sweet spot for NuP amps

envydd

sweet spot for NuP amps
« on: 16 Feb 2018, 07:25 pm »
Hi

At what volume can you operate a NuP amp in an optimal manner - high volume and low distortion. I am guessing the distortion numbers given in the specs are at 100% volume?

thx

Evoke

• Industry Participant
    • EVOKE Planar Loudspeakers
Re: sweet spot for NuP amps
« Reply #1 on: 16 Feb 2018, 07:44 pm »
Hi

At what volume can you operate a NuP amp in an optimal manner - high volume and low distortion. I am guessing the distortion numbers given in the specs are at 100% volume?

thx

I can tell you from my experience. I have used 3 different speakers - a mini-monitor, large bookshelf and tower with sub. I use the K38 in 4 x 400 mode. The mini monitor and bookshelf love the power. Neither "needs" that power but the dynamic headroom is amazing. The amp performed perfectly.

For the tower that is bi-amped, 400 x 4 is fine up to the LOUDEST volumes. And we all have a few drinks and play something stupidly loud. A few times the amp got mad at the subwoofer demand and soft limited the output. But never distortion. I'd love to be able to bridge the K38 to 800 x 2, that would probably send me to subwoofer heaven. 

So if you have a speaker that works well with 50 watts, you'll never use all the amp EXCEPT dynamics improve. I've used the bookshelf with the IDA16, K38 with 200 watts and 400 watts. The loudness wasn't the difference so much. The staging, ease, dynamics changed - and it was not subtle - any person would do a head snap and say "Wow".  Hope this helps.

envydd

« Reply #2 on: 16 Feb 2018, 07:49 pm »
Thx for the response. Makes sense.

Evoke

• Industry Participant
    • EVOKE Planar Loudspeakers
« Reply #3 on: 16 Feb 2018, 08:14 pm »
Thx for the response. Makes sense.

You're welcome - I'm sure Jason will see this and have something to add. He's sort of obsessive about the product - in a good way :-)

John Casler

« Reply #4 on: 16 Feb 2018, 08:52 pm »
Hi

thx

I might add, that NuPRIME DAC's use an "Advanced, FPGA implemented thin-film switched-resistor ladder network for controlling volume, with a single resistor in the signal path at any volume setting".

So what this means, is you will experience the least distortion and information loss of virtually ANY volume control.

Maximal Listening volumes then will be determined, by your amp and speakers, and the SPL/Range, they play best in.

This means for practical purposes, the Volume Control will not introduce sonic issues, but the limits will be the Amp, Speakers, and Room Interactions (if applicable)

rustydoglim

« Reply #5 on: 18 Feb 2018, 07:38 am »
Typically you want to max out the digital source App's volume if it is from computer, tablet or smartphone.
If you have two external preamp (an analog preamp with DAC-9/DAC-10), a good starting point is mid way for the volume on the external preamp. Then try mid way for Nuprime DAC.  Compare the two by listening.