Inspire Amps

Derockster

Inspire Amps
« on: 16 Aug 2017, 12:17 pm »
Good morning All,

I live in sunny Barbados and so no trial and error for me when it comes to buying hifi gear.
i have two horn systems, one front loaded one back loaded and I am looking/hoping to purchase an Inspire amp.
Can anyone give me their impressions of these amps soundwise.

Both my rooms are small (9x12x7.5) but I have always love nearfield listening and I also play at low to moderate levels.

One of my horns carries a 4 inch fullrange fostex driver and the other an 8 inch.

looking forward to your comments.

Regards

Cleaton

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
Re: Inspire Amps
« Reply #1 on: 16 Aug 2017, 12:23 pm »
This seems nice to me, can use various KTs, inclusive the KT150:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/STEREO-TUBE-AMPLIFIER-INSPIRE-by-DENNIS-HAD-KT-66-TUBE-SINGLE-ENDED-AMPLIFIER-/152546271391?hash=item238477609f%3Ag%3AXU4AAOSwOyJX7q3n&nma=true&si=OPHqU7R43SErOEMmF1mtkUz2m3s%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557
Worth mention chassis is small, so lots of parts in a small space is hard to fix, in this case it will need a handy tech.

roscoe65

« Reply #2 on: 16 Aug 2017, 12:45 pm »
I own two Inspire amps, a KT88HO (6922 version) and a KT88PSE.  The tube designation is really how the amp is voiced and supplied with tubes.  There may be a difference in bias voltage, but I doubt it.  These amps can run just about any Pentode or Beam tube from EL84 to KT150, though some may need socket adapters.  The KT88HO will give 5wpc (6V6) to 12wpc (KT88).  The amps a a lot of fun because you can tube-roll to your heart's content, though with the newer PS the effects of changiong the rectifier tube are reduced.

Dennis Had builds and signs all of these by hand.  He uses custom-would iron (the power transformer is overbuilt) and great quality components.  He does not voice these to sound slow and romantic.  He is generally a fan of Munforf, Audyn and Jantzen capacitors which I have found to give a more modern sound.

You may wish to spend a few hours here:  https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=24170

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #3 on: 16 Aug 2017, 12:50 pm »
Surprised they dont sound romatic, they sound neutral?
Now is the harmonics?

roscoe65

« Reply #4 on: 16 Aug 2017, 01:08 pm »
Surprised they dont sound romatic, they sound neutral?
Now is the harmonics?

They don't sound like an old CJ or Quicksilver.  They sound clean and modern but also three dimensional and very musical.  The tube choices very strongly influence the character of the sound.  I have thus far experiemented with EL84, 6V6, 6L6, KT66, KT77, and KT88 tubes.  In my PSE amp I get 10wpc (6V6) to 24wpoc (KT88).

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #5 on: 16 Aug 2017, 01:53 pm »
Nice impressions thanks for sharing.
It take max points at this review:
http://www.10audio.com/inspire_fire-bottle.htm

Hear Clifford Brown

« Reply #6 on: 16 Aug 2017, 04:46 pm »
I have an Inspire amp and Roscoe65 is right about the sound of these amps.  I currently have on trial a First Watt J2 and the two amps sound almost identical in my system.  Speakers are Tonian Labs Classic 12.1 with Phy H30 12" full range driver.  Efficiency of somewhere between 95 and 97 dB, 16 ohm.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #7 on: 16 Aug 2017, 10:59 pm »
Great speaker congratuilations, in this 12 Alnico driver you can easily listen the Alnico ''sound''?

Derockster

« Reply #8 on: 18 Aug 2017, 10:55 pm »
Thanks Guys for your input...seems I am going with an Inspire amp for my horns.

Regards

Cleaton