Where will speaker design go in the next 10 or 20 years?

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
Re: Where will speaker design go in the next 10 or 20 years?
« Reply #20 on: 11 Sep 2017, 10:40 pm »
Beryllium walls...  :green:

OzarkTom

« Reply #21 on: 11 Sep 2017, 10:58 pm »
I am afraid the younger generations will dictate this, headphones and virtual reality.

I am sure holograms will be a part of it. You can have the Stones playing live in your home.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hbXrPWjVB5Q

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1cQbMP3I5Sk

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #22 on: 11 Sep 2017, 11:14 pm »
Hi Folks,

We have looked at wireless active speakers - the BryFi product is our first attempt at a completely wireless playback system

BUT - the problem I see if you still have to supply POWER to the internal amps and such - so you either have an interconnect cable attached to the speaker or you have a power cable. :scratch:

james

re-chargable batteries, James. Not shaken of course.

charles

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #23 on: 11 Sep 2017, 11:17 pm »
Well eventually walls of sound. Plasma walls. All I want is the orgasmatron. Heck with speakers.

charles

Phil A

« Reply #24 on: 12 Sep 2017, 12:31 am »
Maybe a bit more than 20 but telepathy is the next phase for listening to music 8)

dB Cooper

« Reply #25 on: 12 Sep 2017, 03:56 am »
Some of these same people are probably driving cars that cost in excess of $30-50K.
A really fine-sounding two ch audio setup can be had for $20K. Or less. Not pocket change, but the bar has been set too high by the likes of TAS and other periodicals that review uber-expensive gear.

Agree with JLM, but no HP setup will ever get close to the 3D imaging that a floor/near-field monitor can achieve. imho.

It's easier to make a case for a $30K vehicle that can take you anywhere from the nearby 7-11 to Saskatchewan. A $20K audio system just sits in a room and plays music (although I've heard some that didn't, to my ears).

Speakers 'rule' for imaging, headphones 'rule' for detail would be a very oversimplified summary of my position. To me, I'd rather listen to a really good pair of headphones than a really good speaker-based system in a poor room (which I've seen more often than you'd think; I've seen many 'help with this room' type threads with high-dollar systems in 'no-hoper' rooms). In the end, neither paints an absolutely convincing picture so I guess it all comes down to situation, of which budget is a consideration for most people.

wushuliu

« Reply #26 on: 12 Sep 2017, 04:20 am »
The virtual/implant stuff isn't going to happen. At least not on any real scale. It's like the virtual reality talk. VR has been 'the future' for decades and STILL hasn't taken off. Whatever. Instead tubes have made a minor comeback, and vinyl even more so. We are tactile creatures, we are hardwired that way. So the future of speaker design will be tactile and follow the precedent of what old is new again. So what's due for a comeback? Full range/Single driver and headphones. Headphones are well under way. Full range/single driver innovations and acceptance are starting to percolate.

I also predict CDs will have a big comeback in a decade or so.

sabciu

• Enjoy The Music!!
« Reply #27 on: 12 Sep 2017, 04:28 am »
The virtual/implant stuff isn't going to happen. At least not on any real scale. It's like the virtual reality talk. VR has been 'the future' for decades and STILL hasn't taken off. Whatever. Instead tubes have made a minor comeback, and vinyl even more so. We are tactile creatures, we are hardwired that way. So the future of speaker design will be tactile and follow the precedent of what old is new again. So what's due for a comeback? Full range/Single driver and headphones. Headphones are well under way. Full range/single driver innovations and acceptance are starting to percolate.

I also predict CDs will have a big comeback in a decade or so.

That is indeed Interesting  :scratch: I happen to be building a set of Full Range speakers right now.

Armaegis

• slumming it between headphones and pro audio
« Reply #28 on: 12 Sep 2017, 05:16 am »
I predict headphones will be the way of the future in a sort of "minority report" kind of way. They will tie in with the smart-devices du-jour and utilize whatever networking there is to create a "virtual space" to deliver selective noise cancellation and enhanced content to whatever is around you,

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #29 on: 12 Sep 2017, 10:39 am »
If we limit ourselves to "serious audio/HT" listening, we can throw out all those Amazon Echo type (never knew I needed them) devices.

