Bottlehead Eros Coupling Cap Upgrade

SCompRacer

Bottlehead Eros Coupling Cap Upgrade
« on: 11 Nov 2015, 07:27 am »
I've used Gen 1 and II Sonicaps, but this is my first use of Sonicap Platinum's as coupling caps. They replace the supplied 1.5uf Solen's included with the Eros kit. It sounded great before, looking for even better now! Thanks for the assistance Jeff! We decided to use L3 matched (1/2%) .33uf instead of the suggested .47uf's. What do they say, with couplers, less is more? Pre amp SE input impedance is 300K Ohms, so the -3db Frequency is around the suggested 2 Hz.

The top side with custom crotch walnut base with eight coats of hand rubbed Tung oil.

poseidonsvoice

• Science is not a democracy - Earl Geddes
    • 2 channel/7 channel setup
Re: Bottlehead Eros Coupling Cap Upgrade
« Reply #1 on: 11 Nov 2015, 11:01 am »
What a beauty! Dan Schmalle and Paul Joppa have always implemented excellent circuit design...so you have a piece that is both sonically and visually beautiful...unlike many tube designs out there!

Enjoy the upgrade!

Best,
Anand.

ebag4

« Reply #2 on: 11 Nov 2015, 03:51 pm »
Beautiful work! :thumb:

Best,
Ed

glynnw

• I have tin ears.
« Reply #3 on: 11 Nov 2015, 06:19 pm »
Gorgeous.  You guys with good taste are always making it difficult for the rest of us.

Jeff

• Facilitator
  • Test...
    • Sonic Craft, Inc.
« Reply #4 on: 11 Nov 2015, 07:46 pm »
Thank you for your participation in my forum  :D

I look forward to your findings.

SCompRacer

« Reply #5 on: 12 Nov 2015, 05:37 am »
Thanks for the kind words! I get by with a little help from my friends... The walnut came from a friends fathers farm in Wisconsin. The black paint is Rust-Oleum. Let it dry long enough and you can wet sand/buff it out. This one is just waxed.

All back together, just have to make it to the weekend and light it up.

SCompRacer

« Reply #6 on: 14 Nov 2015, 07:59 pm »
My concern with this upgrade was the designer posted .47uf was the suggested lowest coupler cap to use due to the possibility of the output interconnect being exposed to electromagnetic fields, many of which can impose hum through capacitive coupling. I had also read that with resistors after coupling caps like the Eros has, bass will roll off with use of lower value caps. Jeff was very patient with my concerns and explained his doubt that the .33uf coupler would be an issue for me. You just don’t get a hopeful guess, Jeff really knows his way around crossovers and circuits and explains why. ;) He even offered to cancel my order and send the .47uf but I trusted him and went with the 33uf. My pre amp SE input impedance is 300k Ohms.

My system is diy heavy plinth/heavy platter Lenco idler drive - Advanced Analog MG-1 linear air bearing arm w/ Ultra P arm - AT33PTG/II cartridge (.3mV) - Phoenix Engineering BETA 25 watt Eagle Digital Power Supply w/ RoadRunner Tachometer - Park’s Audio Budgie SUT (CineMag Blue 1:8 / 1:16 set at 1:8.) - Bottlehead Eros - ARC Reference 3 pre amp - Krell KSA-250 - Salk SoundScape 8 speakers - NHT B-12d subs (10,000 cubic feet open listening area) - GIK acoustic treatments.

I used my Granite Audio MC phono burn in CD to put some hours on the Eros before the weekend after installing the Sonicap Platinum .33uf couplers. I am very happy to report the 33uf couplers have introduced no noise in my system. Low level listening is greatly improved. My vinyl is more transparent than before. System is more coherent, and exhibits more realistic ambiance and air. There is no roll off of the bass. I am very pleased with the Sonicap Platinums! Thanks Jeff!

Vinyl played:

RTI Limited Edition 180 gram 45rpm Melody Gardot / My One and Only Thrill.
Telarc Michael Murray Bach / The Great Organ at Methuen.
Talk Talk / The Colour of Spring remastered import
Skrillex / Bangarang (yeah, I like me some dubstep now and then…lol)