DIY phono stage

Wardsweb

DIY phono stage
« on: 29 May 2015, 01:54 am »
Here is my latest scratch built project. A three gain stage with a passive RIAA phono preamp. Running Gold Lion for now. Telefunkins on the way.

Wardsweb

Re: DIY phono stage
« Reply #1 on: 29 May 2015, 01:54 am »
Here is the underside with all the fun bits.

TrungT

« Reply #2 on: 29 May 2015, 02:34 am »
Very nice build, thanks for sharing.  :thumb:

Davey

« Reply #3 on: 29 May 2015, 02:37 am »
Very nice build, thanks for sharing.  :thumb:

+1.  Very cool.

Dave.

tull skull

• I can't send hare in search of anything!
« Reply #4 on: 29 May 2015, 04:05 am »
That looks fantastic! Would you mind telling us more about it?

bacobits1

« Reply #5 on: 29 May 2015, 10:31 am »
Yes, very nice!!!

Nick77

« Reply #6 on: 29 May 2015, 11:01 am »
Wow! Very impressive build. Meticulous layout.  :thumb:

poseidonsvoice

• Science is not a democracy - Earl Geddes
    • 2 channel/7 channel setup
« Reply #7 on: 29 May 2015, 11:47 am »
Better than OEM's! Great work!

Best,
Anand.

sunnydaze

« Reply #8 on: 29 May 2015, 11:51 am »
Very nice indeed!    :thumb:

Is that a volume pot?

I see you own a JM Tercel phono stage.  After you log some hours, I wouldn't mind hearing how your DIY stacks up to the Tercel.......which I use and think is a really excellent unit.

Wardsweb

« Reply #9 on: 29 May 2015, 12:50 pm »
Very nice indeed!    :thumb:

Is that a volume pot?

I see you own a JM Tercel phono stage.  After you log some hours, I wouldn't mind hearing how your DIY stacks up to the Tercel.......which I use and think is a really excellent unit.

The chassis was originally designed as a preamp. I used an Alps rotary on/off switch in place of a volume pot.

I really need to update my profile (edit: systems updated). I loved my Tercel and regret having sold it. When I wanted to buy another, they were no longer in production. I contacted Mark Deneed with Juicy Music and he was gracious enough to send me the schematic. So, this is basically a scratch built Tercel; slightly modified for my use.

sunnydaze

« Reply #10 on: 30 May 2015, 01:36 pm »
The chassis was originally designed as a preamp. I used an Alps rotary on/off switch in place of a volume pot.

I really need to update my profile (edit: systems updated). I loved my Tercel and regret having sold it. When I wanted to buy another, they were no longer in production. I contacted Mark Deneed with Juicy Music and he was gracious enough to send me the schematic. So, this is basically a scratch built Tercel; slightly modified for my use.

Interesting......we've both experienced the same JM seller's remorse.  And I've heard similar stories from other owners.

Years ago I bought one of the original Blueberry Extreme preamps that Mark offered at introductory pricing.  Owned it for a few years.....loved it.....thought I could do better (of course!    :roll:)......sold it.......regretted it.

I just never could find another pre that gave the same natural tone, liquid musicality and immersive / engaging character that the BB brought.   Not at the price where I was shopping, and even higher.  But I did eventually find a used BB Extreme (v2) and bought it.  Still use it.

I bought the Tercel (used) when I was between the two Blueberrys.  Still have it.  It's too good to sell.  Not at the deflated price it would get now.

As it burns in, I'd love to hear further reports on your Tercel clone.  Maybe I'll commission you to build me one!    :thumb:

poseidonsvoice

• Science is not a democracy - Earl Geddes
    • 2 channel/7 channel setup
« Reply #11 on: 30 May 2015, 02:10 pm »
Looks like Mr. Deneen is still somewhat active: http://www.juicymusicaudio.com/JuicyMusicAudio/Turning_the_lights_out_web_site.html

Best,
Anand.

sunnydaze

« Reply #12 on: 30 May 2015, 08:08 pm »

Yes he is.  I just had his full blown mod / upgrade package done to my Blueberry preamp.   I kept the tube rectifier as I didn't wanna chance losing the juicy goodness by going with SS.

Mark is extremely professional, very easy to deal with, and real nice guy to boot!    :thumb: