Fern and Roby: Rocket Dipole Subwoofer

TitaniumTroy

Fern and Roby: Rocket Dipole Subwoofer
« on: 25 Dec 2016, 05:18 am »
Any thoughts design wise on this dipole subwoofer, other than it's not cheap?

https://www.fernandroby.com/products/details/rockett-dipole-subwoofers
Our design features the stellar DC Gold Audio 10 inch driver. By having two drivers firing in opposition to each other, we increase efficiency and dampening in a balanced manner, allowing the experience to be dictated by the output rather than a resonant box’s characteristics (which is non-linear).

With only 17 grams of moving mass and no spider on the woofer, our drivers are incredibly fast, enabling them to keep up with a wide range of speakers like electro-stats and other loudspeakers that can typically be tough to keep pace with.

We designed the Rockett subwoofers to work as a summed single module, or in stereo as a pair, which is our favored approach. Each unit is powered by a 175 watt, Hypex DS 2.0 plate amp in the base with its own gain, crossover, phase, and eq controls. Bi-Amplification of the bass takes a heavy load off of the main power amp and lets it drive the main speakers to greater effect where it is most important, delivering greater nuance and detail in the mid and high range. The integrated power amp’s controls allow for the subs to be dialed in and tuned to the frequency response of the room and specs of y

Chicken Man

Re: Fern and Roby: Rocket Dipole Subwoofer
« Reply #1 on: 25 Dec 2016, 06:33 am »

It must be designed to work in a vacuum if its going to keep up with electrostatics.

C.M

poseidonsvoice

• Science is not a democracy - Earl Geddes
    • 2 channel/7 channel setup
« Reply #2 on: 25 Dec 2016, 01:33 pm »
At least you can buy the drivers at Walmart!  :icon_twisted:

https://www.walmart.com/ip/The-Amazing-Quality-DC-GOLD-AUDIO-W10R-2-x-10-Subwoofers-Pair-White-10-OHM-Parallel/117888641

Seriously. If you are shopping anywhere near that price just go for the Rythmik/GR OB offerings, find a furniture craftsman and be done!  :wink:

Happy Holidays  :green:

Anand.

ebag4

« Reply #3 on: 25 Dec 2016, 02:28 pm »

https://www.walmart.com/ip/The-Amazing-Quality-DC-GOLD-AUDIO-W10R-2-x-10-Subwoofers-Pair-White-10-OHM-Parallel/117888641

Seriously. If you are shopping anywhere near that price just go for the Rythmik/GR OB offerings, find a furniture craftsman and be done!  :wink:

Happy Holidays  :green:

Anand.
X2 :thumb: :thumb:

Merry Christmas!

Best,
Ed

srb

« Reply #4 on: 25 Dec 2016, 03:13 pm »

That's a good thing, as the DC Gold Audio 10 inch driver link on the Rockett Subwoofer page is broken and the DC Gold website doesn't list any 10" subwoofer drivers, only 4" to 9.5" full-range drivers.

The drivers listed on Walmart are Sold and Shipped by K Sparkle   :scratch:

Chicken Man

« Reply #5 on: 27 Dec 2016, 02:12 am »

Better still, if you want a decent OB subwoofer get 8 of these Peerless 830669 's and wire them in series /parallel on a big baffle.

https://www.madisoundspeakerstore.com/approx-12-woofers/peerless-sls-830669-12-woofer-coated-paper-cone/

Plus a cheap subwoofer amp and you'll be laughing, all for around a $1000 bucks.

Mind you, you may crack a few windows and loosen the plaster at full volume but that's just part of getting the best bang for your buck. I did.

