jRiver 20

ted_b

• Volunteer
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
Re: jRiver 20
« Reply #80 on: 16 Oct 2014, 05:22 pm »
JRMC 20 just released their 20.0.25 version and it includes a full function WDM driver!  That means you can now make JRiver your default Windows sound driver and have everything (read Spotify, Netflix, Youtube, etc) go through JRIver, and use all its DSP, flexibility, etc.  VERY cool.  Streaming just became way better.

Nick77

« Reply #81 on: 16 Oct 2014, 06:37 pm »
JRMC 20 just released their 20.0.25 version and it includes a full function WDM driver!  That means you can now make JRiver your default Windows sound driver and have everything (read Spotify, Netflix, Youtube, etc) go through JRIver, and use all its DSP, flexibility, etc.  VERY cool.  Streaming just became way better.

Thats a great feature, Ted did you notice an upgrade in sonic's with 20?

ted_b

• Volunteer
« Reply #82 on: 16 Oct 2014, 07:40 pm »
No, not really.

k6davis

« Reply #83 on: 16 Oct 2014, 08:52 pm »
I didn't see where they promised any upgrade in sonics with Media Center 20.

But it should be noted that, somewhat unusually, their version numbers do not generally indicate a major upgrade over the previous version. Rather, they improve the software continuously and at no charge to existing users. Then, periodically (something like annually), they increment the version number and charge a modest upgrade fee. It's a very reasonable model - a bit like a subscription that you're not forced to pay. Based of the feedback on their forum, most JRiver users seem to feel that they get outstanding value with the app and this arrangement.

So my (long winded) point is that a sonic (or any other significant) upgrade may happen at any time - unrelated to the version number. This major new functionality with the WDM driver is a perfect case in point. Media Center 20 didn't have that when it was released a few months ago.

richidoo

« Reply #84 on: 18 Oct 2014, 06:07 pm »
Is a Celeron J1900 processor enough speed for JRiver, to run convolution with 3way stereo speaker crossovers and EQ but no video?  It is 2.4Ghz, quad core, 1333MHz memory bus. Only $75 with motherboard!

I always thought of Celeron as the cheapo chip for grandmas that only send 2 emails a year and don't know or care about speed. But even the most budget chips nowadays are pretty strong performers.

I read this post yesterday got me thinking that maybe J1900 Celeron would be adequate for my needs, but I'd appreciate some real world advice, as this will be my first PC build. All the nomenclature and options are confusing! 
Thanks!
Rich

*Scotty*

« Reply #85 on: 18 Oct 2014, 08:00 pm »
Rich here are the minimum hardware requirements from jRiver,
Hardware Requirements (minimum)
600 MHz Pentium
512 MB RAM
60 MB Free hard drive space
Sound card
Video card
Microsoft Internet Explorer I.E. 5.0 or above
Internet connection (recommended).
Hope this helps.
Scotty

richidoo

« Reply #86 on: 18 Oct 2014, 09:11 pm »
Thanks Scotty
I have that much already, but I think it's not enough for convolution.  Haven't even tried it yet though!

The other (major) thing about J1900 is fanless.

*Scotty*

« Reply #87 on: 18 Oct 2014, 09:53 pm »
You will probably have to go to the jRiver forum and pose the questions about convolution applications.
That sounds like something that will require more than the bare minimum amount of
hardware.
Scotty

Big Red Machine

« Reply #88 on: 22 Oct 2014, 01:27 pm »
News Flash.  I think my hang/crash JRMC 20 issues are over.  I have to give a big thank you to Steve (aka srb) who helped me get it sorted out, along with an extensive walk through of the JRMC features.  Turns out the problem was in the Windows Defender granting access to the Synology NAS.  Once we set up a few different program and folder exceptions for WD to allow, it has work flawlessly.

Many thanks to you Steve!!!

Kenreau

For some reason I am having hang and crash issues as well as of last night.  After a few minutes of a fresh track is starts to stutter and sometimes completely locks up.  I made no changes prior to this session.  So I tried adjusting the buffer to make it longer and I thought it helped but just delayed it from occuring.  If I pause it continues to stutter.  If I stop and then hit play it starts out clean and then starts stuttering eventually.

I have no external virus software loaded on my Windows 8.1 MS-1 so maybe I am getting a similar Defender (if I have it) issue that needs looking into.  Kinda sucks when you want to have a clean session that this creeps up out of nowhere.

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #89 on: 22 Oct 2014, 01:59 pm »
BRM,
The MS-2 you have was running MS Defender when it was shipped.   I stopped using AVG with the MS-1.

Phil A

« Reply #90 on: 22 Oct 2014, 05:25 pm »
I must have one of the early MS-2s as it had AVG (the free version since basically except to upgrade JRiver, JAVA or firmware on the Meitner DAC, which I hope to get to this weekend, I don't go on the web), which I still use.  I ignore the messages to upgrade to Windows 8.1 for free (just afraid it will overwrite what was optimized when it was configured by HAL).  No problems ever with JRiver (I updated the free 2015 AVG last night but don't imagine that will change or hurt anything) for me.  I'm just wondering if the problems are due (at least for some) to Microsoft doing something when upgrading to Windows 8.1?

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #91 on: 22 Oct 2014, 05:55 pm »
Phil,
Yes you have an early MS-2. 

