Bryston Loudspeakers

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
Re: Bryston Loudspeakers
« Reply #2580 on: 7 Aug 2017, 05:10 pm »
James someone asked me what drivers you were using in all of your speakers, so it is Axiom for mids, tweeters and woofer

Axiom makes the drivers for us but they are our own drivers, crossovers and cabinets.

james

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #2581 on: 7 Aug 2017, 05:27 pm »
MEMO: To All Bryston Customers
SUBJECT:  Bryston Middle T Active … Dario in Italy

August 2017

Hi James,

I have finally had the opportunity to test for a few weeks the Bryston Active Middle T loudspeakers system.

GEAR:

•   Bryston 4B3 cubed power amp for low + another Bryston 4B3 Cubed for midrange + Bryston  2.5B3 Cubed  for the high frequencies.

•   BAX-1 Digital Electronic Crossover

•   Bryston Middle T Active Speakers

It hasn't been an easy task because for the first time in my life (I have owned a lot of expensive gear and auditioned much more at shows and at friend's homes) with this Bryston setup I kept hearing to music itself and not to the electronics involved in sound reproduction.

This to say the quality is so high in terms of timbre, with amazing dynamics and huge but believable soundstage the music really seems played as I remembered at live concerts.
All the instruments seem in the right place, perfectly located in the stage with razor shape definition.

I mainly listen to Classical music, Blues and Jazz with a strong preference to medium/small acoustic ensembles, so a performance so natural and realistic is really a must!

James, I really think going active is the future if a great leap forward in music reproduction is the final goal.

Dario Camuzzini
Italy

« Last Edit: 7 Aug 2017, 08:00 pm by James Tanner »

TJ-Sully

« Reply #2582 on: 10 Aug 2017, 06:53 am »
hi james

those Target stands look awesome with the Mini T's  - shown on the previous page.
Are they the MR60's?

cheers, TJ

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #2583 on: 10 Aug 2017, 10:22 am »
Hi

Yes the MR series - heres a better shot of my pair:

DogsPart2

« Reply #2584 on: 10 Aug 2017, 01:12 pm »
Run...don't walk to your nearest dealer and pick up a pair of Mini-T speakers.  :thumb:

I am truly amazed at how good these speakers are.  There is NOTHING anywhere near their price point that comes close, IMHO.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #2585 on: 10 Aug 2017, 03:20 pm »
Run...don't walk to your nearest dealer and pick up a pair of Mini-T speakers.  :thumb:

I am truly amazed at how good these speakers are.  There is NOTHING anywhere near their price point that comes close, IMHO.

Hey - glad you like them - I'm biased of course but they continue to surprise me daily  :thumb:

james

TJ-Sully

« Reply #2586 on: 25 Sep 2017, 11:49 pm »
hi james

what's the best way to order the MR60 stands?.... I'm in  New Brunswick.

Thanks T.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #2587 on: 26 Sep 2017, 12:49 am »
hi james

what's the best way to order the MR60 stands?.... I'm in  New Brunswick.

Thanks T.

Email me at jamestanner@bryston.com and I will send you some info.

james

sweetspot

« Reply #2588 on: 26 Sep 2017, 12:53 am »
Hi

Yes the MR series - heres a better shot of my pair:

James, Are you using an older series of Mini-t? The midrange & tweeter look different.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #2589 on: 26 Sep 2017, 09:34 am »
James, Are you using an older series of Mini-t? The midrange & tweeter look different.

Hi

No thats the newest version with the new tweeter - the mid has not changed - I think its just the way the light is hitting the speaker.

james

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #2590 on: 7 Oct 2017, 10:33 am »

gene9p

« Reply #2591 on: 7 Oct 2017, 01:01 pm »
WOW!!!!!!!

TJ-Sully

« Reply #2592 on: 13 Oct 2017, 11:45 pm »
James, do you have any pictures handy of the Mini T in gloss white on the new stands? Cheers, TJ

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #2593 on: 16 Oct 2017, 06:33 pm »
James, do you have any pictures handy of the Mini T in gloss white on the new stands? Cheers, TJ

Hi

Sorry we do not due the Gloss anymore - we are doing painted white.

james

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #2594 on: 16 Oct 2017, 06:34 pm »
Bryston Model T passive speaker review,  October 16, 2017

Last winter, I was in the market to purchase an entirely new HiFi sound system to upgrade from what I have had for many years.  My vintage walnut veneer tower speakers purchased new in 1975 were about due for replacement.  I loved everything about the my old speakers, the look in real wood veneer, the performance and how much dynamic power they put out to fill my rather large room.  And just to put the size of the room into perspective; my living room is approximately 25 feet wide, 30 feet long, the ceiling is a vaulted 18 foot high mostly glass wall to the east with a upper level balcony to the western side overhanging a 14 foot wide stone fireplace with two rooms above the living room looking down to the main space.  The north side of the room is the staircase going up to the balcony and houses the area under it with the sound system equipment and finally the southern wall is a blend of library cabinets, French doors to the outside deck and an open area leading to the back door and kitchen area.  In other words, it’s a large area with a lot of irregularities and of course I should mention wide pine wood floors. 

I had listened to a pair of relatively new trapezoid shaped tower speakers offered by one of the predominantly subwoofer based companies and the Bryston Middle T’s.  The Middle T’s were superior sounding, but I decided to try the ‘value’ speakers at less than half the price of the Bryston’s.  After using them for a few months, I was having some issues with my power amplifier going into over temperature protection mode on several occasions and I decide that the value speakers were too problematic for my taste.  The one speaker causing my problems was replaced by the manufacturer under warranty and I sold them right afterwards. 
I brought home a pair of Middle T’s on demo while working out my issues with the other speakers with the manufacturer for warranty replacement and was able to do a direct comparison test of the Middle T’s and my ‘value’ speakers in my very large room.  Although the Middle T sounded a little better in the demo studio, they sounded immensely superior in home with this very large room.  They put out so much forceful dynamic power; with virtually no distortion (they do run at 4 ohms vs. 8 ohms with the other speaker) the difference was quite remarkable.

