Pi Peregrination 2017 C&C Tour and Contest

Letitroll98

• Facilitator
  • Too loud is just right
Pi Peregrination 2017 C&C Tour and Contest
« on: 15 Mar 2017, 09:23 pm »
Okay boys and girls, here is the 2017 Raspberry Pi stack tour thread.  Part one is really easy.  JohnR has generously constructed and donated a Raspberry Pi stack including a really nice dac with a TI chipset, a reclocker, power supply, and of course the Raspberry Pi for a U.S. tour.  The tour will run pretty much as all tours do on AC, if you'd like to be on it please post a note in this thread and PM me your name, address, phone number, and email address and you're on the list, no info goes farther than my spreadsheet. We do reserve the right to restrict the tour to those members with over 50 posts, but this won't be a hard and fast rule, if you have a low post count just state your case in your PM.  You'll be keeping the unit one or two weeks tbd by response to the tour.  Your only responsibly is to repack and ship the unit to the next member insured for $200.  The technical part of the tour can be found here:   http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=148609.0  We'll leave the thread up for a couple of weeks before shipping the unit out.

Part two is the really fun twist.  Yes it says "Contest".  JohnR is giving the stack away, that's right, a $200 server stack free to a good home.  All you have to do to win is write the best review of your time with the Raspberry.  That's not going to be the most flowery or most audiophiles buzzwords, but the one with the most information on your experience.  So don't worry if you're not a great wordsmith, no points will be deducted for grammar or composition.  Submissions to be made in this thread and judged by an international consortium of audio experts (okay, John and I).  This is a great opportunity for anyone curious about computer audio and the Raspberry Pi to use a completed product in their system, and to possibly own it.  Please ask about anything I may have left out and let's have a great time with this.

Letitroll98

• Facilitator
  • Too loud is just right
Re: Pi Peregrination 2017 C&C Tour and Contest
« Reply #1 on: 19 Mar 2017, 11:54 am »
Wow, I thought there would be more interest in this.

SFDude

« Reply #2 on: 19 Mar 2017, 05:06 pm »
PM'ed you and would like to sign up. I'm mainly debating between using a RPi or a uRendu as a Roon endpoint and I believe even RPi devices may also be capable to running Roon as an endpoint as well. But for this purpose, it would be to evaluate the unit as built on its own merits as well.

-dave

GentleBender

« Reply #3 on: 19 Mar 2017, 09:40 pm »
I'd be interested in putting this against my 2011 Mac Mini. PM sent.

wushuliu

« Reply #4 on: 19 Mar 2017, 11:16 pm »
Maybe some sexy pics and bites from the tech thread would help. The tech thread is a lot to go through to figure out whether it's a viable option or not.

That aside, I'm curious to hear about the Kali reclocker the stack uses. I've become a big convert to reclocking for dacs a source of major sound quality improvements.

JohnR

« Reply #5 on: 20 Mar 2017, 09:02 am »
Re viable option - the configuration for the tour is (I hope) fairly simple and universal:

* Ethernet cable to your network router
* RCA jacks out (to your preamp or headphone amp etc)

You can play music by either:

1. Plugging in a USB stick with files on it (sample stick provided) and control via web browser
2. Full networked setup option using media server (Win/Mac) and separate controller app (Win/Mac/Android/iOS)

HTH :)

wushuliu

« Reply #6 on: 21 Mar 2017, 03:08 am »
Re viable option - the configuration for the tour is (I hope) fairly simple and universal:

* Ethernet cable to your network router
* RCA jacks out (to your preamp or headphone amp etc)

You can play music by either:

1. Plugging in a USB stick with files on it (sample stick provided) and control via web browser
2. Full networked setup option using media server (Win/Mac) and separate controller app (Win/Mac/Android/iOS)

HTH :)

Ah, okay. Nice...

nature boy

« Reply #7 on: 21 Mar 2017, 09:45 am »
Great idea, thank you.  PM sent.

NB
« Last Edit: 23 Mar 2017, 12:00 pm by nature boy »

Letitroll98

• Facilitator
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #8 on: 22 Mar 2017, 01:06 pm »
Here are some pictures of the Pi Stack on tour.

JohnR

« Reply #9 on: 23 Mar 2017, 09:25 am »
 :thumb:

LesterSleepsIn

• Occasionally consternated
« Reply #10 on: 23 Mar 2017, 11:36 am »
Oh, this sounds like my cup of tea. And yes, I'm very interested in networked audio but I'm a complete noob and don't really know where to start so yes, this would be "a (very) cheap way to get some hands-on experience". Terrific. But be forewarned, my lack of experience might make for a skimpy and leaning towards boring and uninformed review. Besides, I am not like a smart purson and not reel gud with wurds. So, if that's ok with you please count me in.

Cheers,
Lester

JohnR

« Reply #11 on: 23 Mar 2017, 12:08 pm »
Hi Lester, that sounds great! The whole idea of the tour is for people to just try it out and have a go. And not stress out about it, it's just what it is, one way of playing audio and maybe even trying something new!

:thumb:

LesterSleepsIn

• Occasionally consternated
« Reply #12 on: 23 Mar 2017, 12:31 pm »
Thanks John. Looking forward to it!

Cheers,
Lestet

GentleBender

« Reply #13 on: 30 Mar 2017, 09:24 am »
I'm surprised there are not many hits on this. Is everyone judging it by it's looks?  :duh:

Letitroll98

• Facilitator
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #14 on: 30 Mar 2017, 10:21 am »
John and I were a little surprised as well.  I think it looks pretty nice for a homemade unit.  The sound quality on this little guy is amazing, and not just for the price.  So we'll have a mini tour which means everyone will get to keep it for a couple of weeks before shipping it forward.  Perhaps we'll have some add on's as the reviews come in.

GentleBender

« Reply #15 on: 30 Mar 2017, 11:47 am »
You could always upgrade the case if you found you like the sound. I'm a function over form kind of guy though. Not saying that I don't like nice looking things, but not if the performance doesn't match the looks or costs. Sound first, looks last.

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
« Reply #16 on: 30 Mar 2017, 12:04 pm »
Hey! I was off galavanting in Thailand when this was posted. I'm interested in taking part in the tour. I'll be in the US beginning April 19th and will stay until ~mid-October. I imagine we can find a time to squeeze me in, no?

I'll PM you in a couple hours.

Michael

SFDude

« Reply #17 on: 30 Mar 2017, 03:28 pm »
You could always upgrade the case if you found you like the sound. I'm a function over form kind of guy though. Not saying that I don't like nice looking things, but not if the performance doesn't match the looks or costs. Sound first, looks last.

Aesthetics likely drive a good portion of audiophile purchases out there. But if this thing sounds good, slap a nice case around it, charge triple what it should cost and people will flock to buy it.  :green: :duh: :thumb:

Letitroll98

• Facilitator
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #18 on: 30 Mar 2017, 05:39 pm »
Hey! I was off galavanting in Thailand when this was posted. I'm interested in taking part in the tour. I'll be in the US beginning April 19th and will stay until ~mid-October. I imagine we can find a time to squeeze me in, no?

I'll PM you in a couple hours.

Michael

Yes, we have, ahem, a few select spots still open.   :roll:

charmerci

« Reply #19 on: 31 Mar 2017, 06:40 pm »
Sure - I'm open for a listen!

pm sent.