First Reflection treated with Diffusion

gab

Re: First Reflection treated with Diffusion
« Reply #20 on: 9 Jan 2013, 09:08 pm »

Gonna try these at my first reflections as an experiment,
These are SRL acoustic diffusors based on a prime 23,reminds me of  GIK gridfusors.
I bought four for 200.00 and shipping to Alta Canada was only 62.00 :thumb:.
Hoping these might tell me what I like better absorption or diffusion at 1st reflections,I do have GIK 242's there now.
FUN,FUN,FUN.

http://www.srlacoustics.com/grid-diffuser-qty-2/

is this your source?

drummermitchell

« Reply #21 on: 9 Jan 2013, 10:08 pm »
Correct

srlaudio

• Industry Participant
    • SRL Acoustics
« Reply #22 on: 9 Jan 2013, 11:02 pm »
"And just for clarity, something like the skyline is actually 3D and a typical QRD is 2D.  1 or 2 spatial and 1 time."

This is mistaken information based on my research.  The typical QRD (typical refers to units such as the ones I manufacture, which Woodsyi and others employ in their rooms, that is with the wells oriented vertically) are known as 1D diffusers.  The 2D units are also derived from QRD equations but have broad vertical as well as horizontal dispersion.  They have the "skyline" appearance.  For them to be as effective over a broad frequency range, the depth is greater than equivalent 1D diffusers.
On thing that can be done effectively is to use 1D diffusers in an array, such as two units stacked with horizontal wells flanked by 2 units with vertical wells.  If you need broad vertical dispersion as well as horizontal, this is the way to go.  This is usually only effective in large room acoustics (which also calls for large diffusers, please see website for examples.)

Allen Rumbaugh
srlacoustics.com

bpape

• Industry Participant
  • I am serious and don't call my Shirley
    • Sensible Sound Solutions
« Reply #23 on: 9 Jan 2013, 11:04 pm »
A matter of semantics.  I and many others consider time as a dimension.

Bryan

jimdgoulding

« Reply #24 on: 10 Jan 2013, 12:49 am »

Gonna try these at my first reflections as an experiment,
These are SRL acoustic diffusors based on a prime 23,reminds me of  GIK gridfusors.
I bought four for 200.00 and shipping to Alta Canada was only 62.00 :thumb:.
Hoping these might tell me what I like better absorption or diffusion at 1st reflections,I do have GIK 242's there now.
FUN,FUN,FUN.
Mitch, hi.  Please follow-up here and give us a report.  Thanks.

drummermitchell

« Reply #25 on: 10 Jan 2013, 01:46 am »
Most definitely will.
This I enjoy as much as my music or gear.
Have lots of GIK bass trapping in corners, wall/ceiling,backwall ect.
Now I want to see what diffusion can do in my smallish room(since I know what absorption is doing).                                                                           Don't mind spending a bit to find if perhaps I'll like diffusion better,then I'll know  for me.
Hopefully it will give me more openness,we'll see,worth a shot.

jimdgoulding

« Reply #26 on: 10 Jan 2013, 01:50 am »
 :thumb:
Most definitely will.
This I enjoy as much as my music or gear.
Have lots of GIK bass trapping in corners, wall/ceiling,backwall ect.
Now I want to see what diffusion can do in my smallish room(since I know what absorption is doing).                                                                           Don't mind spending a bit to find if perhaps I'll like diffusion better,then I'll know  for me.
Hopefully it will give me more openness,we'll see,worth a shot.
:thumb:

srlaudio

• Industry Participant
    • SRL Acoustics
« Reply #27 on: 10 Jan 2013, 04:53 am »
Hey PDR

In my research and experience, a diffuser placed overhead the listening position is oriented with the wells going horizontally (Left to Right) in the room.  This is consistent with what Schroeder himself did at Carnegie Hall, as well as John Storyk on his designs.  We had tremendous luck with this orientation at Hilltop Studio in Nashville, this is a 8 foot wide 14.5 inches deep diffuser mounted in the ceiling grid.

srlaudio

• Industry Participant
    • SRL Acoustics
« Reply #28 on: 10 Jan 2013, 05:15 am »
Just to clarify, here is some information, for those interested in semantics.........  Trevor Cox is considered one of the foremost authorities on acoustical diffusion technology.

http://www.rpginc.com/docs/Technology/White%20Papers/Acoustic%20Diffusers_The%20Good,%20The%20Bad%20and%20The%20Ugly.pdf

http://www.phy.mtu.edu/~suits/diffusers.html

srlaudio

• Industry Participant
    • SRL Acoustics
« Reply #29 on: 10 Jan 2013, 05:20 am »

DTB300

« Reply #30 on: 10 Jan 2013, 03:55 pm »
Due to my small room and my seating position - I am just at the outside edge of what we read/hear as proper distance from a diffusor 1ft for every 1" of depth.   Currently my diffusors in the rear of the room are sitting in front of 4" absorption panels at ear height.

