Using the Felicia conditioner to increase output voltage?

TimS

Would it be possible to use the Felicia conditioner design (below) to increase the output voltage of T2's primary by having different voltage windings (of the back to back secondary's) and also keep the benefits of a balanced power supply?

For example; from the schematic above, the back to back low voltage secondary windings of T1 and T2 would be say 20 Volts and 18 Volts respectively which should increase the output voltage of T2's primary?
 Is this possible? Any safety issues?

Folsom

Re: Using the Felicia conditioner to increase output voltage?
« Reply #1 on: 22 Nov 2014, 12:51 am »
Do you mean to directly feed rectifiers in a component of sorts? How much voltage?

Occam

« Reply #2 on: 22 Nov 2014, 03:53 am »
Hi Tim,

If you're talking about powering a single source component, maybe 60watts consumption  with 2 175va transformers, its workable. Not only will dissimilar secondary voltages allow you adjust output voltage, but the actual power draw will also radically effect output voltage because of a transformers 'regulation' which is related to its output impedance. And when one puts 2 transformers in series, its multimplicative. A transformer with 10% regulation is going to be 110% of its rated secondary voltage at no load. Put 2 in series, and you've got 21% regulation. Use one of the transformers, arse backwards, and its worse.
I honestly cannot recommend implementing a Felicia, specifically to either adjust voltage or for its power conditioning abilities. The potential benefits of balanced/technical power is minimal unless you're powering your whole system with it. The Felix is a far better power conditions, and is far easier and less expensive to build.
If you have access to multiple surplus power transformers of the same type and VA, but with differing secondary voltages, you could juggle one of  the transformer's secondarys voltage, as well as the power draw, to get a specific step up or down at a specific power draw.

Sorry, but in my opinion, its not worth the effort.

Regards,
Paul

TimS

« Reply #3 on: 22 Nov 2014, 05:21 am »
Thanks for your reply - looks like any benefits using the Felicia are minimal for the effort involved.
I still need a small increase in output voltage with the transformer(s) I've got so I will probably try this design below to boost the voltage.

Hi Tim,

If you're talking about powering a single source component, maybe 60watts consumption  with 2 175va transformers, its workable. Not only will dissimilar secondary voltages allow you adjust output voltage, but the actual power draw will also radically effect output voltage because of a transformers 'regulation' which is related to its output impedance. And when one puts 2 transformers in series, its multimplicative. A transformer with 10% regulation is going to be 110% of its rated secondary voltage at no load. Put 2 in series, and you've got 21% regulation. Use one of the transformers, arse backwards, and its worse.
I honestly cannot recommend implementing a Felicia, specifically to either adjust voltage or for its power conditioning abilities. The potential benefits of balanced/technical power is minimal unless you're powering your whole system with it. The Felix is a far better power conditions, and is far easier and less expensive to build.
If you have access to multiple surplus power transformers of the same type and VA, but with differing secondary voltages, you could juggle one of  the transformer's secondarys voltage, as well as the power draw, to get a specific step up or down at a specific power draw.

Sorry, but in my opinion, its not worth the effort.

Regards,
Paul

Occam

« Reply #4 on: 22 Nov 2014, 03:07 pm »
Tim, Wiring a transformer as buck/boot autotransformer is and excellent solution. -Paul

Speedskater

• Kevin
« Reply #5 on: 23 Nov 2014, 12:31 am »
Much more on buck/boot autotransformers from Rod Elliott.

http://sound.westhost.com/articles/buck-xfmr.htm

Also note that an autotransformer does not add any isolation to the circuit, so be careful.