2018, 03:42 am by pstrisik »

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
Very nice desing and building, w/8W it need a how sensitive speaker?
Its 220V?

pstrisik

Thank you.

It is 120v.  My speakers are 95db, but I think anything over 90db they would power fine unless one likes 100db+ rockin' out.  Of course, in practice, depends on the room and other factors. 

In general, the 95db sensitivity of my speakers would be at 1 meter with 1 watt.  Double power adds 3db.  So 2 watts=98db, 4 watts=101db, 8 watts=104db.  This is still at one meter.  I read a rule of thumb that doubling the distance drops 6db.  So 95db sensitive speakers would be 104db at 1 meter, 98db at 2 meters, and 95db at 3 meters.  For me, that is plenty of output.  Even when rockin' with symphonic pieces, I run about 80db.  That gives 15db overhead.

All pretty academic really.  In practice, we have tons of folks running 2, 4, and 6 watt amps with good results.  My FW J2 is 25wpc and it doesn't sound like it has more power.

You may know all of this, but since you asked, some reading may not.

Cheers!   ........Peter

Afterthought:  That calculation is per speaker, so the headroom is actually more.  We can add 3db back (more depending on who you read) for the second speaker.  So that 95db for 8watts at 3meters would be 98db for stereo speakers

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
Thanks for reply, too bad it dont work in my 220V home.
BTW I liked your moto:
It ain't easy being an audiophile in Alaska!
How much is Custom duties in Alaska?
Now you imagine here with 100%!
(60% Federal+40% State duties).

pstrisik

Ouch!  Where are you?  100% is too much by any standard. 

To answer your question, Alaska is part of the US, so no customs duties if I'm buying anything from within the US.  And, as it stands, I've not had to pay any duties yet whatsoever.  I've bought things directly from China, several places in Europe/Eastern Europe, Canada.  I think our trade policies are pretty liberal (could change under our current administration though).

My tag of "It ain't easy being and audiophile in Alaska" is more about shipping than anything else.  There is also the relative lack of people into the hobby here and virtually no place to buy equipment locally (unless you count Best Buy/Magnolia).  There there are all of the listings here on AudioCircle that say "conus only" like Alaska, Hawaii, Puerto Rico, etc. are foreign countries.  Understandable for a pair of 100lb speakers, but sellers here often add that restriction even for a set of cables and the like.  Fact is, it doesn't cost any more, or hardly anything, when using first class or priority mail to any of these places.  Ok, rant off.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
You lucky guy, that your place yet very cold to run big tubes.
I was told US import duties are tax free under $500.

pstrisik

Brazil!  I guess we do have very different climates.  I've never felt the heat of tubes in the room here.  No air conditioning needed.  Though it is a bit warmer on average than in the past.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
I see yesterday this winter will be strong, they forecast -50ºC for Canada this winter.

doggie

This is a difficult sale.  :?  I built these amps as a labor of love.  I came from tube amps, but was curious about First Watt, all Class A, solid state.  Not wanting to spend $2500+ to try one out, I decided to build the Pass designed Amp Camp Amp kit (ACA).  Lots going on with this over here: http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/pass-labs/215392-amp-camp-amp-aca.html

And here is Nelson Pass' original article about the design:  http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/diyaudio-com-articles/214808-amp-camp-amp-1-a.html

And here's a link directly to my post when I finished building them:  http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/pass-labs/215392-amp-camp-amp-aca-327.html#post5039345

I first built it stock and was impressed.  Impressed enough that I thought these worth keeping.  I purchased a pair of toroidal linear power supplies and modified their chassis to accommodate the ACA amp circuitry.  The power supplies are 24v (with proper bias adjustment).  Both the linear power supply and the greater voltage (24v instead of the stock 19v) really made a huge difference.  It also brings the power up to 8 watts (from 6) per amp.  I used quality RCA jacks and binding posts and silver hookup wire in the signal path.  The amps run quiet.

I made them with two different faceplates.  The ones in the photos are poplar and more gray/black.  The others are made from red oak and are a dark brownish/gray for a bit warmer look.  The oak faceplates are what is currently installed and how they will be shipped.  The power buttons have a blue LED lit circle around them when powered up for a bit of consistency with the First Watt look. 

I stayed impressed for a few months using them.  They have more of a tube than solid state sound given the all Class A design.  They also run hot given the Class A. 

I originally said that I explored this design out of curiosity about Nelson Pass and his First Watt designs.  Perhaps the best thing I can say about this pair is that it got me willing to spend the bucks and buy a First Watt J2!  Yes, the J2 sounds better, but at five+ times the cost. 

I think these are worth quite a bit more for what they offer, but I realize I can't charge top dollar when I am not a professional builder.  Also, shipping will be expensive as these two amps with cords, spare faceplates, and packaging make for a 25lb shipment.  I will use a 12x12x16 double walled shipping box.  That will make for $70 shipping costs with insurance - fedex 2 day - in the US.  Maybe slightly less if you closer to the west coast. (I have a fedex account, so fedex 2day is actually cheaper than fedex ground or USPS Priority Mail).  Canada turns out to be less, but slower, with Fedex International Ground (9 days) at $60.

So, I am selling them for the cost of the parts and materials only.  $600 plus actual shipping and paypal.  I hope someone will fall in love!

..........Peter

I have heard the stock Amp Camp amps in my own system with my old Alnico floorstanders and they are a remarkable value.

They definitely have the Pass house sound and come pretty close to the remarkable J2.

pstrisik

I have heard the stock Amp Camp amps in my own system with my old Alnico floorstanders and they are a remarkable value.

They definitely have the Pass house sound and come pretty close to the remarkable J2.

Thanks for the comment doggie.  And these are a notch above the stock ACA's!

.....Peter

pstrisik

bump

Lots of admiration front and back channel.  Appreciate that.

pstrisik

8)

Whitestix

I acquired a perfectly-built F5 last year and it is unreal.  This is an insane offering and I would buy them in a heartbeat, but have no room for mono's in my rack.  If one has >95 db speakers, these would be fantastic are being sold in the spirit of Nelson Pass's philosophy of selling them at cost of parts.  I imagine these would be vastly better than similarly-powered Decware amps at a multiple of the asking price.  You haven't fully enjoyed your audio system until you have a had a Pass-designed Class A amp in your system.  You might never have such an affordable oppty again if your "pass" on this outstanding pair of amps!  Cheers.

pstrisik

Sold!  sniff  :?  Like sending kids off to college!   :lol:

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
Too bad indeed, if you have a J2 let me know.

pstrisik

If you mean to sell my J2, not anytime soon anyway!

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
Oh nice, Do you have a J2?
Please PM me some photos when possible.