SOLD: 15" Woofer Cabinet walnut veneer for Altec 604 or subwoofer use

LP1

Jeffrey Jackson has posted the same ad elsewhere, but I am posting it here. I am the owner and Jeffrey is building me a pair of much more expensive subs. These cabinets have served me incredibly well.

Custom true Baltic Birch speaker cabinets for 15" woofers. Asking $1500 for cabinets only.

They are currently loaded with AE Speakers TD15X woofers, which are available for an additional $400/pair. They can also accept a wide variety of 15" drivers of the "large magnet, light cone" variety, such as the Altec 604, Altec 416, Altec 515, JBL K140, etc...

The cabinet was custom designed and cut on a CNC machine. There are several large internal braces. The cabinet is veneered in a premium walnut veneer that has continuous grain as it wraps around the cabinet. It really needs to be seen to be appreciated. They are in excellent condition.

The cabinet is 21" wide, 18" deep, and 47.5" tall. The rear binding post cup can be removed to convert the cabinet into a vented reflex style tuned to the mid 20's. Each cabinet weighs approximately 150 lbs.

Shipping will be considered, but best is pickup near New York City. I am willing to meet someone within 200 miles.

Last photo shows a different finish color from the cabinets offered here.

« Last Edit: 4 Feb 2018, 08:27 pm by LP1 »

srb

They are currently loaded with AE Speakers TD15X woofers, which are available for an additional $400/pair in the "raw drivers" section.

Additional to what price?

LP1

Thanks. Updated listing. Asking $1500 for pair of cabinets.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
What is enclosure litrage?

LP1

Each cabinet is 245 liters.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
So also suited for Nirvana Super15 fullranges :thumb:
First class wood work;

LP1

Bump

LP1

Bump.

Dieterle Tool

• I don't know what it is, but I wunt it.
couple questions...

Are the 245 liters for the internal volume? If I calculate the internal space using your over-all size, I get 8.17 cu ft./ 231 liters (internal being 19.5" x 15.75" x 46" x .0005787 = 8.17). But 245 liters = 8.65 cu ft?
That's assuming .75" walls with a 1.5" front baffle. Please advise.

Also, can you give me the diameter of the speaker opening?

Thx,
Dieter

LP1

Hi Dieter,

I checked with Jeffrey and you are correct, the volume is 8.17 cu ft. The cutout is 15" inside and 16" recess.

Best,

Evan

Dieterle Tool

• I don't know what it is, but I wunt it.
Thx for the quick reply Evan,

I am on the fence with shipping to Dallas and rear port option. I may PM you with another question or two. They are beautiful and no doubt the craftsmanship looks first class.

-Dieter

jackthecat121

Still available? I just sent you a PM

LP1

Bump. Reduced to $1250. This is a great deal for seriously designed and well made cabinets.

LP1

To further demonstrate the quality and flexibility of these cabinets, I’m posting the below note from the designer, Jeffrey Jackson:

Hello,

I designed the cabinet originally for use with the Altec 604.  I began my research by analyzing the work of the reviewer Jay Fisher, a friend of mine, and then that of Jean Hiraga.  Hiraga used a much smaller cabinet to get an underdamped response and a warmer midbass.  Jay used a much larger cabinet to get lower bass response and a tighter overdamped response in the bass.  In the end, after much simulation, I decided on something in between.  I did like a series resistor when used with a low output impedance amplifier, but I found the resistor was not required when using the high impedance taps of a single ended triode amplifier *without feedback*.  I am not sure if you are versed in the conversation that happens between the speaker and output impedance of the amplifier.  This is often talked about around "damping factor", but it is rarely properly discussed.  More is definitely not better.  The bass character will change dramatically as these parameters are varied.  Critically damped with a single ended tube amplifier will be overdamped with solid state.  Critically damped with solid state amplification will be underdamped with single ended tube amplification.

I hope this helps.  In summation, I used a cabinet size that was slightly overdamped to allow for tuning and compatibility with amplifiers of a wide range of output impedances through the use of series resistors of varying value.

I may have the crossover schematic and even the original crossover using high quality capacitors laying around here somewhere.

Peace,
me

LP1

srb

To mark an ad Sold, modify the original first post subject title and replace the FS: prefix with SOLD:.  It will then actually show as sold in the topic lists.

LP1

Done. Thanks.

srb