My Capacitor comparisons: Mundorfs, VCap, Sonicap Platinum, Auricap, etc

JakeJ

Cool, Jon L,  very good to know.

ieatsound

hi! :wink:,
do you never compared claritycap CMR vs MR ?

also, what do you think about sound defferences between mundorf vs claritycap ?

thnk you :wink:

I.Greyhound Fan

hi! :wink:,
do you never compared claritycap CMR vs MR ?

also, what do you think about sound defferences between mundorf vs claritycap ?

thnk you :wink:

Which Mundorf and Clarity caps?  There are multiple versions of both.

Here is a nice review of caps if you have not already seen it-

http://www.humblehomemadehifi.com/Cap.html

Here are a few others-

http://singaporehifi.blogspot.com/2010/09/capacitor-shoot-out.html

http://www.laventure.net/tourist/caps.htm

ieatsound

mundorf silver oil and claritycap mr

thank you for the links but i already read

earwig

yes I think clarity mr might be good for my totems

ieatsound

do you compared mr vs silver oil ?

earwig

I found the black capacitors  say :(RC with a oval circle around them) in the Totem forest .I could not identify them. If you can guess I dissected one, they have a black case and full of hard plastic resin inside encasing a metalized film inside that looks like cheap n lousy looking film foil like mayby something used for industrial or car capacitors but not audiofile caps whatsoever.One is 3.5 (measured 3.61 on my cap meter ) the other was a .5ufd black RC junker combined with a real PX clarity cap 5.2uf(measured the combo together was 5.5uf but should be 5.7uf). So I guess Ill try Mundorf Supreame 5.6 for woofer and the tweeter a Clarity Cap 3.3uf with a Mundorf supreame .22uf combo for 3.52uf and a Path audio 3.9ohms for the tweeter to sweeten up the stew.

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
Clarity MR's are great caps.  I use them in my Serenity Acoustic Super 7's.  For bypass caps, I use Jupiter Copper foil and beeswax, it gives that Dueland type sound without the ridiculous price tag.

Chiswocka

Anyone tried Duelund CAST tinned copper or silver copper?

earwig

Anyone heard of the Richard Hovlands Supercap ,a better version of Hovlands caps I think .This long narrow cap will fit inside very nicely.I found some interesting "stuff" too a sticky type of sorbothane rubber used in audio to damp unwanted vibrations.They are selling a carpet adhesive in the dollar stores it looks exactly the same stuff. It sticks without leaving any residue. The capacitors I found are taped to the board with a double sided adhesive tape but this sorbothane carpet stuff should help reduce microphonic effects way better! Yes I don't mind the idea of Clarity Caps MR rated but darn, they are very bulky fat jobbies but the slender long Hovland Supercap will stuff between the coil and resistor and they are well rated very good  by Humble hi fi .

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
Anyone tried Duelund CAST tinned copper or silver copper?

I have tried the Hybrid copper/silver CAST PIO against the copper CAST PIO. In direct comparison more open, transparent and yes musical in every way. Bass is better defined as well. A big jump up in performance. Used in Arion hybrid class "D" mono blocks. Original cap was Cardas which is no slouch until you experience Duelund.

charles

jostber

earwig

Would anyone know about the how good are the "european terminator blocks" used to bolt crossover parts together and wire internal speaker wires up in crossovers sound?(see my crossover pic above)As for the monsterous sized  Duesland  caps I see they are using out of speaker crossover platforms and bolting the parts and wires together with hardware store copper grounding lugs (shaped like a copper boot with a screw bolt inside). Are these better?

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
Would anyone know about the how good are the "european terminator blocks" used to bolt crossover parts together and wire internal speaker wires up in crossovers sound?(see my crossover pic above)As for the monsterous sized  Duesland  caps I see they are using out of speaker crossover platforms and bolting the parts and wires together with hardware store copper grounding lugs (shaped like a copper boot with a screw bolt inside). Are these better?

You may consider doing that yourself. Meaning outboard crossovers. Every speaker we have done that was an improvement in sound. For get terminator blocks. Twist and solder and be happier. Why use plastic and another connection ?
   BTW Jupiter copper with Duelund universal silver bypass cap is a frugal way to get Duelund performance.

charles

earwig

Id put it a thick plexiglass box then to keep the dust out if thus your going for the ultimate .lol

earwig

How do you mount a huge fat round much heavier capacitor to a flat crossover board? The double sided sticky tape from the dollar store going to do it like the ones that was on my much smaller original crossover capacitors?   :scratch:   :duh:  oh my...

Wayne1

Take a look at what Keithh has done to his Wedgie speaker. Cutting out the board to allow the capacitors to rest inside the cut outs.

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=151056.0

You could also just use silicone sealant to hold and somewhat isolate the capacitors from the boards.

earwig

That looks cool! So I just get some small enlongated wooden blocks or plastic and carve a concave little "capacitor cradle" for my round capacitors then I can flush mount the bottom of the flat part of the block against the flat crossover board either by glueing or flat adesive tape will stick much better. That picture above gave me that idea any other ideas?
« Last Edit: 21 Jul 2017, 11:29 am by earwig »

Audiophile58

I have been modding caps since 2000. I have found in some speakers depending on drivers oil caps
Even jupiters can be  too rich if used as main caps .excellent caps even duelund,but sometimes room willl not
Allow this . I recently bought the latest Martin Logan- 11A that has active 24 bit dual powered subs in each speaker and Bass room correction. it is very well made jantzen inductors ,1% resistors, only 3 caps ,that crossover at 300 hz then free range . I got  rid of the Solen 33uf Bass cap and replaced it with the New Clarity Csa Cap a Dramatic difference in size 2x the diameter 2x3 and Much better
Bass slam and accuracy. The two small 4.7,5.6 caps I had Mundorf  Supremes,for highs with a .22 Mundorf Silver oilbypass cap ,and new Clarity Csa,with same .22 bypass cap . Since all three caps are linked lowpass from low Bass to 300hz mid Bass and very limited space in separate draw under the Woofers these barely fit
The 3 caps Very work together very well and are a very cost effective combination that sound several times more expensive then the $250 I spent.with crossover tuning nothing is written in stone.
If in the New England area -Ma   As a Audiophile I welcome fellow Audiophiles to stop over.

Spuds

Incredible post Jon !!! I've actually read all 45 posts now... I recently bought a Transcendent Grounded Grid preamp with some upgrades and Mundorf M Cap Supreme 1uF 410VAC/600VDC coupling caps. I know you were using V-Cap Teflon caps but a little too costly at this point. I was considering Mundorf Silver/Gold/Oil or Jupiter Copper Foil caps. Have you tried these in your Transcendent preamp yet ? Thanks