NY Audio Show Nov 6-8 2015 Anyone Going?

rodge827

NY Audio Show Nov 6-8 2015 Anyone Going?
« on: 24 Oct 2015, 11:42 am »
New York Audio Show
Hilton Westchester Hotel,  Rye Brook,  New York
November 6-8, 2015
https://www.chestergroup.org/newyorkaudioshow/2015

I hope to be there on Friday and possibly Saturday.

Anyone else?

GT Audio Works

Re: NY Audio Show Nov 6-8 2015 Anyone Going?
« Reply #1 on: 24 Oct 2015, 12:07 pm »
I will also be there Friday and possibly Saturday
Greg

GT Audio Works

« Reply #2 on: 7 Nov 2015, 01:48 pm »
I visited the NY show yesterday (only an hour from me)  during trade/press hours to get a jump on the general public and was able to get a listen to all the rooms.

Bad news...very small exhibitor turnout.
Good news...lots of show attendees..especially for a Friday.

Some very good sounding rooms

Volti, Rossi, TWL..WOW !!!  King of realistic playback levels, you want to hear a drum kit at full tilt on a live recording ?? Look no further.

Lawrence Audio, Rowland...Refined, spacious, transparent, extended, balanced.
One of my favorites.

Technics small system...The rule of diminishing returns favors this $5k system !! Including small stand mounded concentric driver 2 way speakers.
Looking for high end on a budget ?   Look no further.

I will be back today

Greg

Gopher

« Reply #3 on: 7 Nov 2015, 02:01 pm »
How small is very small turnout?  I was chewing on heading in for the day today or tomorrow, but it sounds like it's dead? 

GT Audio Works

« Reply #4 on: 7 Nov 2015, 02:16 pm »
Not exactly sure of the number of rooms, maybe 25 ?
Still worth the trip out in my opinion.

GT Audio Works

« Reply #5 on: 8 Nov 2015, 06:10 pm »
Day two of the show not as much traffic as I would have expected.
The parking lot was bursting at the seems, only because of 4 or 5 events at the hotel that day.

Some great sounds continued...

Tavish Designs...A hybrid tube front end ss/ output integrated in a package reminiscent of a Sony integrated for around $2500....don't quote me on the price.
Very promising sound, he was using Maggie 3.7i speakers which the amp handled easily. my friend Paul put on a copy of Don Cherry
El Corazon just beautiful.

Wes Bender Studios...all Gamut system, smaller stand mounted 2 way speakers ....expensive but very good sound.
The audiophile disk "Chasing the Dragon" I played had all the proper mix of resonance, rosin and top end of stringed instruments on this lovely recorded CD.
Same with voice...the organ Sorpano piece rendered her voice fully in front of me with a wonderful balance.   
Wes borrowed my CD Friday and Saturday... I had to pry it out of his hands when I wanted to leave the show yesterday !!

Charney Audio....A Lowther single full range driver based Tractrix horn system.  I have not heard such a system before and have been forewarned as to the shouty nature of the Lowther based drivers. None heard here, just smooth easy dynamic, coherent, point source system that sounded fine sitting, standing or anywhere else you happened to be.

Care audio Room...Devialet Silver Phantom speakers.
I think I have seen the death of the Audiophile system.
These radical thinking mass produced engineering marvels are not perfect. But...Like the pc that obsolesced such a narrow focus use machine as the typewriter before it. I believe devices such as these will make the expensive, large, single minded focus of an audiophile system a passing fad as recognized by history.
Understand this is a gen one device, think how far computers have come in so little time. It may be a Chihuahua nipping at the heels of high end audio now...but watch out for the doberman that may grow from its humble beginnings.
I am not sure of the resolution of the source files I was hearing, because to my ears as impressive as it sounded,, first blush anyway...it did not have the resolution of a good high end system.
What it did do... to my ears was break down barriers of what music reproduction should be.
Let me forewarn you, there will be audiophiles who will dismiss these on first listen, and I agree to a point, I will not be dumping my hifi anytime soon to buy a pair of these. BUT...to the music lover non audiophile who wants something better that a Bose radio and has the means, jump right in and bask in the music !!!
What it did well for the individual who is not obsessed with picking apart musical details was that it got your attention,  it immediately drew you in to the music. These things did not discriminate, they played all genre of music..including hip hop with equal aplomb. Compact, user friendly, easy connectivity to all your devices, and within financial reach of a serious music lovers interested in having good music in their home (or anywhere for that matter) and understand there are other avenues out there besides the mass market drek at Best Buy.

Lets face it, no audiophile is going to be converted  and sell his system for one of these, but who knows..a few years from now, the evolution of a product like this could lead to a much larger percentage of the population enjoying really good music reproduction...which in turn may spark an interest by younger people in this sinking ship we call high end audio.
And that cant be a bad thing.

I will be contacting Care Audio soon to demo a pair under better circumstances.

more to come...greg
« Last Edit: 8 Nov 2015, 09:45 pm by GT Audio Works »

dex67

« Reply #6 on: 8 Nov 2015, 10:08 pm »
Fully agree with Greg!!! Just came back from the show...first thing that impressed me was the entry level Technics stuff...int amp, network player, CD player, and monitors for $5500, but if purchased at the show $4400...that little system can pump some impressive bass and holographic imaging...

Volti speakers room...great full range sound...Lawrence Double Bass with $39k Rowland int sounded great too...

Not too impressed with GamuT RS3 monitors...way overpriced ($20k) when compared with other speakers...Triangle had some pleasant sound...

Very small show...big players like Focal, Vandersteen, Wilson, etc were missing...

