Parts for HPS-938

Albert Allen

Parts for HPS-938
« on: 9 Jan 2009, 03:05 pm »
I am auditioning a pair of HPS-938's and a woofer was damaged in shipping....I figured it would be easy to get a replacement but as another member has discovered it is not that easy. I talked to someone name Albert this morning (I assume this is the Albert that folks here talk about).

Albert seemed very nice but also seemed very unsure of the supply of 8" woofers.

My fear in purchasing these speakers (and yes they do sound great even with one dead woofer) is that I will not be able to get parts for them as I am already seeing.

My Dynaudio's at $1000 less are easily serviced with parts and they have a dedicated parts staff and inventory located in the US.

I am not here to flame but I have a lot of experience with parts and service and I can tell you that a product line stands a slim chance of survival (even with a small group of  dedicated followers) if you can't get spare parts.

It is obvious that the woofer damage problem (a shock load will break the motor assembly from the basket) is not an isolated incident with just me so I think having a supply of spares (not just woofers) available here in the US is a good idea.

Albert Allen

malcolmsmith

Re: Parts for HPS-938
« Reply #1 on: 12 Jan 2009, 08:23 am »
I have also expressed my concern regarding spare parts for 938s to Albert Wu direct. I shall post a copy of his reply when received.

Albert Allen

« Reply #2 on: 13 Jan 2009, 02:04 pm »
As I am afraid it is with many things, and this instance is no exception; the more folks chime in the better our chances of getting some kind of answer. If we can't get spare parts then please just let us know.  :wink:

eddie123

« Reply #3 on: 29 Jan 2009, 06:56 pm »
Hello excuse my bad english(norway).I am very disapointed about Hyperion and i cant believe the answer i get frome Albert.

The capacitors in the crossovers to the mid/high on both speakers have been broken.The crossovers are fild with epoxy so you must change the hole crossover box.Albert said that they dont sell parts to the 938 so i must buy new speakers!!! the capacitors cost 10 dollars and Albert tell me to buy new speakers!!!
Every speaker manufactors in the world have spear parts to their speakers!!!
Then i asked if i can get drawings of the crossover so i can make new ones but they want give it to me!!!
they cost me 5000 dollars and they are 3 years oldand they cant be fixed!!!!  :nono:

malcolmsmith

« Reply #4 on: 30 Jan 2009, 11:52 am »
I contacted Alber Wu regarding my concern over back up service and part availability. His reply on 21st January was "We will do our very best to serve our customers as long as we are still in business".
I am still concerned over this issue,particularily as I live in the U.K.,And i think in view of other comments on the site we do need definate assurances on this issue.
I wonder if you Dracule would get involved and contact Albert Wu as I guess you know him better than the rest of us, and establish were we all stand regarding back up and spare parts now and in the futeure?                   
« Last Edit: 30 Jan 2009, 06:19 pm by malcolmsmith »

Albert Allen

« Reply #5 on: 11 Feb 2009, 04:37 am »
Well I think I had my final conversation with Albert Wu and although very pleasant I got no where. Here is a direct quote from Albert Wu when I asked if there was any way to get a replacement woofer....... "how much are you willing to pay" he said......I think this says it all.....

Great product and I wish them well but I don't think wishing a company well with these kind of issues will really help them much.

It has been a nice ride and I wish you all well.....................

Albert Allen

eddie123

« Reply #6 on: 11 Feb 2009, 08:20 pm »
We must contact every dealer and the magazines that have had reviews of this speakers and warn them about hyperionsound.
I have tried to get new parts for 2 months now,the same have the dealer in norway and denmark.They have broken the dealership with hyperion,also two dealers in great britain have banded hyperion.
I can now just throw 6000 dollar speakers in the trash :evil:
the hole hifi world will now about this when i am finnish with them.
I have a friend ho can write better english then my selv,he going to take care of it

Albert Allen

« Reply #7 on: 11 Feb 2009, 08:33 pm »
Are you listening Hyperion?.......in this economy these kind of comments are not a game......please don't let a great product die because of poor support!

Dracule1

• Facilitator
« Reply #8 on: 13 Feb 2009, 05:13 am »
Hi all, I have emailed Hyperion directly regarding this issue and invited them to respond on this site.  Fortunately, I have had good service and support from Albert Wu and Hyperion in the past, but my speakers have been trouble free for the past several years so I have not dealt with them recently.