After using the Middle T’s for a period of time, I was sold on them; they are perfect for my room, my listening preferences and the overall performance in terms of the sound stage and detail they present.  The only nagging thought overhanging me was should I buy these or opt for the even larger Model T.  After speaking with a number of people who were familiar with both speakers, it seemed like it was going to be a tough decision as I was told that the Model T is a lot of speaker for some rooms, perhaps too much.  In fact one opinion from a guy I know who has both speakers was that he preferred the Middle T as his room is considerably smaller than mine.  He felt the Model T overpowered his space and it was almost muddy sounding. 

I spoke with James Tanner on this subject and he felt that based on my large area, I would really benefit from the larger Model T.   As such, I decided to pull the trigger on buying a pair of Model T’s and brought in a pair of Rosewood passive Model T’s from a friend of mine who was downsizing his holdings.  I set them up in the exact position which the Middle T’s were stationed and within 5 minutes of use, I just knew these were the speaker!  The dynamic power and sound stage of music is nothing short of amazing in my room.  All frequency ranges just plain old worked; I was finding myself listening to the same music multiple times just to confirm that what I was hearing was real.  The low end is so powerful that I don’t feel any need to replace a second subwoofer which had failed earlier on; the single sub is completely adequate to round out the room acoustics.  If anything, I would most likely bring in a sub from Bryston to meld with the Model T’s. 

I did make one very interesting observation concerning use with my VPI Ares 3 turntable.  With the value speakers, I always was running into problems with excessive low frequency feedback and was finding myself dialing back the bass response to eliminate the annoyance.  However, with the Bryston Model T’s, it makes no difference as to what the low frequency level is set at or how loud I play the music, there is virtually no and I mean no low frequency feedback getting back through the turntable.  I suspect this is a question for James Tanner to address as to why, but from what I might suggest, it means that there are very minimal, if any low frequency distortion products from the Model T vs. the value speaker.

Overall, I’d not dissuade anyone from buying a Middle T, it’s a pure delight to listen to, however if you have a larger area, go for the Model T, it’s worth every penny for what it is capable of producing for raw/refined, beautiful power.    And how do they look?  Well as much as I loved my vintage walnut speakers, I just cannot take my eyes off of the Bryston’s, especially in Santos Rosewood; stunning.   So simply designed and done with taste.

bluepearl

« Reply #2595 on: 16 Oct 2017, 10:03 pm »
Hi James, I have been considering a pair of model t to run in conjunction with a pair of Funk Audio subs, I run a 100hz 6 db high pass into my mains. I was a little surprised to see the bass drivers are crossed at 160hz on the model t, which would give the model t’s three bass drivers a small operating window (60hz +). My current 3 way speakers utilize a 400hz crossover point and I hear a good amount of tactile lower mid bass coming from the bass drivers, I am concerned that I would loose this with the model t. Why is the crossover point so low?  I recall seeing that you were running subs in your personal model t setup, any feedback is appreciated. Thanks

BP

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #2596 on: 16 Oct 2017, 11:23 pm »
Hi James, I have been considering a pair of model t to run in conjunction with a pair of Funk Audio subs, I run a 100hz 6 db high pass into my mains. I was a little surprised to see the bass drivers are crossed at 160hz on the model t, which would give the model t’s three bass drivers a small operating window (60hz +). My current 3 way speakers utilize a 400hz crossover point and I hear a good amount of tactile lower mid bass coming from the bass drivers, I am concerned that I would loose this with the model t. Why is the crossover point so low?  I recall seeing that you were running subs in your personal model t setup, any feedback is appreciated. Thanks

BP

Hi BP

The Bryston speakers are very unique.

The speakers are designed as a full 2-way design (tweeters and mids) and the bass units are added to augment the 2-way.  In fact there are no parts in the crossover below the roll off point of the mids - they roll off mechanically and are loaded with a sealed capsule behind the mids.  There is a huge overlap with very narrow slopes between all the drivers.  So the mids come down very low and the woofers go up very high - in other words they overlay a lot.  In fact the woofers have some energy all the way up to 800Hz and the mids have energy all the way down to 180Hz.

This gives the speakers a very coherent sound and many people comment that even with multiple drivers the speakers sound like one large driver. The sound power is very linear throughout the room so a big open stage with excellent localization of instruments is what you experience.

Ultimately is what they sound like and I have no reservations that they compete with the best available but at a price that does not require a second mortgage.

james

bluepearl

« Reply #2597 on: 17 Oct 2017, 02:20 pm »
Hi James, I am trying to visualize the cross over slopes that you are describing, do you have a graph showing the cross over slopes? Are the bass drivers limited by a low pass crossover or do they run wide open?

Thanks

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #2598 on: 17 Oct 2017, 02:29 pm »
Hi James, I am trying to visualize the cross over slopes that you are describing, do you have a graph showing the cross over slopes? Are the bass drivers limited by a low pass crossover or do they run wide open?

Thanks

Hi

The bass drivers are limited by the crossover.  It is a very different way of doing crossovers and it has to be done in compliance with the driver characteristics (no off the shelf stuff).

james

bluepearl

« Reply #2599 on: 17 Oct 2017, 04:35 pm »
James, Can I see the crossover slopes to understand how the mid and bass drivers interact?