If we limit ourselves to 10 - 20 years in practical terms, we can throw out telepathy and the like.

I for one hope that the phenomenon towards "needing" to be constantly stimulated ("entertained") such as portable earbuds, TV's everywhere, and radio/streaming in every room of the house will end.  It's mind numbing, limits critical thinking, and separates us from reality.

I predict various ambisonic convertors will be offered to provide decent to good 3D imaging for headphone use from traditional recordings.  Much cheaper/easier than having a decent listening room (size, shape, isolated) for dedicated listening which is 98% a private function anyway.  Shared listening (mostly HT) will be handled by wireless active/powered speakers except for the vintage audio crowd who like spinning vinyl and using tubes.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #30 on: 12 Sep 2017, 11:10 am »
I for one hope that the phenomenon towards "needing" to be constantly stimulated ("entertained") such as portable earbuds, TV's everywhere, and radio/streaming in every room of the house will end.  It's mind numbing, limits critical thinking, and separates us from reality.

JLM  :thumb:

witchdoctor

« Reply #31 on: 12 Sep 2017, 02:16 pm »

JLM  :thumb:

Then you get back to "reality" by turning on the news and want to escape again  :cry:

Marius

« Reply #32 on: 12 Sep 2017, 02:24 pm »
Since HeadPhones came up quickly:
Bone conducting to the next level:
Tactile it is.
https://wishaddict.com/products/bone-conduction-headphones

https://www.facebook.com/wishaddictshop/videos/266144747238483

CanadianMaestro

• Restricted
  • Skepticism is the engine of progress
    • Hearing Everything That Nothing Can Measure

Armaegis

« Reply #34 on: 12 Sep 2017, 03:05 pm »
Bone conduction has a long way to go. Viable in 10-20 years? Hmm maybe, but not in any way that involves fidelity due to the inherent limitations of using your face as a medium. It's most effective frequency range is right in the human speech zone, and has already seen applications in tactical use and "tour guide" applications. There are also underwater ones available.

Armaegis

« Reply #35 on: 12 Sep 2017, 03:08 pm »
In the realm of speakers, active units with integrated room calibrations will probably be the next surge.

It's likely that some new form of driver will be invented in the next couple decades, but I suspect it will find use in specific (probably space limited) cases rather than becoming a high fidelity device.

dB Cooper

« Reply #36 on: 12 Sep 2017, 09:36 pm »
I for one hope that the phenomenon towards "needing" to be constantly stimulated ("entertained") such as portable earbuds, TV's everywhere, and radio/streaming in every room of the house will end.

Unfortunately, there seems to be little likelihood of that. People are addicted to their screens. I mostly agree with your premise. I enjoy music greatly, It's one of my biggest joys in life, and a lot of what time I can find these days to listen to it is through in-ear headphones (good ones) because I'm just not able to find enough time to sit at home in front of a "System". So it's nice to be able to use some 'found time' and listen to some music with surprisingly good sound (FLAC and Tidal through my Dragonfly and SE535's are impressive, at least to me). That being said, as I get older, I increasingly enjoy times of silence. People today seem to avoid it, and maybe that's your point? My theory is that people are avoiding themselves, don't want to be alone with their own thoughts. I work in technology retail, and people are always looking for ways to use their lifestyle appliances even more- running (Way back when, when I went running, I just ran, and one of the things I liked about it was having the time to think) and even waterproof cases and earphones so they can listen in the swimming pool).

Kind of far afield of the topic here, or maybe not, as smart speakers are growing (as a share of the audio market) by leaps and bounds while "traditional" audio stagnates.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #37 on: 12 Sep 2017, 11:44 pm »
I get instantly bored when I hear a regular monopole boxed loudspeaker even expensive, it has to stop, the sound is awful.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #39 on: 13 Sep 2017, 12:35 am »
Unfortunately bone conducting works different in each person since the people bone head are different size, density etc