USB cable recommendations?

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
Re: USB cable recommendations?
« Reply #20 on: 19 Nov 2017, 11:50 am »
Check out my comparison of USB cables in the Critic's Circle from October 2015 (system has changed somewhat since then).  Note that this is coming from an old fart 'speaker guy' who grew up not believing in 'wires' and have never found a tweak that worked.  So the 9 cables ranged from $3 to $300. 

Bottom line:  did hear differences (system synergy?), also heard break-in, one of the 4 'fancy' cables didn't work, and the more expensive weren't necessarily the best.  The best was the 3 meter, $74 Straight Wire cable.

Speedskater - my Blue Jean USB Cables didn't come with any documentation of testing, in fact one didn't work at all (but for $3 each I ordered multiples so no big deal).

Roninaudio

• I don't necessarily agree with everything I say.
« Reply #21 on: 19 Nov 2017, 12:43 pm »
I'll agree with JLM , however I have not done a study per say.  It pays in my opinion to pay a bit for a well mfg. cable from someone or an entity you trust. The "do no harm" philosophy. I run Kimber whenever I can (and also had good luck with AudioQuest) and Kimber has never let me down; and there in no doubt in my mind I do not need a AudioQuest "Diamond" USB cable for 1000.00 bucks- much less the ones that cost more.

However in a deviation of the above, I have tried a AC sponsors XLRs (Zenwaveaudio) and he is building me a pair right now.  Reasonably priced and they sound great (I am using demos at the moment). I'll run into the same dilemma on speaker wire.  I'll go Kimber 12TC or AQ type 4.  For the moment I use this fancy stuff and it works fine:
https://www.icecable.com/products/14-4fx?category_id=1

(Although I'm sure the Nordost and Cardas guys will laugh at me)

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #22 on: 19 Nov 2017, 09:48 pm »
You may want to check out the www.thecableco.com as you can trial up to 5 cables at a time with a down payment.  Check out their lending library.

Wind Chaser

« Reply #23 on: 19 Nov 2017, 10:41 pm »
You may want to check out the www.thecableco.com as you can trial up to 5 cables at a time with a down payment.  Check out their lending library.

Oh my, I like that!  :thumb:  :thumb:

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #24 on: 20 Nov 2017, 11:21 am »

Yep, that's what I did for 3 of the 9 cables I compared.  They'll even offer advice, but the advice is very generic and seems to push their favorites.

Johnny2Bad

« Reply #25 on: 20 Nov 2017, 01:30 pm »
A really nice, properly constructed, properly terminated USB cable for a reasonable (although not cheap) price is the Neo series by Oyaide. They are designed for music production and studio use. They are the D+ USB series, come in three grades. Music store resellers, not HiFi resellers.

Neo D+ Class B (Neon Green), ~Class A (Black) and ~Class S (White). The Class B is about $30, the Class A about $60 and the Class S about $120 (price varies a bit based on length, but USB cables should not be too long if you can avoid it). Shop around, those are just ball-park numbers.

The Neon Green Class B is a love/hate colour, but realize they are that way so DJs can see them in dark rooms. And besides, there's always Techflex.

Wind Chaser

« Reply #26 on: 20 Nov 2017, 04:11 pm »
Here’s an interesting comparison between the Chord SilverPlus USB vs. Supra USB. Everything I’ve read about the Chord is consistently good,so it’s on my short list. I’m also curious about Curious Cables for the same reason.

Speedskater

• Kevin
« Reply #27 on: 20 Nov 2017, 10:42 pm »
Speedskater - my Blue Jean USB Cables didn't come with any documentation of testing, in fact one didn't work at all (but for $3 each I ordered multiples so no big deal).
Going back to the BJC page, maybe it's only the Ethernet Cat5 & Cat6 cables that come with a test report.