Tube Buffers (Deleted)

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
Tube Buffers (Deleted)
« on: 13 Dec 2017, 11:24 am »
I answered my own question....sorry for the wasted space. Deleted....

JakeJ

Re: Tube Buffers (Deleted)
« Reply #1 on: 13 Dec 2017, 12:30 pm »
Keep up the good work!

gregfisk

• Restricted
  • Us alone in the universe? sure is a waste of SPACE
« Reply #2 on: 15 Dec 2017, 12:31 am »
Man! I wish I could do that :thumb:

mresseguie

« Reply #3 on: 15 Dec 2017, 01:07 am »
 :lol: :icon_lol:

You guys crack me up.

I had wondered about using a tube buffer between a CDP and my tube preamp....but my preamp IS a tube preamp which, in effect, is a tube buffer, no? Why would I add a tube buffer ahead of my tube preamp? That means I'd be changing the sonic character of my tube preamp with a different tube buffer. Why the hell would I do that since I love the sound of my D Sachs Model 2?

Anyway, my thinking about modded CDPs is what led to my thinking about saving money by using a cheap tube buffer instead of my spending a kazillion dollars on a modded CDP. After typing the question and posting it, I realized that I simply do not need a tube modded CDP in my system. If can take the money I would have spent on a CDP/tube buffer and consider buying a server instead....or just knuckle down and buy a DAC like yours, Greg.  :thumb: How's that working out? You ready to sell it to me yet?  :wink:

I saw that ad, too btw.....and I periodically contact one of the NA distributors about this or that option and what it's going to cost. I still haven't decided....but I will return to PDX in 6 weeks, so I had better decide soon.

« Last Edit: 15 Dec 2017, 09:32 am by mresseguie »

gregfisk

• Restricted
« Reply #4 on: 15 Dec 2017, 01:26 am »
Well,

I totally agree with everything you said about tube buffers. I think they are only good if you want to add some tube flavor to an all SS system. I have an inexpensive Yaquin tube buffer and an ifi tube buffer as well. You are welcome to take either or both home with you if you like. But, when you get to the level of transparency your system now has I believe it will only mess with the signal path and ruin the amazing sound you have. Even a good buffer in my opinion would be a bad idea although a lot of people like them.

The one good thing about a tube buffer is the low cost to experiment. If all you have is a SS system and want to hear what the taste of tubes can add buy a tube buffer and see if you like the flavor. Then you're not buying a bunch of expensive tube gear to see if you like tubes. The other  reason is to add gain if that is something you need for a poor match up of equipment.

Now that wasn't so bad was it :lol:

Still really looking forward to hearing what Don has built for you, can't wait :hyper:

JakeJ

« Reply #5 on: 15 Dec 2017, 01:40 am »
Yup, uh huh, agree.  While Greg is correct I re commend you try it anyway as sometimes empirical observation is the only way to make sure.

Will you be bringing your preamp back from Taiwan after this "tour"?

mresseguie

« Reply #6 on: 15 Dec 2017, 01:52 am »
Thanks, guys.

I am thinking very hard about bringing the Model 2 back with me. You know...match made in heaven and such....

I'm thinking my Taiwan system will be SS going forward, but that's still being tweaked.

February.....meeting of the enthusiastic audiophools....stay tuned....

JakeJ

« Reply #7 on: 15 Dec 2017, 02:07 am »
Oh...will you be back by then?  If so, cool!

mresseguie

« Reply #8 on: 15 Dec 2017, 02:09 am »
I will fly into PDX 1/25/18.

On another note....what do you guys think of this:

http://salksound.com/gallery/StreamPlayer%20Gen%20III%20SE/details.pdf

What good alternatives exist at this price or below (or is this the best choice)?

