Owners experience with PrimaLuna Dialogue HP integrated amp

jaylevine

Hi,

Don't know if this is the best place to post this, so moderator please advise as I'd like to get some feedback if possible (original  posting in AA Integrated forum...)

I recently sold my Bryston 4BSST2 amp and BP26 pre-amp due to space constraints in our family room (and plugged in an Anthem MXR 710 receiver just for watching movies.....)

This left me with an "opportunity" to do something different. I am thinking about putting a system in my small office upstairs, where presently I have my headphone rig. Idea is to purchase an integrated to drive both my headphones and a small set of planars or electrostatics.

Based on recent reviews, the PrimaLuna Dialogue HP integrated amp has caught my eye, however since I've never heard the PrimaLuna, I'd like to solicit feedback from AA board owners who have experience with this unit.

Couple of questions:

1. How does it compare to a solid state unit for my tastes in music? Focus on female vocalist like think Diana Krall, Stacey Kent, Patrica Barber, Rebecca Pidgon, plus traditional club jazz vibraphone and piano such as Milt Jackson, Oscar Peterson, Art Tatum, Lionel Hampton, Gary Burton, you get the idea .

2. What does it sound like with planars or electrostatics?

3. How do you like the headphones being run through the power outputs--is it quiet enough given I have HifiMan HE-500 headphones, which are pretty his resolution?

Thanks in advance--Jay
Source: MacMini, Audirvana Plus, Bryston BDA-1, Sonos Connect for background music throughout the house....

bzr

Great integrated & highly recommended from me. Put the KT150's in there & you will have an effortless sound with reserve, beautiful with vocals & the slightly warmer presentation that only tubes can make you feel is just right. Never tried the headphones, don't own any. Had it driving 89db speakers,plenty of power & loudness.

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
I bought the PrimaLuna Dialogue Premium Integrated last summer (before the HP became available).  See my review in the Critic's Circle.

With my 91 dB/m/w dynamic speakers in a 13 ft x 21 x 8 ft room and my rather mellow listening habits I listen from near-field using the triode (half power, roughly 20 wpc) mode and it's plenty for me.  Haven't seriously used headphones since the 70's.  This is a wonderful amp for your stated musical preferences.  To my ears, the Auto-Bias seems to negate much of differences that tube rolling makes, so I'll not be sweating tube shopping in the future.

jaylevine

Thanks, I read your review and enjoyed it very much. In general all of the reviews for PrimaLuna (both HP and previous models) are quite "glowing"  :)

I did get a note on another board from a previous owner saying that he would not recommend the PrimaLuna to me given my taste in speakers, i.e., Maggies or Martin Logan electrostatic given their challenging impedance and power demands.

What are your thoughts on this concern?

Jay