Dracule1

• Facilitator
« Reply #9 on: 20 Feb 2009, 08:02 pm »
Hi all,  I got this response from Albert Wu regarding spare parts issue.

"It is true that our production has reduced for the bad times.  We are waiting for the better time for the spar part productions, since we really can’t just make few spare parts."

I'm not sure for those affected if this reply satisfies you, but Hyperion is experiencing hard times like many in this industry.

moonman

« Reply #10 on: 7 Apr 2009, 11:52 am »
Hello All,

You might want to look at the warnings I gave in my review (second take) of these speakers on 6moons.com.  I had concern about the packaging and potential shipping damage, as well as durability of the parts, given the plastic frames of the speakers.

There was also a resonance in the lower midrange/upper bass, which was excited by Leonard Cohen's voice.

I did hear their strengths, but based on the above, I was not interested in owning a pair.

Regards,
Steve Marsh
6moons.com

eddie123

« Reply #11 on: 12 May 2009, 03:34 pm »
Help :cry: i have repaird my crossover but now the tweeter in the left speaker get broken.Do anybody have a name on this tweeter ? is it make by the Hyperion or is it another brand,the diameter is 96mm.
The problem with my speaker happens when i play loud, the crossover terminals in the lower cabinet get very hot and almost melting  the plastic.
it smells like it burnd,i am using biwire cabels.

please help me anybody

Dracule1

• Facilitator
« Reply #12 on: 20 May 2009, 06:34 am »
Which speaker model do you have?  Are you sure your repair of the crossover was done correctly?  My understanding is that tweeter is Hyperion's own, but I could be wrong.  The only thing I can suggest is contact Hyperion for a tweeter replacement.  If you are the original owner who bought the Hyperions through their authorized dealer, you should not have any problem getting a replacement.  According to Albert Wu, Albert Allen did not buy his pair of speakers from an authorized dealer and thus his problem getting replacement parts.  I'm not trying to take sides here, just reporting what was said to me and Hyperion's policy, whether you like it or not.

Sorry, looks like I may have confused Albert Allen with Eddie123.
« Last Edit: 20 May 2009, 06:19 pm by Dracule1 »

eddie123

« Reply #13 on: 20 May 2009, 12:29 pm »
i have contacted them fore 3-4 months,they are bought from a aoutorized seller in norway,they have also tried but hyperion dont help me,the speakers cost me 50000.- norwegian kr(7000 dollars) :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :cry: :cry: :cry: :duh: :duh: :duh:

Dracule1

• Facilitator
« Reply #14 on: 20 May 2009, 06:05 pm »
Eddie, I have emailed Albert Wu on your behalf.  Do you have an email address?  You can PM me if you don't want to post it publically.

Wait a second...Are you the guy in Norway that Albert Wu has been talking about?  He has stated that Hyperion has never sold a pair of their speakers in Norway as there are no authorized dealers Norway.  Why don't you tell us who you purchased the speaker from so we can verify if he is an authorized dealer?

Dracule1

• Facilitator
« Reply #15 on: 22 May 2009, 03:21 am »
Eddie123, good news.  Albert Wu has informed me that they have the parts now.  He should be able to help you out.  Contact him at:  saleseast@hyperionsound.com

eddie123

« Reply #16 on: 22 May 2009, 12:39 pm »
Thank you this was beautiful news

eddie123

« Reply #17 on: 20 Jun 2009, 12:38 pm »
Hyperion promise to send parts but nothing happens!!! :evil: :evil: :roll: :roll: :x :x :cry: :cry:

SGCULTURE

« Reply #18 on: 21 Jun 2009, 02:26 pm »
Hi
I am new to this forum and have been following the dialogue due to recent interest to acquire a used 938 which is relatively good condition. The only issue is the copper horn plate which house the dome tweeter is tarnished. I have thought of replacing this and have not made much progress. Any view on this?

Cheers

eddie123

« Reply #19 on: 21 Jun 2009, 10:38 pm »
Hi
I am new to this forum and have been following the dialogue due to recent interest to acquire a used 938 which is relatively good condition. The only issue is the copper horn plate which house the dome tweeter is tarnished. I have thought of replacing this and have not made much progress. Any view on this?

Cheers
hello i first contacted hyperion for 8 months ago and still no parts!!!