Rusty Jefferson

« Reply #9 on: 15 Dec 2017, 02:22 am »
I had wondered about using a tube buffer between a CDP and my tube preamp....but my preamp IS a tube preamp which, in effect, is a tube buffer, no?.....
Your tube preamp may, or may not be a buffer. Many are not, and have high output impedance, which depending on what amplifier(s) it's driving can cause problems.  Most folks use buffers between their preamp and amplifier(s) to eliminate those problems.  Good luck with the experiments.

JackD

« Reply #10 on: 15 Dec 2017, 02:25 am »
Michael

What do you want or need the streamer to do?  Storage or not, ripping ability or not, wireless or wired, Roon or not, built in music service access.  All things you need to decide.

Oh, and I wouldn't put a tube buffer anywhere near that Don Sachs combo.

gregfisk

• Restricted
« Reply #11 on: 15 Dec 2017, 06:50 am »
Oh...will you be back by then?  If so, cool!

The Feb, G2G date will be determined by which weekend Michael can make it. Then I'll let everyone know and we can plan the fun accordingly. :thumb:

I'm guessing Michael doesn't care if this thread goes sideways since he already cancelled it :o

mresseguie

Re: Tube Buffers and More!
« Reply #12 on: 15 Dec 2017, 07:14 am »
Not sideways....this is free flowing.  :wave: :xmas:

A_shah

« Reply #13 on: 15 Dec 2017, 08:45 am »

You guys crack me up.

I had wondered about using a tube buffer between a CDP and my tube preamp....but my preamp IS a tube preamp which, in effect, is a tube buffer, no? Why would I add a tube buffer ahead of my tube preamp? That means I'd be changing the sonic character of my tube preamp with a different tube buffer. Why the hell would I do that since I love the sound of my D Sachs Model 2?

Anyway, my thinking about modded CDPs is what led to my thinking about saving money by using a cheap tube buffer instead of my spending a kazillion dollars on a modded CDP. After typing the question and posting it, I realized that I simply do not need a tube modded CDP in my system. If can take the money I would have spent of a CDP/tube buffer and consider buying a server instead....or just knuckle down and buy a DAC like yours, Greg.  :thumb: How's that working out? You ready to sell it to me yet?  :wink:

I saw that ad, too btw.....and I periodically contact one of the NA distributors about this or that option and what it's going to cost. I still haven't decided....but I will return to PDX in 6 weeks, so I had better decide soon.

Michael
Sorry for Butting in
But why would you want to mess up your wonderful sounding system,  expensive system  with a tube buffer ? as you said you already have a tube buffer in DS-2 preamp. , but if you still want to experiment, you may want to get a Schiit Vali 2 ($ 149.00)  and see how you like it , tube buffers work fine with SS I did try a Schiit Lyr 2 last year with a Peachtree Nova 150 & LS 50 speakers (sold the the Nova and sent back the Lyr 2 to amazon after Christmas) it did change the SQ with the goodness of tubes but than Peachtree Nova is a SS amp.
I like your idea of getting a Lampitzator DAC , I believe that has tubes too ?
I am thinking of getting a streamer too.
 PS audio does have  a bridge card 11 for the Directstream but I think I might be better off getting a separate streamer , haven't made up up my mind yet
I thought about Dan Modwrights OPPO  205 MOD for a CDP but all that expense didn't  make any sense  to me either

Asghar

mresseguie

« Reply #14 on: 15 Dec 2017, 09:30 am »
Ashgar,

I'm shocked and horrified that you would butt it.  :lol: Or not...

My Model 2 is here in Taiwan with me, but I'm 99% certain I'll take it back to WA/OR next month. I've GOT to hear it with my Kootenay 120. I just gotta! If I take it back, then I'll have my ST-10, Gustard X20u DAC, and my aging Squeezebox Touch here. It's all SS. Of course, there's nothing wrong with this, but now that I've waded into the world of tube sound, I may find myself longing for that certain flavor that tubes impart. I seldom do serious listening in my flat in Taiwan. The room isn't ideal and I often sit in another room working on the computer, so I don't need killer equipment here.

Whichever DAC I end up buying next year, it'll certainly stay with my D Sachs components and my Apollos in WA.