Icepower 1200AS amp. Class D like you've never heard before

poseidonsvoice, rajacat, Chris Adams, EarlB, ZAKski288, mr_bill, rwolters, bavmike, JakeJ, sandbagger, mamba315, jtsnead and 6 Guests are viewing this topic. Read 35869 times.

uncola

Re: Icepower 1200AS amp. Class D like you've never heard before
« Reply #580 on: 19 Nov 2017, 05:41 am »
Maybe you can strip the cables with a slapchop too :)

bavmike

• Industry Participant
« Reply #581 on: 19 Nov 2017, 06:23 am »
Maybe you can strip the cables with a slapchop too :)

Ha ha good call! Actually great day of listening. I have to spend tomorrow with my family, but I left the amp at Don’s. I’m quite confident Paul’s gonna like what he hears. :) And Paul is coming from Audio Note.

pdg540

« Reply #582 on: 19 Nov 2017, 06:33 am »
Hmmmm..... but I didn't see any glass on that amp board  :lol:

bavmike

• Industry Participant
« Reply #583 on: 19 Nov 2017, 06:50 am »
Hmmmm..... but I didn't see any glass on that amp board  :lol:

Just trust your ears Paul. This is a rare situation where measured results and subjective experience can co-exist in harmony. It’s a beautiful thing when the moons align. :)

Captainhemo

« Reply #584 on: 19 Nov 2017, 07:33 pm »
Spent the afternoon  (about 4 or 5 hrs) listening to the new Icepower AS/2 yesterday.Can't see how anyone would be disappointed with  this. There are no signs of being cold or sterile,  not fatiguing  what so ever. tons of power  and very dynamic

I'd say it's  very neutral, in othe rwords it  amplifies the input signal very   accuately without adding   any   colration.. We listened to quite a bit of  music (sources were from 44.1/16 to DSD256, all upsampled to DSD256 on the server) and  this was apparent as we moved from  album to album,.... whenn the  recording had  a deep ,  well layered sounstage it was  there,   same goes for the overall  sound/tone,   you get  what's on the recording 

"Have You Heard"  from Pat Matheny's Road to You was crazy , literally  a huge prsentation, felt like  I was  at the concert.  We listen to this cut quite  often and  I had never heard it  like this.
 In a few cuts  from Lee Ritenour's  Rythem Sessions  I heard  details in the  recording I'd never  really  noticed before, or at least they weren't  so  apparent.

Can't see anyone who   ordered one of these being anything  les than  impressed.  Only spent a  few hours   with it   (hopefully some more this week)  .    Don and Paul are doing  some more listening this aftnoon,   hopefully  one of them will chime in with   some brief comments as well

So far,   definate  two tumbs up 

jay

monte

« Reply #585 on: 19 Nov 2017, 08:08 pm »
Thanks for your feelings on this amp. Did any of the zenwave options end up on this amp?

bavmike

• Industry Participant
« Reply #586 on: 19 Nov 2017, 08:36 pm »
Thanks for the feedback Jay. Here’s all the details on the killer speakers Jay and Don built, used in this demo.

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=152137.0

The sound is phenomenal!

No Zenwave upgrades here. I’m using a circa 1973 Electrolux vacuum cable for power. Output connectors are duct taped makeshift banana with tin faston’s soldered to the tips. Input cables are the cheap generic cables from Icepower. Not even as good as the Mogami.

jtsnead

• Everybody jumpin' out of they mind
« Reply #587 on: 19 Nov 2017, 08:55 pm »
Love it...do what you gotta do to get it playing

Audiogeek2

« Reply #588 on: 19 Nov 2017, 09:06 pm »
Maybe time to put this stripped down naked option on the webshop. Save some money with no case!  :lol:

bavmike

• Industry Participant
« Reply #589 on: 19 Nov 2017, 09:07 pm »
Maybe time to put this stripped down naked option on the webshop. Save some money with no case!  :lol:

Can’t do that. Can’t just sell the modules. OEM only.

joey116

« Reply #590 on: 19 Nov 2017, 10:37 pm »
Do you have an idea if, & when, it will be possible to order the kit?
Thanks

ThuanDB

« Reply #591 on: 19 Nov 2017, 11:16 pm »
+1

Yeah Mike, I want one.

bavmike

• Industry Participant
« Reply #592 on: 19 Nov 2017, 11:41 pm »
Sorry guys not doing the kit anymore. Only fully assembled. And regarding when Lot 4 deposits, I’ll let you know after I discuss details with Icepower.

