Ls100's headphone output hum

danvu

Ls100's headphone output hum
« on: 22 Feb 2014, 08:11 pm »
Hi,
I didn't really use the headphone jack or care about it until today when I tried it with my new headphones and heard a moderate hum. It's masked when playing music at normal volume level. But at low volume or no music, it's very intrusive/annoying. To make sure it's not a grounding issue, I lifted the ground with a cheater plug and unplugged everything connected to the preamp and powered it up. The hum was still there thru the headphones. Is it normal and anyone is experiencing the same?
Thanks,
Dan

JerryH

Re: Ls100's headphone output hum
« Reply #1 on: 26 Feb 2014, 01:45 am »
I had a similar problem when I first used the headphones. It was just user error on my part. The jack seemed all the way in but wasn't. It's a deep inset and there's a second stop.
And while on the subject though off topic, the headphone output is just superb! I use it a lot these days. Couldn't be happier with this preamp.

G Georgopoulos

• Restricted
« Reply #2 on: 26 Feb 2014, 02:05 am »
Hi,
I didn't really use the headphone jack or care about it until today when I tried it with my new headphones and heard a moderate hum. It's masked when playing music at normal volume level. But at low volume or no music, it's very intrusive/annoying. To make sure it's not a grounding issue, I lifted the ground with a cheater plug and unplugged everything connected to the preamp and powered it up. The hum was still there thru the headphones. Is it normal and anyone is experiencing the same?
Thanks,
Dan

the noise floor is raised by this hum,so it means you have a low dynamic range to play with
it could be caused by design issue...

danvu

« Reply #3 on: 2 Mar 2014, 01:26 am »
Thanks guys.

modwright

« Reply #4 on: 10 Mar 2014, 05:43 pm »
Very early LS 100 units did have a ground issue that we resolved.  Please contact us with the S/N and we can assist in this resolution.

Sincerely,

Dan W.