BDP-2 Digital Player

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
Re: BDP-2 Digital Player
« Reply #80 on: 21 Oct 2012, 09:42 pm »
If you are using Amarra etc. and iTunes is there a way to place Folders in the left hand margin rather than just Plylists?

James

srb

« Reply #81 on: 21 Oct 2012, 10:03 pm »
You can make folders (File > New Playlist Folder) but they can only contain playlists, not song files directly.

Steve

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #82 on: 21 Oct 2012, 10:08 pm »
You can make folders (File > New Playlist Folder) but they can only contain playlists, not song files directly.

Steve

Thanks Steve

Figured it out - I am so use to the way Mpad and Mpod work.  :scratch:

James

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #83 on: 23 Oct 2012, 02:22 am »
Hi Chris, James,

You mentioned future usb3 support, but why don't you offer that from the first bdp2 onward? Seems to be the standard for over some time now, in fact you'd have a hard time to find USB hdd s without it, so why not take advantage of that from the beginning?

Thanks,
Marius

Hi Marius,

Once the software is ready it will be a relatively simple upgrade for anybody who has already purchased one.  Also it'll add more then 300 dollars Canadian to the final price for an option that we feel only a handful of people will want.  Once manic moose, our next major release is done; it will pave the wave for USB 3.0.

Cheers,
Chris

JBLMVBC

« Reply #84 on: 31 Oct 2012, 03:17 pm »
Products evolve and get better all the time. As long as the combination I have works for me.
I still would imagine that an upgrade to both digital player and DAC will be available down the road to initial purchasers, especially when we are talking about chips and circuits here.
That's professionalism imo.

MEMO: To all Bryston Customers
SUBJECT: New BDA-2 DAC and BDP-2 Digital Player

October 2012

It is always difficult when you introduce a new product as someone has just purchased the current version of said product.

The BDP-2 Digital Player was designed for those customers that felt the BDP -1 did not have enough features - more drives , larger library capability, esata internal harddrive capability, increase speed with load times etc,  Lack of these features was what prevented some customers from considering the BDP-1 in their systems.

Remember the BDP-2 is not replacing the BDP-1 it is an additional product choice.

The "purist" can stay with the BDP-1 and those requiring additional features can go to the BDP-2. Also the BDP-2 is 1/3 more money than the BDP-1.

As for the BDA-2 external DAC the main reason for the BDA-2 was to add Asynchronous USB 192/24 capability.  DSD capability is also possible with the AKM chips so we are looking at that going forward (software). 

We will also be offering a USB Interface as well for those folks that currently own a BDA-1 which can be used with the BDA-1 and allow for 192/24 USB capability. 

Hope this helps.

James Tanner
Bryston

Blueshirt1

« Reply #85 on: 1 Nov 2012, 10:07 pm »

NAS Connectivity Supported **

**...The NAS units we have used successfully are QNAP, Apple Time Capsule, WD MyBook (NAS), Native Microsoft and shares.

Sorry for my ignorance but does that mean the BDP1 does NOT support NAS attached drives (ex; WDMybook NAS)?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #86 on: 1 Nov 2012, 10:10 pm »
Sorry for my ignorance but does that mean the BDP1 does NOT support NAS attached drives (ex; WDMybook NAS)?

Hi

The BDP-1 will support NAS with the latest software but we have not tried the WDmybookNAS at this point.

james

ttsto

« Reply #87 on: 2 Nov 2012, 09:24 am »
I was almost ready to order bdp1 when i found this anouncement
I want to ask about two features
- gapless playback - will be possible?
- digital volume controll will be also nice addition, do you consider can be added later with sw upgrade?
Thank yoy

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #88 on: 2 Nov 2012, 09:45 am »
I was almost ready to order bdp1 when i found this anouncement
I want to ask about two features
- gapless playback - will be possible?
- digital volume controll will be also nice addition, do you consider can be added later with sw upgrade?
Thank yoy

Hi

Yes Gapless is not an issue but we are not going to provide digital control due to loss of resolution. 

james

PS - if you use the USB input on the BDP and the MAC remote in iTunes you can adjust volume on the remote itouch or iPad.
« Last Edit: 2 Nov 2012, 11:27 am by James Tanner »

darrrio

« Reply #89 on: 3 Nov 2012, 08:23 pm »
Hi,
I've been recently looking at BDP-1, but Bryston main site clearly says it is not UPnP capable. I'm glad to hear something is changing in the latest firmware release. Is there anybody that can tell me more about this feature? Is there an app remote control going to be released? What about gapless playback? DSD streaming over network native or DoP?

Thank you very much indeed!

Dario

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #90 on: 5 Nov 2012, 03:50 pm »
Hi Chris,

Thanks,
still: when I enable the service, in the drives pane in Max2 I see Upnp under my other drives, when i click on that, nothing appears. Still, I have several Upnp/DLNA servers running, on my Macbook, on my Samsung TV, etc etc. My tv sees my Macbook and the various servers (Vuze,PS3 media server, Plex)  , even the Marantz Na7004 does, but not in Max2. Vuze does see the Bdp1:

How to proceed. Do you have some userguide?