Captainhemo

« Reply #593 on: 20 Nov 2017, 03:22 am »
Thanks for your feelings on this amp. Did any of the zenwave options end up on this amp?

LOL  no.... and the reason I laugh is  that we had this poor thing pretty   "bare necessity"  wired....  I won't say any more than that.  It will only get better ... you'll have to trust me on that    !

jay

Edit :  I se you don't have to trust me on  the wiring..... Mike posted some  pics    :)

mresseguie

« Reply #594 on: 20 Nov 2017, 03:39 am »
Jay,

[Howdy from Taiwan!]

Did you have your Dodd connected to the 1200, or another pre?

Your G2Gs are getting better and better. I hope I can convince Melody that we must visit the area (and you, Don, and John) again next summer. Of course, she knows what's up the second I mention your name. LOL!

I'm in the first lot for this amp. Once it's in my hands, I'll be up to my eyeballs in amps. I'll get a DAC next....

Michael

bavmike

• Industry Participant
« Reply #595 on: 20 Nov 2017, 03:48 am »
It was this Allnic L-1500 preamp:

https://www.innerearmag.com/reviews/preamps/Allnic_L-1500.shtml

I'm going to take it to Jay's place and try with his Dood preamp once I get some premium RCA harnesses built.

mresseguie

« Reply #596 on: 20 Nov 2017, 04:11 am »
That's a mighty sweet looking preamp, Mike. I imagine it's equally nice sounding!

It's a little above my budget, so I'll just have to make due with my Don Sachs Model 2.  :) Don is in Nelson.

I'm really looking forward to this amp.

Captainhemo

« Reply #597 on: 20 Nov 2017, 04:59 am »
Jay,

[Howdy from Taiwan!]

Did you have your Dodd connected to the 1200, or another pre?

Your G2Gs are getting better and better. I hope I can convince Melody that we must visit the area (and you, Don, and John) again next summer. Of course, she knows what's up the second I mention your name. LOL!

I'm in the first lot for this amp. Once it's in my hands, I'll be up to my eyeballs in amps. I'll get a DAC next....

Michael

Well first off, youi know you and Melody are always welcome,  we missed having you  guys over this summer.    Lots of changes since   you  were here last....  you'll have to  hear  a couple systems next time   :)

No,  we  were using an Allnic L1500 pre up at Don's on the weekend, nicpiece ,    Mike and I were talking later  that night and thought  the Dodd would be a   great choice to try....   we'll have to give that  a go.  I se it all the time in front of my Folsom.

Yes, you'll have to do some comparisons  with all those   new  toys ..
Enjoy Taiwan my friend

jay
« Last Edit: 20 Nov 2017, 04:42 pm by Captainhemo »

bavmike

• Industry Participant
« Reply #598 on: 20 Nov 2017, 05:02 am »
That's a mighty sweet looking preamp, Mike. I imagine it's equally nice sounding!

It's a little above my budget, so I'll just have to make due with my Don Sachs Model 2.  :) Don is in Nelson.

I'm really looking forward to this amp.

Yes it's a nice sounding unit. A bit on the soft and lush side for folks who like that kind of sound. However with this amp there's absolutely no listening fatigue even with completely neutral preamp's. Or DAC direct to the amp. If you want to hear what your front end truly sounds like, this amp will let you know. It won't lie, and it won't add any coloration or fatigue of it's own to the mix. The limitless power reserves are addicting. Especially with those Extreme speakers. The sheer amount of energy delivered to the room made the hair stand up on the back of my neck. And no matter how loud we cranked them, not even a hint of strain or hardness was present. Extremely effortless sound.

bavmike

• Industry Participant
« Reply #599 on: 20 Nov 2017, 05:05 am »
Wel first off, youi know you and Melody are always welcome,  we missed having you  guys over this summer.    Lots of changes since   you  were here last....  you'll have to  hear  a couple systems next time .

No,  we  were using an Allnic L1500 pre up at Don's on the weekend although,    Mike and I were talking later  that night and thought  the dood would be a   great choice to try....   we'll have to give that  a go.  I sue it all the time in front of my fosom.

Yes, you'll have to do some comparisons  with all those   new  toys ..
Enjoy  taiwan my friend

jay

I made it to today's listening session as well. Don really let those spiders get a workout today :)