C.M 

hifiralph

• Industry Participant
« Reply #6 on: 29 Dec 2016, 02:03 pm »
Greetings to all  As the designer of Surreal Sound's 5th row speaker and the Fern and Roby Rocket subs I feel I need to step in and make several clarifications.  The search for a woofer that was fast enough to make with an electrostatic speaker began in earnest in 2001.  I have tried thousands of dollars worth of woofers and ended up having DC gold build these woofers for us.  A 10 inch Wall Mart woofer isn't worth mentioning because it simply will not work.  The closest other 10 inch driver to the DC gold is the Morel 10 inch driver.  Prices are very close with both costing in the $150 to $175 dollar range each.   These are not Chinese made mass produced units.  It you care to actually measure the driver parameters the variation's of the cheep drivers is all over the place.  I would never base a design on there made up values.  If you want to read more I have posted several articles on Facebook open baffle site.  We have many electrostatic panel speaker owners who can attest to the speed of my design and yes they are the only woofers I have heard that integrate flawlessly.  We have shown these subs at Capital Audio Fest and Rocky mount.  Check out what the reviewers said.  If you want cheep then buy Chinese.  If you want good buy German Scandinavian (Morel is a Dynaudio based design) or USA made drivers  remember you GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR. We do a demo at the shows where we have a good set of speakers the the manufacturer say go down to 30 hertz and we put our subs in the room with them.  While the music is playing we turn off the Rocket dipole subs and everyone in the room has the same reaction. "What just happened" They are in disbelief.  The DC gold 9.5 is similar to our 10.  It is the same size.  We use a custom ultra low inductance, longer excursion coil with the same neo magnet.  I you actually check out people who have heard our bass check out the reviews by Scott Hull on the Surreal 5th row and Dagago.  Until you have actually heard what these subs can do there is really no point writing and opinion about them as way to many people do.  Again there is nothing like them that you can purchase anywhere else.  We guarantee they will match the speed of any electrostatic.  Hope to see you at an audio show.

Slam

« Reply #7 on: 22 Mar 2017, 11:27 am »
@hifiralph are you doing any shows in the Richmond area?

mcgsxr

« Reply #8 on: 22 Mar 2017, 11:44 am »
@hifiralph - welcome to the forum, we always like to see manufacturers, designers and others from the audio community.  Please do review the specifics of how a manufacturer should register and ID themselves.

Thanks!

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #9 on: 22 Mar 2017, 12:07 pm »
Please explain how this sub works.  It's described as a dipole, but the two drivers are stated to be "firing in opposition to each other".  Wouldn't that be a bipole design?  And calling it an open baffle is obviously wrong from the images (and without a cabinet wouldn't the two bipole drivers cancel each other out)? 
« Last Edit: 22 Mar 2017, 06:37 pm by JLM »

Davey

« Reply #10 on: 22 Mar 2017, 03:27 pm »
It looks fairly simple to me.  This is a force-cancelling configuration using a two-driver configuration arranged so the two cones are always moving in opposite directions.
The photographs are poor, so it's a bit difficult to envision the inner construction.  If there was a cutaway view or a photo showing the internals with one of the sides/tops removed, it would be easy to see the dipole operation.

See Linkwitz for an example that dates back many years to the Audio Artistry speakers.
http://www.linkwitzlab.com/woofer.htm

I see nothing innovative with this fernandroby speaker at all.

Dave.

Jazzman53

• Jazzman's DIY Electrostatic Loudspeaker Page
    • Jazzman's Electrostatic Loudspeaker Page
« Reply #11 on: 22 Mar 2017, 03:38 pm »
I'm not sure the statement "moving in opposition to each other" means a Linkwitz type push/pull configuration... it could be interpreted as an opposing push/push configuration, as in a Ripol

Davey

« Reply #12 on: 22 Mar 2017, 04:10 pm »
I'm not sure the statement "moving in opposition to each other" means a Linkwitz type push/pull configuration...

I didn't say it did.  Whether it's "push/push" or "push/pull", the concept is the same.  The cones always moving in exact opposite directions to create the force-cancellation configuration.  The Linkwitz style "W"-frame construction (as it's been sorta labeled) is just an example.
The push/push and push/pull difference/distinction would have a contribution to even-order distortion cancellation, but the cones are still moving opposite to each other at all times.
This type of construction creates resonant cavities, which would need to be characterized.

