HW-19 and Scout

rcag_ils

HW-19 and Scout
« on: 14 Nov 2014, 08:25 pm »
Has anyone done a comparison of the two? I am upgrading my Junior to a III. Thanks

Letitroll98

• Volunteer
  • Too loud is just right
Re: HW-19 and Scout
« Reply #1 on: 15 Nov 2014, 12:32 am »
I owned the Junior with MkIII upgrades and have heard the original Scout, but not side by side.  The HW19Jr is a marvelous table with the upgrades, I had a Rega RB300 arm mounted.  The sound was a bit darker than what I remembered from the Scout.  The unipivot arm just recovers more of the little inner details that light up the reproduction.  On the low end I think the Jr has it over the Scout, at least with the MkIII platter.  I loved my VPI and would be very happy with another one, but if I was presented with both, price not a factor, I would pick the Scout.  But I'm assuming the price difference does matter and I'd be very happy with the Jr MkIII at 1/3 or 1/4 the price, if that makes sense.

rcag_ils

« Reply #2 on: 15 Nov 2014, 12:44 am »
Well. the used HW-19 junior is not exactly 1/3 or 1/4 the price of the Scout nowadays, it's more like 3/8. Is the spring suspension superior to the non-spring? My HW-19 Jr still in the box, never been set up. And I have all the parts to convert it to a MKII except the two piece acrylic plinth and armboard.

Letitroll98

• Volunteer
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #3 on: 15 Nov 2014, 01:20 am »
Generally the first mod to a HW19 is to disable the springs, either by stuffing them with foam swim noodles or by replacing them with various pucks.  The two piece acrylic plinth is far superior to the particle board one on the Jr, but AFAIK is not a drop in replacement.  I don't think the pucks from the Jr are sized to the acrylic plinth, or vice versa.  But no, the springs aren't an automatic improvement.  And springs need adjustment with the change of seasons if you live in a place where that happens, at least to be at their optimum performance level.

No disrespect meant, I think I know the answer already, but if you have a HW19Jr with upgrades, for free, why would you want a comparison to the Scout.  My first assumption would be you can move the Jr as is and not have perform the upgrades, then buy a Scout and spend your set up time getting that going.  Of course I'd like to hear the reason from you rather than guess.  You really can't be wrong here, both are great tables at their price levels.

neobop

• BIRD LIVES
« Reply #4 on: 15 Nov 2014, 09:22 am »
I owned the Junior with MkIII upgrades and have heard the original Scout, but not side by side.  The HW19Jr is a marvelous table with the upgrades, I had a Rega RB300 arm mounted.  The sound was a bit darker than what I remembered from the Scout.  The unipivot arm just recovers more of the little inner details that light up the reproduction.  On the low end I think the Jr has it over the Scout, at least with the MkIII platter.  I loved my VPI and would be very happy with another one, but if I was presented with both, price not a factor, I would pick the Scout.  But I'm assuming the price difference does matter and I'd be very happy with the Jr MkIII at 1/3 or 1/4 the price, if that makes sense.

The arm on the Jr wasn't mentioned.  What if it's equal to the unipivot on your Scout?
neo

Wayner

« Reply #5 on: 15 Nov 2014, 01:51 pm »
I have the Jr. from the mid nineties. It has the MDF plinth, but that sits on Sorbothane pucks as the suspension, not springs. I also have the AudioQuest PT-6 tonearm which is a Jelco. I have done some simple mods to it (it doesn't require much) like a mat (which I designed) and a micro dot of plasticlay right on the cartridge. The table is very capable and is one of my favorites here, just as it is.

Letitroll98

• Volunteer
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #6 on: 15 Nov 2014, 02:19 pm »
The arm on the Jr wasn't mentioned.  What if it's equal to the unipivot on your Scout?
neo

I mentioned in the post that the arm was a Rega RB300.  Which brings up an interesting question anyway.  Someone on the planet somewhere has mounted a JWM arm on a HW19Jr, I wonder what it would sound like.  It's not an arm meant for suspended tables, but it would work for a Jr.  Although the Rega is a very nice arm and a great match for the Jr, I always thought about upgrading to a 9" JWM.

neobop

• BIRD LIVES
« Reply #7 on: 15 Nov 2014, 02:41 pm »
I meant the arm on the OP's Jr. is unknown.   If the upgraded Jr. and a Scout have the same arm?

The platter might have a lot to do with it. 

Without knowing OP arm and/or arm options, a comparison using 2 different arms is less than definitive.

Scout has a moveable motor?  allows adjustment of belt tension or string/tape drive. 
Jr. has a more substantial plinth - more rigid?  What about the main bearing?

I'm not offering any answers here, just a few considerations.
neo

rcag_ils

« Reply #8 on: 15 Nov 2014, 03:27 pm »
Ok, here's the situation, let's start over....

1. I have a beautiful stock 19 Jr that came with two platters, an acrylic one, and a lead filled one (no cork at the bottom, so I don't know if it's a MKII, MKIII, or MK4.)

2. It has a PT-6 arm.

3. I've been always impressed by the MKIII and the MK4 when I was a young lad, so I bought an extra bearing for the lead filled platter (so I can switch the platters at will).

4. I bought a set of MKIII/MK4 springs.

5. This outfit sells a MK4 upgrade kit, basically it's a Scout aluminum platter and bearing, drops into your HW-19 Jr base.

Now, since I already spent the money on the springs and bearing for the extra lead filled platter, which supposed to make the Jr better. I just want to find out if it will really make the Jr better before I spend more time and money on it.

sturgus

« Reply #9 on: 16 Nov 2014, 04:38 am »
Try and contact markd51. He post at Audiogon and Audiokarma, sometimes here. He has done what you are trying, and is always very helpful. I think he has step by step pic's for diy.
http://forum.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/fr.pl?eanlg&1334928201&openfrom&1&4#1

If it were me I would do the Mk3 platter. I think the Mk3 platter is as good or better than the Scout platter.  As far as springs they will not work on the Jr. deck. The AQ arm is a good arm, it holds it's own. Use the arm, put on a nice cartridge and enjoy.
I would also look at getting an used SDS or a PLC. This will make a big difference. This may also be a good option if you have a lower wattage motor.
http://www.phoenix-engr.com/#!/

These are just a few cartridges that will work with that arm.
http://www.lpgear.com/category/NAGAOKACART.html
http://www.lpgear.com/product/ATC01.html
http://www.lpgear.com/category/GOLDCART.html

rcag_ils

« Reply #10 on: 16 Nov 2014, 08:38 pm »
Thanks for reply, sturgus. The cost of a fully modified HW-19 Jr is almost as much as a new Scout depending on the tonearm, but the HW-19 Jr has more "fun factor", that's what HIFI's all about. I will pursue the HW-19 path.

orthobiz

« Reply #11 on: 20 Nov 2014, 01:43 am »
5. This outfit sells a MK4 upgrade kit, basically it's a Scout aluminum platter and bearing, drops into your HW-19 Jr base.

What outfit is this?

Paul

rcag_ils

« Reply #12 on: 22 Nov 2014, 09:47 pm »
Music Direct or something like this...Paul, sorry for the late response.

orthobiz

« Reply #13 on: 23 Nov 2014, 02:24 am »
Music Direct or something like this...Paul, sorry for the late response.

No problem, thanks!

Paul