With this in mind, I think I will try out some BAD panels and see how they fare against an EPS Diffusor.

More reports later.....

drummermitchell

« Reply #31 on: 26 Jan 2013, 04:31 am »
Just got my 4 SRL grid fusors today and for kicks put them in front of my 242's to see what might happen.
WOW I'm not sure as I was shocked at what I was hearing even on a few mediocre songs.
First off definitely closer to a live event than my panels,the stage grew big time,I don't know why but the bottom end got real punchy even on mediocre songs,and more space between the instruments on the stage with clarity.
It's almost as if the lead parts had more off the stage when it was their turn.
Having diffusion at the first reflection points for some reason reminded me of Magnepan 3.6's I had in here for a few weeks,something going on with the midrange.
Quite excited about this,but I'm going to do more listening tomorrow as it is quite a lot different than panels.
I like the panels 242's but this is quite a shocker musically.The 242's make a more focused presentation clean ect.
For  sure early stages but what I'm hearing so far is what might be quite a step up and my speakers are 20"(C) from the sidewall and with the 242 and the SRL together is another 10"so I have 10" of space between the fusor and my speaker.
This so far is getting closer to live as far as I can tell,gonna be hard to sleep tonight as I'm just a bit excited,should be a lot calmer tomorrow,can't wait :thumb:.

Should add that my speakers are 8'apart and I sit 8'away.
The room is only 12X19X7

Captainhemo

« Reply #32 on: 26 Jan 2013, 06:19 am »
I have been considering  buying/making some  panels  for the frisst reflection points in my room which is almost identical in size.   I'm anxious to hear  more on  your results over the next few days

Big Red Machine

« Reply #33 on: 26 Jan 2013, 01:42 pm »

This so far is getting closer to live as far as I can tell,gonna be hard to sleep tonight as I'm just a bit excited,should be a lot calmer tomorrow,can't wait :thumb:.

This is great.  I found almost the same type of results.  Happy ratamacue!

Alex Reynolds

• Industry Participant
  • Bringing Your Sound to Life
    • GIK Acoustics
« Reply #34 on: 27 Jan 2013, 06:48 am »
It might actually be more beneficial to keep the EPS diffusors in front of the absorbers instead of replacing them. This way you get mids & highs diffused, but get some low and low mid absorption to soak up standing waves. A sort of "best of both worlds" approach.

Of course, the 242 panels may also benefit more from being placed in a different area as well.

DTB300

« Reply #35 on: 27 Jan 2013, 07:58 pm »
It might actually be more beneficial to keep the EPS diffusors in front of the absorbers instead of replacing them. This way you get mids & highs diffused, but get some low and low mid absorption to soak up standing waves. A sort of "best of both worlds" approach.  Of course, the 242 panels may also benefit more from being placed in a different area as well.
They work great in front of 242 and 244...depends on the amount of room you have.   Like you said best of both worlds.

drummermitchell

« Reply #36 on: 28 Jan 2013, 12:04 am »
It seems now that with the EPS diffusors(leaning on the 242's)that I get double the bottom end as in vol which I don't want.
Going to try to raise them up so they are the same height as the 242's to see if that helps,maybe because some of the diffusor is right inline where the woofers are on the 50a's9bottom two)
Other than that I like the diffusors there so hopefully I can fix the bottom end.
These SRL diffusors are 6"deep so either they are enhancing the bass or maybe (I hope)they need to be raised,will report back.

