GIK 244 Painting ?

Wig

GIK 244 Painting ?
« on: 5 Oct 2014, 02:22 am »
Guys,

Just curious if the 244 can be painted and what type of paint? Possibly so basic art

Thanks,
Wig

Photon46

Re: GIK 244 Painting ?
« Reply #1 on: 5 Oct 2014, 12:11 pm »
I'm sure it could be painted, but whether it's advisable is a different story. How you painted it and what kind of paint you used would have varying effects on altering the stock units absorption characteristics. A heavy coat of acrylic paint would completely alter the absorption and reflection of the acoustic cloth covering the 244.  You'd probably render the unit near useless if you completely covered the cloth with a paint the viscosity of interior latex. A carefully applied minimal and wispy "dry brush" painting done like a Chinese or Japanese sumi ink drawing using an artists acrylic paint would probably have minimal effect (it would have to just sit on the top surface of the cloth and not penetrate it deeply.) If you removed the cloth and painted it with a highly diluted acrylic that behaved more like a watercolor, you'd alter the absorption/reflection to some degree. How much alteration would depend on how much paint remained in the fabric after it dried.

I'd never chance it myself. If I wanted to have wall art combined with the traps, I'd just start over again with digitally printed versions. Then you know they'd be working correctly as intended.

jimtranr

« Reply #2 on: 5 Oct 2014, 05:59 pm »
I'd never chance it myself. If I wanted to have wall art combined with the traps, I'd just start over again with digitally printed versions. Then you know they'd be working correctly as intended.

+1

Glenn Kuras

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #3 on: 22 Oct 2014, 12:40 pm »
Sorry guys I have been out for a bit due to surgery.

I would not recommend painting the fronts for the reasons Photon46 gave.

Guy 13

« Reply #4 on: 22 Oct 2014, 01:08 pm »
Sorry guys I have been out for a bit due to surgery.

I would not recommend painting the fronts for the reasons Photon46 gave.

Hi Glenn.
I've seen on the Internet one of your competitor that offer painted absorbers,
does that mean that his products would be less absorbent than yours?

Guy 13
I hope you are recuperating well from your surgery.

sts9fan

« Reply #5 on: 22 Oct 2014, 02:17 pm »
I would use thick paint with primer built in. 

Glenn Kuras

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #6 on: 27 Oct 2014, 02:46 pm »
Hi Glenn.
I've seen on the Internet one of your competitor that offer painted absorbers,
does that mean that his products would be less absorbent than yours?

Guy 13
I hope you are recuperating well from your surgery.

Paint is going to clog up the fabric or need to use fabric that is tightly weaved. Ether way it is going to block the sound from coming into the panel. We also do art panels but use a process called dye sublimation. You can read more about it here.
http://www.gikacoustics.com/product/gik-artpanel-acoustic-panels/

Wig

« Reply #7 on: 27 Oct 2014, 04:29 pm »
Glenn,

I've already been in contact with Christina and will go the Art Panel route after we move into our home

Thanks,
Wig :thumb: