Kwa 100se accident!

khal

Kwa 100se accident!
« on: 30 Apr 2012, 05:10 pm »
Dear all,
Need help! Had just taken hold of my old jc verdier control B pre. Tried to pair it up with my kwa. After switching on both pre and then power, I Went to make coffee. Suddenly there was a boof! like sound and when I went to check what happened, the kwa had powered down and it has since refused to switch on. Thank God the speakers (Harbeth hl5s) seemed to be ok. Can someone pls explain what might have happened? Thanks so much in advance
Khal

ted_b

• Volunteer
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
Re: Kwa 100se accident!
« Reply #1 on: 30 Apr 2012, 05:27 pm »
First, off never turn on a pre after or near same time as your amps.  No need to amplify preamp's power on thumps!!

Second, unplug the amp, wait a few seconds, and plug it back in.  I bet it comes on.  My KWA-150's, when accidentally shut off by protection, often need a re-boot.

roscoeiii

« Reply #2 on: 30 Apr 2012, 05:36 pm »
Step 1: Call Modwright.

modwright

« Reply #3 on: 11 May 2012, 05:32 pm »
It is likely that the preamp injected DC into the amp when it started.  The amp would then go into protection mod.  Unless you unplug the mains cord and wait 30 seconds, it will not re-start immediately after such a protection incident.

This design is intended to protect your speakers, should such a thing happen.

If, after you unplug the power cord, plug it back in and attempt to re-start the amp, it is still unresponsive, then please by all means, call us.

Sincerely,

Dan W.

decal

« Reply #4 on: 11 May 2012, 10:24 pm »
It is likely that the preamp injected DC into the amp when it started.  The amp would then go into protection mod.  Unless you unplug the mains cord and wait 30 seconds, it will not re-start immediately after such a protection incident.

This design is intended to protect your speakers, should such a thing happen.

If, after you unplug the power cord, plug it back in and attempt to re-start the amp, it is still unresponsive, then please by all means, call us.

Sincerely,

Dan W.

There you go, straight from the horse's mouth. :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

khal

« Reply #5 on: 14 May 2012, 05:17 pm »
Hi Dan
Thanks for the reply, much appreciated. Havent touched the amp since the mishap - worried that I might do more harm to my much loved kwa! Ok, I will try to turn on the amp again. I will let you know how I get on. Thanks again
Khal

khal

« Reply #6 on: 17 May 2012, 04:35 pm »
Hi dan
Just to let you know that - with fingers crossed! - switched on the kwa100se, and waited. Thank god everything was ok and the amp (up till now) playing flawlessly. Anyway, Thanks again for the support.
Best
Khal

modwright

« Reply #7 on: 20 May 2012, 06:30 pm »
Our protection circuitry is well designed and there for a REASON!  Sounds like it did JUST what it should!

Thanks,

Dan