I could not get Windows 8 shortly after your machine so some have Windows 8.1 installed.  Like you it was an upgrade available for download as is Defender and the Defender upgrade.   I built an MS-3 prototype with Windows 8.1, upgraded Defender and Foobar2000 without any issues.  So it is possibly interaction between JRiver20, Defender and Windows 8.1.  Folks that had JRiver19 and earlier installed did not report problems.

Might be time to see if I can get Windows 10 Beta and give it a try on an MS-3 prototype.  That should lead me further down the path to insanity!   :o

Phil A

« Reply #92 on: 22 Oct 2014, 06:26 pm »
Phil,
Yes you have an early MS-2. 

I could not get Windows 8 shortly after your machine so some have Windows 8.1 installed.  Like you it was an upgrade available for download as is Defender and the Defender upgrade.   I built an MS-3 prototype with Windows 8.1, upgraded Defender and Foobar2000 without any issues.  So it is possibly interaction between JRiver20, Defender and Windows 8.1.  Folks that had JRiver19 and earlier installed did not report problems.

Might be time to see if I can get Windows 10 Beta and give it a try on an MS-3 prototype.  That should lead me further down the path to insanity!   :o

Rich, was wondering from the posts whether some just gave in to Microsoft and hit the button to upgrade to Windows 8.1 for free and something happened :lol:  Good to hear there is an MS-3 prototype as I more or less got all the systems together not that long ago (waited on my Odyssey Audio Rack for the main system - pic below) and debating what to do in one secondary system with the Teac DAC (pic below - either LMS beta or Teac Hi-Rez software player on an old laptop).  I have to say after reading posts on various forums about issues with streamers, I'm a bit hesitant to jump in.  The MS-2 and JRiver works so well with so issues and sounds great.  I just start it up with an old computer monitor I drag out from the corner of the room and then I have JRemote on the iPad mini.  And don't worry about the path to insanity, it may be closer than you think :green: :green:

Big Red Machine

« Reply #93 on: 23 Oct 2014, 01:56 am »
Okay, thought I found the issue with one of two(?) versions of MC20 had the outgoing set to blocked.  But then the skipping came back and then it went away.  Thought maybe it was one particular drive and no, that was not it.  Then it went away for an hour and I realized I was playing just FLAC.  As soon as I started into DSD again it starts to skip/stutter.

??

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #94 on: 23 Oct 2014, 02:06 am »
Memory play on?    If so turn off. If off turn on. Or buy an ARIES.  :lol:

Big Red Machine

« Reply #95 on: 6 Nov 2014, 03:59 am »
Memory play on?    If so turn off. If off turn on. Or buy an ARIES.  :lol:

Either way it pukes on DSD and DSF.  I can play 24/96 or other non-DSD with no drop outs.  I have the power settings at max performance, tried all kinds of Jriver settings and Jplay settings.  I am wondering if the computer is the issue and not the software so then a different dac may not fare any better.  Maybe there is a setting in the interface to the drives or something I am missing on the computer side?

I am conversing with Chord help and continuing to pick their minds.

*Scotty*

« Reply #96 on: 6 Nov 2014, 04:17 am »
You might try the latest build jRiver 20.0.30 This might fix the problems you are having. Down load the installer to the desktop and install to a folder labeled jRiver 20.0.30 . You can the try that version without committing to it.
http://files.jriver.com/mediacenter/channels/v20/latest/MediaCenter200030.exe
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=92936.0
Scotty

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #97 on: 6 Nov 2014, 04:37 am »
BRM,
The MS-2 meets the minimum requirements for JRiver MC20 for music playback with either a WMD or ASIO driver compatible DAC.

If you have the Red October HQ running it is beyond the system capability for Theater View or Video Playback. 

As a test, does Foobar2000 work with the DAC if you select it via the Output configuration?  It is a good check for seeing if JRiver MC20 is causing the issue.

ted_b

• Volunteer
« Reply #98 on: 6 Nov 2014, 04:48 am »
Either way it pukes on DSD and DSF.  I can play 24/96 or other non-DSD with no drop outs.  I have the power settings at max performance, tried all kinds of Jriver settings and Jplay settings.  I am wondering if the computer is the issue and not the software so then a different dac may not fare any better.  Maybe there is a setting in the interface to the drives or something I am missing on the computer side?

I am conversing with Chord help and continuing to pick their minds.

Looks like another teamviewer session is in order.  I will fix it (again!!). :)  It's likely some silly setting is overlooked.  My JRIver plays flawlessly, any sample rate to DSD256.

Big Red Machine

« Reply #99 on: 10 Nov 2014, 03:31 am »
Finally got it!  I could not make any headway through the GUI.  After I searched in the JPlay forum and came across the Clock Fix mention I could not find it but finally found myself at the set-up instructions.  Lo and behold at the bottom of the page there was an explanation of the Regedit changes that could be made.  I finally made some headway by changing the Ultrastream buffer from 200 to 3000.  I could then get 90% through a 5 minute track.  Then I upped it to 4000 and made it through!  Then another.  Then another!  But then I hit a 3 minute track of a different album and croaked halfway through. Crap.  So I upped it to 5000 and all was good.  So it looks like I have worked this out and am quite happy, albeit late on a Sunday night.

I'll reconfirm tomorrow night it still works.