Dave.

AJinFLA

• Industry Participant
  • Soundfield Audio Loudspeakers
    • Soundfield Audio
« Reply #13 on: 22 Mar 2017, 04:21 pm »
I'm not sure the statement "moving in opposition to each other" means a Linkwitz type push/pull configuration... it could be interpreted as an opposing push/push configuration, as in a Ripol
A so called Ripol is simply a variation of the Linkwitz W frame, as Davey linked. The sub in this thread appears to be a W frame variant. The idea is dipolar radiation in some fashion.

cheers,

AJ

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #14 on: 22 Mar 2017, 04:25 pm »
Titanium: Do you will connect then in phase or out of phase?

Jazzman53

• Jazzman's DIY Electrostatic Loudspeaker Page
    • Jazzman's Electrostatic Loudspeaker Page
« Reply #15 on: 22 Mar 2017, 04:42 pm »
After having a closer look at the photos is appears that the woofers are facing the same direction ala Linkwitz, hence; push/pull if wired in phase.  Whereas the woofers oppose in a Ripol, hence; push/push if wired in phase.   

Davey

« Reply #16 on: 22 Mar 2017, 04:47 pm »
In phase or out of phase ("polarity" is the proper term) connections can be somewhat confusing depending upon how the woofers are mounted.  You connect simply so the woofer cones are always opposing each in their motion.  You might have the woofers wired in series too.  :)

Ripol is essentially the same thing except the construction creates much increased air-loading on the cones to alter their parameters significantly.

The woofers used in this FandR scheme are obviously small-motor types which have high-Q characteristics.  The Hypex plate amplifiers support the required equalization to make this scheme work.

Dave.

poseidonsvoice

• Science is not a democracy - Earl Geddes
    • 2 channel/7 channel setup
« Reply #17 on: 22 Mar 2017, 05:03 pm »
It looks fairly simple to me.  This is a force-cancelling configuration using a two-driver configuration arranged so the two cones are always moving in opposite directions.
The photographs are poor, so it's a bit difficult to envision the inner construction.  If there was a cutaway view or a photo showing the internals with one of the sides/tops removed, it would be easy to see the dipole operation.

See Linkwitz for an example that dates back many years to the Audio Artistry speakers.
http://www.linkwitzlab.com/woofer.htm

I see nothing innovative with this fernandroby speaker at all.

Dave.

Thanks Dave, and very true. You are obviously right this is an open baffle W frame. I figure that most of the cost born is because of the mixture of hardwoods and profits. That's fine, there's probably a market for that, so good luck to the company. The woofers used aren't expensive (in my book!), and neither is the Hypex plate amp. Implementation is what counts so Birch ply will do just fine for me.

Best,
Anand.

AJinFLA

• Industry Participant
  • Soundfield Audio Loudspeakers
    • Soundfield Audio
« Reply #18 on: 22 Mar 2017, 06:13 pm »
After having a closer look at the photos is appears that the woofers are facing the same direction ala Linkwitz, hence; push/pull if wired in phase.  Whereas the woofers oppose in a Ripol, hence; push/push if wired in phase.
Ok, lets try this again

What direction do the "cone" arrows point in?
The only difference with a so called Ripol is the "H" woofer is mounted on the other side of wall "D". It "pushes" in the same direction in a "Ripol".
The Linkwitz W frame is a force cancelling dipole. The so called Ripol is simply a variant, with the woofer mounted on the other side of "D".
The sub in this thread appears to be a W, turned sideways if you will.

Russell Dawkins

« Reply #19 on: 22 Mar 2017, 06:32 pm »
Post deleted; wisdom of hindsight...(couldn't stop myself from being the grammar police!)
« Last Edit: 25 Mar 2017, 03:59 pm by Russell Dawkins »