GR Research community build: X-LS ENCORE

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
GR Research community build: X-LS ENCORE
« on: 18 Dec 2020, 02:07 am »

Edit: I have decided to shelve this idea until I come to a more cohesive plan and gather more info about how to best move forward, if at all. I will be refunding any money that has been sent to me shortly.
-Hobbs

COMMUNITY FUNDED X-LS REVIEW KIT

I tossed up this idea on the NBT Studio thread, but I thought it might be a better to make a dedicated thread. I wanted to put together a community-funded XLS Encore kit that is intended to be a high-end review unit that can be sent to reviewers like big or small, that want to see what GR-Research & DIY market has to offer!

THE GOAL:

The goal is to raise the money to fund & build a fully upgraded X-LS kit with both binding posts & tube connectors (for A/B comparisons/tests) & an 8' pair of Danny's new 16-strand speaker cables with banana plugs & Tube connectors.

The plan after completion will be for me will be to reach out to different reviewers & send the kit out for review to any of those that are interested in taking a look at what DIY can do. (I will be learning more and updating this portion as i reach out to learn more about the process.)

THE COST:

XLS Encore + all upgrades: $529
No-Rez: $50
18' 16-strand cable + kit $215
Flat pack: ~$140*
Shipping Crate: ~$200-300*
Shipping: ~$250
Total: ~$1,384-$1,484 USD

*Peter has offered to use one of his pre-done "video mule" cabinets for the project as well as a shipping crate that can be used to ship the units in.  :thumb:

If anyone wants to contribute to the project with time/skill/components feel free to let me know below!

HOW TO CONTRIBUTE:

I will update the amount received as we come towards the goal, & will post receipts as purchases/payments are made.

We can also create a list of everyone that contributed to the project, if you want your name/username you can DM me.

I will start by giving $100 to the project.

Current funds: $0
Feel free to ask any questions below!

-Hobbs[/s]
« Last Edit: 19 Dec 2020, 04:23 pm by Hobbsmeerkat »

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
Re: GR Research community build: X-LS ENCORE
« Reply #1 on: 18 Dec 2020, 05:01 pm »
A couple things I thought it would be important to add:

- The end date for this fundraiser will be January 31st.
If the goal is not met by then, all donations will be refunded on February 1st.

- If the goal is exceeded, remaining funds will go towards those that worked on this project with time/skill etc.

Peter J

• Hmmmm
« Reply #2 on: 18 Dec 2020, 05:50 pm »
Here are my random thoughts.

I have some "video mule" cabinets already made, and would prefer to use those but they're all cut for Tube Connectors. I have programmed for, and cut a few "combo" backs for people who wanted to compare, but I'd have to build new cabinets for this and that would require time, mostly to give them a what I consider a proper finish. This is about me and my desire to not put half-baked stuff into the world in general.

To reuse the shipping crate, a closure mechanism other than screws that will inevitably strip would seem prudent. I will see to that.

If I'm right in assessing the spirit of what you're proposing to do, it puts you in the position of being an ambassador for GR Research. Seeking out reviewers, sending and retrieving the samples and all else that comes with the job. Otherwise, it just becomes a one-time effort that I suspect many don't feel compelled to get behind. To this end, Hobbs, I think you need to clarify your intentions here. Being a cheerleader is one thing, but this sounds as if you're offering something beyond that.

I'm not intending to dash the idea, but it seems a little loosely strung together to gain support from a bunch of people.

For my part, should it come to fruition, I would supply the finished boxes in a shipping crate, then presumably send to crossover builder who would complete the assembly, and then perhaps to you, Hobbs, so you can see to the machinations of getting into (and out of) the hands of reviewers.

« Last Edit: 18 Dec 2020, 09:05 pm by Peter J »

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #3 on: 18 Dec 2020, 08:26 pm »
These are all great points, Peter! And I appreciate the feedback, cuz the latter points are definitely things I hadn't considered, tho I'm okay with the responsibility of reaching out to reviewers and the shipping to/from, etc.

I'm ok with forgoing the combo idea, my apologies for asserting that you would make a custom unit just for this project, that was a misunderstanding on my part. I think any of your video "mule" kits would work wonderfully, & I totally understand wanting to put your best work forward.

Yes, the responsibility of being an "ambassador" was definitely my biggest oversight, and thats definitely something i should have considered, but it's something I'm willing to learn & manage.
And there's definitely some learning I'll need to do over the coming weeks to understand what is and isn't acceptable or expected.

For sure I doyt want this to be an item that gets only a singe look, then ends up stuck in my hands. It would certainly feel like selfish gesture, & that's something I dont want.
I would rather it be shared amongst those that are genuinely interested, or among those supported the project.

If it came to such a point Id have been better off financing it's assembly & such on my own rather than getting others involved in the risk of this project..

So I likely have bitten off more than I can reasonably handle, and should have put a bit more thought into the project & process beyond just the first few steps. :P

I'll make some needed changes to the post tonight & make a more firm decision after some deeper thought over the next couple days, as to if I can reasonably keep the project going, or refund any donations & shelve the project..

I really appreciate the feedback, Peter!  :thumb: