If there is no limit, what kind of amp do you want?

in1unison

Re: If there is no limit, what kind of amp do you want?
« Reply #60 on: 28 May 2017, 09:04 pm »
...so what do i know? :D

Yes, but you haven't used their Lightspeed cables   :icon_lol:

Armaegis

• slumming it between headphones and pro audio
« Reply #61 on: 28 May 2017, 10:08 pm »
We are thinking of offering custom opamp (build with transistors) for sound tuning in some future products.

This could be interesting... I assume in these cases the opamps would be used as part of the gain stage or input buffer?

Audio-GD did similar things early on in their amp making days, with several different modules for flavour.

An idea: work on an AI module able to detect our cognitive hearing abilities and affinities, delivering signal to the speakers accordingly  :wink:
Much easier to create a cerebral alteration fluid that can be self-administered orally until your cognitive abilities match your listening level   :wink:

Porter

« Reply #62 on: 23 Oct 2017, 09:21 pm »
I'd love to see a sub-$1500 integrated amp/DAC, above the IDA-8 but below the IDA-16, that has at least two Toslink optical inputs while retaining at least one analog input. I would have bought a Nuprime product weeks ago, but the number of digital inputs are very limited on most of your products.

traver02

« Reply #63 on: 23 Oct 2017, 10:32 pm »
i am just waiting for something quite simple:

- ST-10 in mono-amp configuration, all the features of the ST-10, same sound plus a superb soundstage
- I do not think this is too difficult, and should not cost a fortune

- 200W x unit is enough for me (speaker 89dB)

rustydoglim

« Reply #64 on: 24 Oct 2017, 07:51 am »
When we are ready to introduce ST-11, it will be based on ST-10, but only in mono.

traver02

« Reply #65 on: 24 Oct 2017, 08:11 am »
ST-11 mono-amps?
Great!
thanks.
I guess quite a lot of people will be interested....

Rocket_Ronny

• Your Room Is Everything - Use It Well.
    • ScriptureSongs.com
« Reply #66 on: 24 Oct 2017, 02:56 pm »
Back in the good old days when Wind Chaser and myself owned John Iverson's Electro Research Ek-1 Strain Guage Cartidge systems, the first two in Canada; Wind had a dream of the ultimate power amplifier. He had a Sumo 9 running Acoustat II and I had either the Classe DR2 or Iverson's Electron Kinetics Eagle 7a on Acoustic IIIs, forget now which amp I had at the time.

Jon Iverson pulled up with a semi trailer to Wind's house and he had some folks bring in a monster amp and run massive, 1 foot diameter, power cables back to the semi. Then they powered up the nuclear power plant in the semi and while Wind was in his listening chair John Iverson looks and said to him, you want to hear what a real amplifier sounds like - well here you go, and he plugged in the monster cables to the amp. The music played and Wind's brain blew out of his head. Now THAT's an amplifier!

Rocket_Ronny

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #67 on: 24 Oct 2017, 05:29 pm »
 A design that offers the following.
Frequency response flat from 10HZ to 50KHZ
Proper tonality uncolored sound not bright,dark or thin
Able to reproduce harmonic overtones and decay
Minimal or zero distortion
Body and weight to music
Transparent yet not thin
Able to give emotional impact without fatigue
Reasonably priced
SS or tubes or hybrid no matter give me tonality

charles

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #68 on: 24 Oct 2017, 07:28 pm »
Good tube SE amps have nice even harmonics(2º, 4º).
« Last Edit: 24 Oct 2017, 11:53 pm by FullRangeMan »

Kenobi

« Reply #69 on: 24 Oct 2017, 11:02 pm »
How about an amp that covers the basic fundamentals like the ability to maintain linearity, accuracy (to the extent possible), speed/rhythmic drive, low noise, continuity and flow, dynamics of the micro as well as MACRO variety, high efficiency/reliability PLUS the ability to:

1) Scale between analytical to neutral to musical/tubish warmth on the fly per the listener's preference and/or source material dictates 
2) Choose power level (wattage)
3) Modular and upgradable
4) On the external side: choose your own armor that better fits one's style (more choices beyond the typical color options) and preference.  The better the build, the higher the cost, vice versa. 

A more unique, customized solution instead of the typical cookie cutter approach.  Is this possible?   Oh, still be real world, reasonably priced.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #70 on: 24 Oct 2017, 11:57 pm »
This kind of preamp dont exist in western world, an Marantz and Matisse emulator for just 1 grand it would be my favor preamp:
http://www.cattylink.com/page226.html
« Last Edit: 25 Oct 2017, 01:59 am by FullRangeMan »

pewe

« Reply #71 on: 28 Oct 2017, 05:40 pm »
Ideally I would like to see an integrated amp with a modular DAC or no DAC at all. As dac-technology moves forward you simple change the module. I also like my hifi to have good looks and good build quality. I think Nuprime looks OK but there is room for improvement.

montesquieu

« Reply #72 on: 22 Nov 2017, 11:47 pm »
A useful mod would be user-variable sensitivity in the power amp inputs.

I use a high-gain valve preamp (14db of gain) which often causes sensitivity problems. (Not with matching valve amps which often have input attenuation, but with solid state).