ELAC B6 beauty ring removal

JimBanville

ELAC B6 beauty ring removal
« on: 10 May 2016, 02:40 am »
I read where you could wedge something under the ring to get the removal going, but I'm afraid I'm going to gouge the woofer surround. Any pics or tips? Thanks!

Danny Richie

Re: ELAC B6 beauty ring removal
« Reply #1 on: 10 May 2016, 04:15 pm »
I used small screw drivers to slide under it going at it from the woofer (inside edge) and not from the outside edge. Do a little at a time and you'll see the little dowels that are on it that slide into the cabinet. Lift around those areas.

JimBanville

« Reply #2 on: 11 May 2016, 02:29 am »
Right, but the ring it pressed down right (as in no gap) against the rubber surround. How do u get that screw driver in there and create a gap without damaging the rubber from the surround?

DeeJayBump

« Reply #3 on: 11 May 2016, 03:03 am »
Jim-

Precision screwdrivers? Like those used for the tiny screws in eyeglasses, electronics, etc.

JimBanville

« Reply #4 on: 11 May 2016, 03:51 am »
I've got thin tools specifically made for prying things apart. Like electronics, etc. My point is that the ring is pressed VERY firmly up against plyable rubber on the surround. There is no gap between the ring and the rubber. Before u can "pry", u have to create a gap to stick the pry tool into. How r y'all creating that gap without damaging that fragile rubber?

bdp24

« Reply #5 on: 11 May 2016, 08:18 am »
How about a spark plug gap-setting gauge? You are just simply going to have to get something between the ring and the surround, even if that does result in a slight amount of marring.

Danny Richie

« Reply #6 on: 11 May 2016, 01:38 pm »
You can push gently on the rubber surround without hurting it.

JimBanville

« Reply #7 on: 11 May 2016, 02:42 pm »
Right. I'm taking about the part of the surround that is flat and extends under the ring. U have to force something paper thin and sharp at the point where it and the plastic ring meet, because there isn't already a crevice/gap at that point for prying. Once that thin tool has been pushed with a LOT of force to create the tiniest gap, u then have to rock the tool to get the gap big enough for a slightly larger tool to go in there to do the "real" prying of the ring. The entire time, the flat rubber is taking the force of the tools. I asked my original question because I thought the way I was doing it was wrong. Now I see that there is no other "trick" to this and there a very good chance of either seriously marring or actually cutting/damaging the rubber :(

goskers

« Reply #8 on: 11 May 2016, 02:45 pm »
Perhaps this is why Jones heeded his warned about this on AC a while back.  If you damage it then warranty or possible resale will likely be affected.

Danny Richie

« Reply #9 on: 11 May 2016, 02:55 pm »
I want to say I pulled the rings up on the pair I had with my fingernails. And I lifted it up evenly around most of one side that way using several fingers. Then I could see the tabs and left at those areas. I thought it came off pretty easily.

JimBanville

« Reply #10 on: 11 May 2016, 04:07 pm »
Either u have wolverine claws or they have changed the design, lol.

bdp24

« Reply #11 on: 12 May 2016, 12:19 am »
If you have a friend who plays acoustic guitar finger-picking style, offer to buy him a new set of strings for 5 minutes with his nails!