Anyway, I'm getting myself some of that beautiful Technics gear...:)

GT Audio Works

« Reply #7 on: 8 Nov 2015, 10:51 pm »
I should stipulate as far as judging rooms, particularly speakers..I find the first listen may not impress or may overly impress.
But going back to each room a number of times and demoing a variety of material you can get an idea of the strengths and weaknesses of each.
Speakers are tools, some a wider range of use than others.
Its up to the individual to decide which ones meet their particular need.

Me ? I want it all and for not a lot of $$.
Good luck I tell myself !!

saisunil

« Reply #8 on: 11 Nov 2015, 09:48 pm »
Thanks for your kind words Greg. It is always great to see you. You are an honest person.

People were shocked how Phantom reproduced Eagles or Hotel California or Ashanti or Jazz Riffs. We were playing Berlioz Symphony at one point and I switched to another track, one of the guy was so upset and we switched back to classical, until the track finished playing. He was truly enjoying classical music and he is an audiophile.

Phantom is a very easy recommendation for a second or third system in any audiophile's home / office. I just sold one unit to an individual yesterday who had $3000 budget and the guy could not be happier with his Phantom as his main system. The cool thing is that a person can buy one and then add another later on for imaging and output.

We were playing Reel to Reel with Ella and her voice just melted us through crossover-less Bastanis Open Baffle as we watched the falling golden leaves outside the window. A few minutes later, we switched to Phantom and it was enjoyable in its own ways. No, it did not have the transparency, palpability and nuance of the larger system but when you look at the size and price - one mentally adjusts expectations and that is where Phantom surprises you with prodigious and tight bass!

Cheers
Sunil

saisunil

« Reply #9 on: 11 Nov 2015, 10:17 pm »
In terms of number of people attending this show - this show was a huge success for us. Sunday afternoon was quite dead and some periods on Saturday was (thankfully slow). I do not know how many people cam through our room but that number would be north of 700 and several people came multiple times comparing the sound of room with others.

We were gratified to hear people saying "best sound", "most natural sound", "most musical" or just being shocked with Bass from Phantoms or utter transparency of Ella's voice through Reel.

Chester group made mistakes last year but they more than made up for it through their stellar service.

Cheers
Sunil

a.wayne

« Reply #10 on: 11 Nov 2015, 10:59 pm »
Good stuff guys , maybe some pics next year  .......  :)

Triode Pete

• Industry Contributor
  • www.TriodeWireLabs.com
    • Triode Wire Labs - Affordable Audiophile Cables
« Reply #11 on: 12 Nov 2015, 01:16 am »
I visited the NY show yesterday (only an hour from me)  during trade/press hours to get a jump on the general public and was able to get a listen to all the rooms.

Bad news...very small exhibitor turnout.
Good news...lots of show attendees..especially for a Friday.

Some very good sounding rooms

Volti, Rossi, TWL..WOW !!!  King of realistic playback levels, you want to hear a drum kit at full tilt on a live recording ?? Look no further.

I will be back today

Greg

Hey Greg,
Nice to see you both Friday & Saturday... We were "jam-packed" all 3 days!  :thumb:

I hoped you enjoyed your libation(s)!  :beer:

Cheers,
Pete

SET Man

« Reply #12 on: 12 Nov 2015, 02:11 am »
Hey!

Well, made it to the show on Saturday thanks to fellow AC member SunnyDay who hitched a ride with, thanks Michael  :D

As for the show this year. I was surprised that it was in Weschester and not in the city like the past years. Good thing Michael offered a ride there otherwise I wouldn't have gone to the show this year. Compared to last year it was pretty much empty. Not many people or exhibitors. I guess it is just too far from the city.

Anyway, as usual I snapped some pics while I was there. Here are some...

Madera Handcrafted. New York Audio Show 2015 by Badeephol Inpirom, on Flickr

Wes Bender Studio. New York Audio Show 2015 by Badeephol Inpirom, on Flickr

Audio Note UK. New York Audio Show 2015 by Badeephol Inpirom, on Flickr

Charney Audio. New York Audio Show 2015 by Badeephol Inpirom, on Flickr

Technics / Adirondack Audio. New York Audio Show 2015 by Badeephol Inpirom, on Flickr

Well, not much this year since there weren't much to see there.  :? Anyway, will write a bit more next time, gotta go for now.

For more pics from this show click link on link below...

https://flic.kr/s/aHskpbeKzK

Take care,
Buddy

PS

I thought I was posting on the "Audio Show" Circle. Look like nobody started the one on the "Audio Show" Circle yet.  :slap:

rodge827

« Reply #13 on: 12 Nov 2015, 04:19 am »
Buddy, Great Pics!  :thumb:

Thanks

Triode Pete

• Industry Contributor
  • www.TriodeWireLabs.com
    • Triode Wire Labs - Affordable Audiophile Cables
« Reply #14 on: 12 Nov 2015, 02:25 pm »

Thanks

+1, Buddy!

Rodge827 - Nice to meet you at the show!

Cheers,
Pete

rodge827

« Reply #15 on: 12 Nov 2015, 11:39 pm »
Great to meet you to Pete.  :thumb:
This was my first show and I had a great time!
Hope to make it to RMAF next fall.  :D

a.wayne

« Reply #16 on: 13 Nov 2015, 12:31 am »
Damn, make me a liar .......... :)     Tks for the pics ............ :thumb:

SET Man

« Reply #17 on: 13 Nov 2015, 12:59 am »

Thanks

+1, Buddy!

Rodge827 - Nice to meet you at the show!

Cheers,
Pete

Hey!

Thanks guys. I repost my post in the "Show Circle" 

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=138630.msg1476116#new

Will write more on there later when I have time.

Take care,
Buddy