srlaudio

• Industry Participant
    • SRL Acoustics
« Reply #37 on: 31 Jan 2013, 01:47 am »
     We hear this all the time, that the bass needs to be reduced once the diffusion is placed.  This can only mean that we are improving the presentation of bass in the room by breaking up standing waves, or acting as bass traps.  These actions allow you to hear the bass more clearly, allowing a reduction in level.  This is a good thing, not a bad thing.  I was once ballyhooed around here for suggesting using diffusion at early reflection points (now it is apparently ok, since other manufacturers have endorsed it) , and have even endured more for suggesting large diffusers enhance bass.  The control room pictured earlier in this thread had a specific bass standing wave problem which the large overhead diffuser fixed.  I am sure that in the future I will be exonerated and proven right, as NWAA Labs in Santa Carita CA, the leading acoustical testing facility in the country, has verified my findings concerning bass frequencies and diffusion.  He likened the action as the wells on large diffusers acting like hydraulic shock absorbers.  My diffusers are made of solid material, and the larger ones have a low sub audio resonant frequency.  I have felt it in my fingers when holding them in a room with full range material going.  This is another way to enhance small and large room acoustics.  It is certainly an exciting time we live in concerning the reproduction of sound and room acoustics! 

Allen Rumbaugh
SRL Acoustics
www.srlacoustics.com

jimtranr

« Reply #38 on: 10 Feb 2013, 10:23 pm »
I've tried a pair of the SRL prime 23 grid diffusors in two separate applications--in the large living-dining room main system and the far more compact bedroom system.  Being multi-use, neither room is "dedicated" to audio, and each presents its own acoustic scaries, primarily reflections created by furniture placement and, in the main system, a massive ceramic-tiled fireplace approximately midway on the front wall behind the speaker plane.

In the 11' x 13' furniture-cramped and rear-corner-trapped bedroom, placement of a vertically-oriented diffusor atop a 28" speaker stand at the first reflection point on each side wall broadens and deepens the soundstage and enhances mid- and upper-bass definition and "slam." (The speakers are essentially standmounted mini-monitors, with no perceptible output below ~45-50 Hz, but there's still enough to generate a visceral Richter 8 if it's embedded in the program material.) The other benefit noted is greater detailing in the midrange and top.

In the 29' x  14' (shrunken to 12' at about 16' down the long wall) room--which has been tube-trapped where feasible--seating and other furniture placement precludes effective placement of treatment at the sidewall first reflection point, but after experimentation I've found that mounting a pair of vertically-oriented grid diffusors in a 4'W x 2'H wall atop the dining table (yeah, I know  :lol:) about 5' aft of my listening position transforms the listening experience from "very good" with the best program material to "come on in and join us in the soundstage." Lateral imaging extends farther beyond the speaker boundaries than it does in the sans-diffusor configuration, space within the soundstage becomes far more corporeal, and, as a consequence, instrumental and vocal placement and dimensionality, as well as a more natural rendering of tonality, timbre, and previously "buried" nuance with decent-to-well-engineered program material, achieves "they're here" spookiness. Apologies if that sounds hyperbolic, but the sonic difference is that profound. Oh yeah, and the bass. With the diffusors in place, there's more and better-defined "rollout to and past the listener" of the initial bass drum whacks in the first movement of the Wild/Fiedler Gershwin "Concerto in F" collaboration on an RCA LSC--visceral to the nines. Remove the diffusors from the dining table (which I have to when we eat, or my wife won't make me any more chocolate whipped cream cake), and that it's-hitting-me-in-the-gut sensation disappears. 

The point here is that in my situation, at least, the differences in listening venue characteristics and configurations mandated a different diffusion approach to each, and in each instance I achieved more than I expected.     

Dave G

« Reply #39 on: 11 Feb 2013, 07:54 pm »
I've tried a pair of the SRL prime 23 grid diffusors in two separate applications . . . In the 29' x  14' (shrunken to 12' at about 16' down the long wall) room . . . seating and other furniture placement precludes effective placement of treatment at the sidewall first reflection point, but after experimentation I've found that mounting a pair of vertically-oriented grid diffusors in a 4'W x 2'H wall atop the dining table . . . about 5' aft of my listening position transforms the listening experience from "very good" with the best program material to "come on in and join us in the soundstage."

Very interesting.  When your diffusor wall is in place, about how far is it from the wall behind you?  The dimensions of my basement room (27' x 16') are similar to those of your living room/dining room and we similarly have a table (a pool table in our case) behind the listening position.  It's 14 feet from the listening position to the back wall.  Is this somewhat like how your room is laid out?

Thanks.

Dave