KWI200 and salk

taenk

KWI200 and salk
« on: 1 Feb 2014, 04:58 pm »
Long story, but I am currently considering pairing Salk SoundScape 8's with a KWI200. I think the amp has adequate power to drive these 87db speakers but am wondering about the synergy/sound. I listen to a wide variety of music (no classical) at low-moderate levels in a 15x30' room.

Anyone have any experience with this combo or thoughts on how they would work together. Thanks

Terry

maxboy00

Re: KWI200 and salk
« Reply #1 on: 7 Feb 2014, 07:44 pm »
The MW KWI-200 has some warmth to its sound character, no experience with Salk speakers,  but the MW is a good match for my Selah's plenty of power and headroom. I used to have a Bryston B-100 which is pretty much dead neutral and I wasn't sure I would like a warm sounding amp, but the MW is a fine amp.

mg8

• Roll Away the Dew
« Reply #2 on: 7 Feb 2014, 10:09 pm »
I had the KWI-200 and a Salk Veracity ST.  Both were great individual players and complimented each other's strengths.  The KWI-200 is a beast of an amp and it doubles down to 400w nominal at 4ohm (like the SS8 and mine Veracity).  I think they sonic signatures of each blended very well.  I have not heard the SS8 in a familiar setting. The body and musicality of the KWI-200 should add good things to the Accuton midrange's precision.

sounddog

« Reply #3 on: 10 Feb 2014, 03:02 am »
Not quite the models you are asking about, but my Modwright LS100 preamp and Salk HT2s match together very well.

Mudslide

« Reply #4 on: 10 Feb 2014, 05:15 am »
I don't know if this helps, but we auditioned a pair of SS12's with a KWA150 and the synergy was quite nice.  And the amp had plenty of power to drive the 12's.  Nothing I would change about it.  It presented quite similarly to the same speakers driven by equivalent AVA gear, if you've heard those amps.

taenk

« Reply #5 on: 14 Feb 2014, 12:40 am »
Thanks for the responses. Mudslide, was the KWA part of all tube system? Did you prefer AVA over the KWA?

Mudslide

« Reply #6 on: 16 Feb 2014, 12:46 am »
Thanks for the responses. Mudslide, was the KWA part of all tube system? Did you prefer AVA over the KWA?

No, it was not all tube, but I can't recall the exact in-line gear.   :scratch:  (It was several years ago....2009.)

Only the amps were swapped out for comparison purposes.  For certain several of us heard no notable difference between them.  The amps' presentations were quite comparable.

Oh...and I guess I should say...with either amp, that system(s) was the very best I've ever heard.  'Twas an awesome time and my first and only TRUE speaker-disappearing experience.