• Detailed AND Musical
    • Digital Amplifier Company

AmpDesigner333

• Industry Participant
  • Detailed AND Musical
Re: Audio meet in Allentown, Feb 6
« Reply #1 on: 6 Feb 2016, 06:00 pm »
Hey everyone!  We're having this catered, so come on over and hear some great tunes!

Some very cool equipment is being packed into my car at this very moment....

Starts at 2, but will go until 6 or possibly later.  Hope to see you there!

-Tommy O

AmpDesigner333

• Industry Participant
  • Detailed AND Musical
« Reply #2 on: 7 Feb 2016, 09:38 pm »
Mike,

Thanks for bringing your awesome Raspberry Pi based digital audio source.  You are the most knowledgeable guy on Raspberry Pi that I know!  I need to get one of those so you can teach me how to program it and set it up.  Very cool stuff!

-Tommy

jseipp

« Reply #3 on: 7 Feb 2016, 11:06 pm »
I'm envious of your gathering -- I'm sure it was a great time.

I'm also very interested in the Raspberry Pi streaming route.  I've seen very good sources of information online, but haven't yet tinkered.  I hear that the sound can be top notch -- could you share your experience, for those who couldn't make it?

Thanks!!

mfsoa

« Reply #4 on: 8 Feb 2016, 12:15 am »
I'm the guy who brought the Pi. I have been using it as a Squeezebox emulator, replacing a SBox Touch, since Christmas.  It runs the program piCorePlayer and therefore uses Logitech Media Server on the server PC.  I had it hooked up to a laptop/external USB drive which is not my usual configuration but turned out to be surprisingly portable by using a router connected to both the PC and the Pi.

At first we thought we might have had some technical glitches w/ the setup buy they turned out not to be Pi related, but just the kind of things you get when slapping together gear w/ unknown input sensitivities and other possible pre-production quirks.

I apologize if the above is either over your head or already painfully obvious to you - I don't know your level of familiarity w/ the topic.

I know basically nothing about Linux and was able to get the setup running w/ no problems. I would be more than happy to answer any questions you might have (that I know the answer to!) but maybe off-line or we could set up another thread on T's circle - I know he's interested in this as well. The concept fits well with Tommy's bang for buck, make use of available tech approach.

So far my experience is limited to the Logitech Media Server/piCorePlayer environment. There is sooo  much more to do w/ the Pi, for example Volumio, Moode, HQPlaer NAA to give you a few weeks of googling!

Let me know if I can help in any way - For all I know you already know more about this than I do!!  :thumb:

-Mike

jseipp

« Reply #5 on: 8 Feb 2016, 12:38 am »
Thanks much for the reply -- I most certainly do not know as much about this stuff as do you!  I don't even know enough to have any specific questions as yet, other than the basic, "How's it sound?"

As I mentioned, I've seen some information online that makes it seem eminently doable.  I think a new thread on the DAC circle might be very instructive not only for me, but potentially for others who might want to dip a toe in, and it would be very cool to have a solution that would mate well with the intentional simplicity of the DAC DAC, when its time comes.

I've been checking things out over at HIFiBerry -- makes it all look reasonably simple.  That's pretty much the extent of my research.  Any advice/guides/builds you have to share would be awesome, if you would be so generous. 

I'll be looking for a thread, should you feel like sharing and get the time to put something together.  Thanks a bunch!! :thumb: 

fiveoclockfriday

« Reply #6 on: 8 Feb 2016, 01:38 am »
Not to hijack the thread - but I have a Pi, and I have both the Hifiberry Digi+ (which outputs a clean digital signal) and the IQAudio Pi Dac+ (which outputs RCA) -- they're 2 different plug in cards, I don't use them simultaneously.

I just got a pair of in-line Maraschinos, like 2 days ago. For the hell of it I plugged them straight into my Pi, which has the DAC+ installed, since I don't have a traditional DAC/preamp setup at the moment. The Dac+ outputs 2v RMS, which is a little lower than the Maraschinos want, but not by much I don't think. The Maraschinos are powering Kef LS50s. 

I've been blown away by the results. Full review forthcoming sometime, but this seemingly silly little setup sounds insanely good. I've had integrateds from Marantz, Rega, Nuforce, and Yamaha - and DACs from Arcam, Rega, and Metrum - I swear this combo bests anything I've heard in my system. I'd still love to use balanced outs, but at this point I'm re-evaluating even setting up a preamp and or DAC. The convenience factor is through the roof too - I love not having to worry about warming up the amps, and the fact that they just auto standby is wonderful.

Great stuff Tommy!

- Eric B.
« Last Edit: 8 Feb 2016, 02:07 pm by fiveoclockfriday »

jseipp

« Reply #7 on: 8 Feb 2016, 01:58 am »
Congratulations on the Maraschinos and thanks for chiming in -- sounds like we all have lots to talk about! :D

G Georgopoulos

• Restricted
« Reply #8 on: 8 Feb 2016, 02:21 am »
noun
a strong, sweet liqueur made from small black Dalmatian cherries.
"add brandy or maraschino if required"

cherry amps, maraschino amps,etc...now i know Tommy's secret... :lol:

AmpDesigner333

• Industry Participant
  • Detailed AND Musical
« Reply #9 on: 10 Feb 2016, 03:55 pm »
Raspberry Pi thread started by Mike:
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=140786.0