Marius

Hi Marius,

The feature is still in beta, i few weeks ago i started playing around with another piece of software that should make the bdp-1 behave much more like a traditional UPnP client.  Doesn't use mpd for playback but rather a proper upnp client for controling playback.  I just havn't had a chance to play with it any further as i have been concentrating my efforts on other projects like the web based firmware update and bRadio.

Cheers,
Chris

Marius

« Reply #91 on: 5 Nov 2012, 07:31 pm »
thanks Chris,

will be glad to test in the beta's.
any news on the Apple Airplay support in the nearing releases?

Marius
maybe we ought to take this to the beta software topic, sorry for this slightly off-topic answer....

Hi Marius,

The feature is still in beta, i few weeks ago i started playing around with another piece of software that should make the bdp-1 behave much more like a traditional UPnP client.  Doesn't use mpd for playback but rather a proper upnp client for controling playback.  I just havn't had a chance to play with it any further as i have been concentrating my efforts on other projects like the web based firmware update and bRadio.

Cheers,
Chris

ttsto

« Reply #92 on: 7 Nov 2012, 07:01 am »
Will be possible to use scrobbling to Last.FM when drive is attached via USB or when playing via upnp? This is a nice feature that helped me to discover many good artists...
Thank you

adol290

« Reply #93 on: 9 Nov 2012, 03:37 pm »

James,

If I ordered a BDP-2 today from my dealer,  when could I expect to receive it. 

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #94 on: 9 Nov 2012, 03:42 pm »
James,

If I ordered a BDP-2 today from my dealer,  when could I expect to receive it.

Hi adol290

The first 25 are pre-sold so I would say any new order about 3 weeks.

james

SGK

« Reply #95 on: 12 Nov 2012, 09:31 pm »
I thought I would repost these questions from another thread here:

"How's the indexing and searching of drives with the BDP-1 over USB 2? Presumably this is an area which would benefit greatly from an eSata connection (USB 2 would be fine for the playback of the file itself).

Also, is the connection for an internal drive a simple plug and play eSata cable? Would something like a 512GB SSD require any housing carriage etc.  (Velcro can work wonders if the cable has some maneuverability.) 

I don't see myself as needing terabytes of media files connected anytime soon (especially while the BDP is still, unfortunately, only 2 channel).

I would want my collection ripped to ALAC so that I can simply duplicate the files in iTunes for playback at my computer and automatically port in lower-res format to all my mobile devices. (The ripping software would add the file to the hard drive for re-connection to the BDP and, at the same, add a copy to my computer's iTunes directory.)

Browsing the BDP connected drives would need to be fast and reliable."

SGK

« Reply #96 on: 12 Nov 2012, 09:35 pm »

Regarding the new BDP-2 and BDA-2 I think it is going to be extremely interesting to see what price PMC come up for the UK market.

Saying that I think the BDP-1 is actually worth £2995 as the Naim NDX cost that and I'd take the BDP-1 or BDP-2, for that matter, every time.

Err I just spat my coffee all over my desk and keyboard!

How about we take the US$ pricing and apply the current exchange rate.  Adjust for the lovely 20% "tax every pound you spend" tax if need be but let's stop middle men gouging UK customers. That gets MSRP and customers would expect a hefty discount from that for an actual purchase.

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #97 on: 13 Nov 2012, 04:26 am »
I thought I would repost these questions from another thread here:

"How's the indexing and searching of drives with the BDP-1 over USB 2? Presumably this is an area which would benefit greatly from an eSata connection (USB 2 would be fine for the playback of the file itself).

Also, is the connection for an internal drive a simple plug and play eSata cable? Would something like a 512GB SSD require any housing carriage etc.  (Velcro can work wonders if the cable has some maneuverability.) 

I don't see myself as needing terabytes of media files connected anytime soon (especially while the BDP is still, unfortunately, only 2 channel).

I would want my collection ripped to ALAC so that I can simply duplicate the files in iTunes for playback at my computer and automatically port in lower-res format to all my mobile devices. (The ripping software would add the file to the hard drive for re-connection to the BDP and, at the same, add a copy to my computer's iTunes directory.)

Browsing the BDP connected drives would need to be fast and reliable."

We did test this, unfortunently I can't remember the exact numbers.  We tested the same USB 3.0/esata encolsure with a 1TB 5400 rpm hard drive and a 240GB OCZ Agility 2 Drive.  We then tested against USB 2.0, USB 3.0 upgrade module and eSata (just a Sata port on the main lard set to AHCI run to the back).  The USB 2.0 and USB 3.0 performed almost identical.  The USB 3.0 was about 5% faster then USB 2.0, but after comparing this to another system running Ubuntu we realized there was something wrong with the firmware.  So until this is figured out, USB 3.0 will be an upgrade for those who already have or about to buy a unit when the time comes.  Esata was about a third faster then USB 2.0 and the ssd was a third faster then the hard drive.

Cheers
Chris

James Tanner

• Facilitator

Xinon

« Reply #99 on: 14 Nov 2012, 05:27 pm »