Linked Events

• Capital Audiofest: 20 Feb 2016

2016 Capital Audiofest

dB Cooper

Re: 2016 Capital Audiofest
« Reply #40 on: 16 Feb 2016, 04:40 pm »
I understand why a dealer who may not be local would want to come.  But perhaps one could ask those manufacturers who sell direct - e.g. Emotiva, Axiom, etc.  I don't think it could hurt to ask.  All they can say is no.

That's what I'm saying- Ohm, for example, sells factory direct, as do more and more manufacturers, since there are fewer and fewer B&M dealers to sell through. In many cases there is no dealer to go hear these products at. Shows like CAF (or roll the dice and buy, hoping you won't want to return the item) are the only option.

SteveFord

• Volunteer
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
« Reply #41 on: 16 Feb 2016, 05:29 pm »
Hey are you the Steve ford with 4 or 5 Buels that I bought Maggy llla's from?
I still have the maggy's

Yes, that would be me.  Down to 3 Buells but up a bunch of Triumphs.
I'll make sure to hit the show this year to give the wife and myself a much needed airing out.
We're smelling a little musty.

mix4fix

• Volunteer
  • I reject your music, and substitute my own.
« Reply #42 on: 16 Feb 2016, 05:37 pm »
Unfortunately I think I will be in Iceland at that time -- family vacation.  I enjoyed it last year.  Somebody else should arrange the steak dinner out.  My 14 year old to be says we are going to check out a death metal concert in Reykjavik. :banghead: :rock:  That will be my music appreciation for the week.   :no_hear: Wink2

Good luck.  I hope the crowd is bigger and I think it will be.  Second year at the venue and canjam should bring more people in.   :thumb:

What was the name of that place again?

pelliott321

« Reply #43 on: 20 Feb 2016, 04:26 pm »

dB Cooper

« Reply #44 on: 22 Feb 2016, 02:32 am »
Glad to see Martin-Logan back. Was in their room briefly last year and had the definite feeling that the setup was sub-optimal (mainly a too-small room). Hopefully they'll have better luck this year. Also glad the headphone ballroom will be back. I usually spend most of my time there on day one, while the speaker rooms are getting "dialed in" by their exhibitors. No room issues to overcome with cans  :lol:

DTB300

« Reply #45 on: 22 Feb 2016, 01:00 pm »
Glad to see Martin-Logan back. Was in their room briefly last year and had the definite feeling that the setup was sub-optimal (mainly a too-small room).
Once they turned off the Balance Force sub in the back left corner, the sound was improved.   But yeah the room was small - reminded me of Bill Thalman's room when the show was in Silver Spring.

dB Cooper

« Reply #46 on: 22 Feb 2016, 05:03 pm »
Thanks DTB. I could tell something was amiss but wasn't there long enough to try to figure it out. Seems like planars need room to "open up", and they weren't really getting it in that space.

Roscoe Primrose

• DC Audio DIY
« Reply #47 on: 7 Mar 2016, 10:52 pm »
Thanks DTB. I could tell something was amiss but wasn't there long enough to try to figure it out. Seems like planars need room to "open up", and they weren't really getting it in that space.

Dipoles, regardless whether they're planar or not, need room to breath....

Roscoe

willsw

• Industry Participant
« Reply #48 on: 8 Mar 2016, 09:18 am »
We (Linear Tube Audio) will be there, as local manufacturers. CAF last year was the first show we ever did, and I'm looking forward to having a stronger presence this year. We'll have a table in the headphone area for our MicroZOTL2 as a headphone amp and also a room with the MicroZOTL2 as a preamp for either our ZOTL40 or ZOTL10. Still working things out as far as other components go. Hopefully we'll be able to convince David Berning to show up again.

dB Cooper

« Reply #49 on: 3 Jun 2016, 07:59 pm »
Sorry to see the ticket prices going up: Now $20/day or $30 for a "weekend pass", up from $20 for the whole weekend. Oh well, guess they had to do it.

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #50 on: 3 Jun 2016, 09:26 pm »
Hollis Audio Labs will be with GT Audioworks again this year at CAF2016.

Will be running a HAL MS-3 Music Server and dspMusik as a HiRez DAC and room and speaker correction with MathAudio Room EQ.

Bring flashdrives with music and we will playback the files from the MS-3.  There will be a CD player as last year, but Room EQ will not work with that source.  If we rip the tracks from CD to SSD, then Room EQ will work.

Hope to see folks there again this year.

craigh

« Reply #51 on: 3 Jun 2016, 09:31 pm »
Sorry to see the ticket prices going up: Now $20/day or $30 for a "weekend pass", up from $20 for the whole weekend. Oh well, guess they had to do it.
I think it was $20. a day last year also.

Letitroll98

• Facilitator
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #52 on: 3 Jun 2016, 10:23 pm »
Yes, the same as last year.  I feel that $10 or $15 a day, depending if you go either 2 or 3 days, is pretty cheap for what you get.  Of course everyone must make their own decision on what the show is worth to them.

dB Cooper

« Reply #53 on: 5 Jun 2016, 06:32 am »
It is. I was just noting the change. IIRC it was still $20 for the whole weekend last year. Under the new pricing it definitely makes sense to go all in unless you know you are making it for just one day. I'm in. Glad to see the headphone presence restored this year btw.

pelliott321

Re: 2016 Capital Audiofest One Month away
« Reply #54 on: 6 Jun 2016, 06:52 pm »
Check out the website all the info is there http://www.capitalaudiofest.com/
Fees are $20/day  $30 for weekend   Student ID $10/Day
The big news is that for the first time ever there with any HiFi show is there will be a complete system given away
check out Press Release http://www.capitalaudiofest.com/p3319.html

We could still use a couple of volunteers  working the reception desk
You get free weekend pass for fours work
message me here or at pelliott321 at yah....om

dB Cooper

« Reply #55 on: 7 Jun 2016, 12:42 am »
That's cool. Interested in hearing the Alta speakers.

Disappointed that (as of now) Salk, Van Alstine, and Philharmonic appear to be sitting this one out. Hope that changes.

Looking to check out Martin Logan again. Hope they have a better room this year. Heard them last year and although  they were very detailed, you could tell something was not quite right.

pelliott321

« Reply #56 on: 7 Jun 2016, 10:58 am »
We have reached out to Jim a couple of times but have not heard back yet. He usually decided at last minute, but he might be out of luck sine there are very few rooms left

Letitroll98

• Facilitator
  • Too loud is just right
Re: 2016 Capital Audiofest One Month away
« Reply #57 on: 7 Jun 2016, 11:23 am »
The big news is that for the first time ever there with any HiFi show is there will be a complete system given away
check out Press Release http://www.capitalaudiofest.com/p3319.html

Wow!  That's worth coming down for, Gary outdid himself this year, but it may be hard to top next year ;)

pelliott321

« Reply #58 on: 7 Jun 2016, 02:38 pm »
The official press release goes out to audio press later today, I jumped the gun and will probably pay for it down the road

Letitroll98

• Facilitator
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #59 on: 7 Jun 2016, 10:02 pm »
We won't tell.